The Student Room Group

How research into attachment has influenced childcare practices?????

How would you answer this question? I have no idea what i would write,I have my psychology exam tomorrow :frown:
Bowlby’s evolutionary theory suggested that all attachment must be formed between the critical period- birth-2 ½ years. Therefore, all children must form an attachment or they would suffer mentally, physically, emotionally. This has influenced many childcare practices because daycare groups now have a small staff to child ratio of 3:1 hence could provide good quality care for the children below 2/3. Also, Bowlby suggested that a sufficient attachment requires good quality care- this is evident because daycare/childcare practices now provide the children with a range of toys stimulating their non-verbal and verbal reasoning.
Furthermore, facilities in hospitals have advanced due to the study by Roberson and Roberson; in order to prevent detachment, parents can now see children for longer hours/can stay with their child. This stops the infant from detaching and losing the attachment already formed and to combat the effects of PDD- protest, despair and detachment.
Adoption facilities have changed with better requirements; this is also influenced by Bowlby; parents are advised to put their child into adoption before the age 2 or maintain their child long enough before putting the child up for adoption to prevent deprivation effects. Hodges and Tizard studies 65 British children who have been in orphanages and have been adopted; the children who maintained in the orphanage/restored to their original family showed negative effects as they were bullies who didn’t get along well with their peers. Therefore, orphanages have improved with more personal 1:1 relationships and attachments.
Bowlby’s evolutionary study is universal hence applies to all cultures and people around the word so it had an impact on child practices across the globe. Also, Bowlby’s theory is supported by Harlow and Harlow which found that the monkeys were more attached to the mother providing comfort; daycare, orphanages, hospitals etc. pay close attention to the needs of the children with good and well trained staff.
However, NICHD found that daycare has a negative impact on children’s social development therefore, research has not influenced childcare practices as many are still failing to provide adequate care.
On the other hand, compensatory education such are Sure Start is a recent government set up for children in deprived areas in order to prevent them from being at a disadvantage and enables all children to have an equal ‘start’ before starting school. Therefore, research has had a major influence on childcare practices.

I'm sorry is the grammar is terrible- I quickly typed this up earlier on as part of my notes:redface:
Reply 2
Original post by ellie0497
Bowlby’s evolutionary theory suggested that all attachment must be formed between the critical period- birth-2 ½ years. Therefore, all children must form an attachment or they would suffer mentally, physically, emotionally. This has influenced many childcare practices because daycare groups now have a small staff to child ratio of 3:1 hence could provide good quality care for the children below 2/3. Also, Bowlby suggested that a sufficient attachment requires good quality care- this is evident because daycare/childcare practices now provide the children with a range of toys stimulating their non-verbal and verbal reasoning.
Furthermore, facilities in hospitals have advanced due to the study by Roberson and Roberson; in order to prevent detachment, parents can now see children for longer hours/can stay with their child. This stops the infant from detaching and losing the attachment already formed and to combat the effects of PDD- protest, despair and detachment.
Adoption facilities have changed with better requirements; this is also influenced by Bowlby; parents are advised to put their child into adoption before the age 2 or maintain their child long enough before putting the child up for adoption to prevent deprivation effects. Hodges and Tizard studies 65 British children who have been in orphanages and have been adopted; the children who maintained in the orphanage/restored to their original family showed negative effects as they were bullies who didn’t get along well with their peers. Therefore, orphanages have improved with more personal 1:1 relationships and attachments.
Bowlby’s evolutionary study is universal hence applies to all cultures and people around the word so it had an impact on child practices across the globe. Also, Bowlby’s theory is supported by Harlow and Harlow which found that the monkeys were more attached to the mother providing comfort; daycare, orphanages, hospitals etc. pay close attention to the needs of the children with good and well trained staff.
However, NICHD found that daycare has a negative impact on children’s social development therefore, research has not influenced childcare practices as many are still failing to provide adequate care.
On the other hand, compensatory education such are Sure Start is a recent government set up for children in deprived areas in order to prevent them from being at a disadvantage and enables all children to have an equal ‘start’ before starting school. Therefore, research has had a major influence on childcare practices.

I'm sorry is the grammar is terrible- I quickly typed this up earlier on as part of my notes:redface:

Thank you so so much! Good luck tomorrow :smile:
Original post by H.i
Thank you so so much! Good luck tomorrow :smile:

Aw thank you. You too!!

Quick Reply