The Student Room Group

Investment Banking trader

Do analyst traders at credit suisse get weekends and holidays off? If they get holidays off how many days do they get days off? And what time do they start the day and go back home?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Weekends would be off. Markets are not open on weekends so low chance of being called in, unless for random meetings if large goings on are predicted to happen to the market affecting Monday onwards.

For holidays I'm not sure about so won't comment.
Standard 28 day holiday or so. Depends on desk and region your operating, but typical S+T hours are 7-7.
Original post by James E Walker
Standard 28 day holiday or so. Depends on desk and region your operating, but typical S+T hours are 7-7.

Ok thank you :smile: so better than I thought but still a lot of pressure in those 12 hours! So 28 days in one year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iAmanze
Weekends would be off. Markets are not open on weekends so low chance of being called in, unless for random meetings if large goings on are predicted to happen to the market affecting Monday onwards.

For holidays I'm not sure about so won't comment.

Oh okk well at least a person will get weekends off! Sounds better than the other desks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James_hunter7564
Ok thank you :smile: so better than I thought but still a lot of pressure in those 12 hours! So 28 days in one year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't do trading if you don't like pressure.
Don't do trading if you don't like pressure.

I dont mind it considering the amount of pressure i've been having for the last few months. And I understand it will be harder in trading but yh im fine with it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's an extremely high burn out rate involved in trading, primarily because young folk and students alike think it's easy money with little effort.

Long, unforgiving hours in a constant pressurized and stressful environment. If it doesn't appeal to you naturally you're going to struggle immensely.
Original post by Thomson2013
There's an extremely high burn out rate involved in trading, primarily because young folk and students alike think it's easy money with little effort.

Long, unforgiving hours in a constant pressurized and stressful environment. If it doesn't appeal to you naturally you're going to struggle immensely.

Yup I read that on various websites and I think I will be able to do it but I am still not sure. When the time comes I'll decide lol! Are you in trading or do something else? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup I read that on various websites and I think I will be able to do it but I am still not sure. When the time comes I'll decide lol! Are you in trading or do something else? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are uncertain see if you can get some work experience in a firm or an internship so you get a taste of what it's like? There's plenty in the city that offer work experience to my knowledge :smile:

I used to trade in the city when I left college, despite the scope to earn good money I personally didn't like the environment and thought I would be better off elsewhere so I hopped off to Uni to study Law, will be graduating soon.

Some people do love the environment though so don't take my word for it, I would seriously recommend getting some experience first though to see if it's really for you.
Reply 10
If you are uncertain see if you can get some work experience in a firm or an internship so you get a taste of what it's like? There's plenty in the city that offer work experience to my knowledge :smile:

I used to trade in the city when I left college, despite the scope to earn good money I personally didn't like the environment and thought I would be better off elsewhere so I hopped off to Uni to study Law, will be graduating soon.

Some people do love the environment though so don't take my word for it, I would seriously recommend getting some experience first though to see if it's really for you.

You became a trader after A-Levels? How on earth did you manage that? :lol:

Yh no worries I was looking at work experiences and found some for 16 year olds at Credit Suisse etc! I will see if I do like the environment and take that into account. Thank you for all the tips and congratulations on graduating soon! Wish you the best of luck and I hope you succeed and do well in life :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh no worries I was looking at work experiences and found some for 16 year olds at Credit Suisse etc! I will see if I do like the environment and take that into account. Thank you for all the tips and congratulations on graduating soon! Wish you the best of luck and I hope you succeed and do well in life :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I assume you're referring to Steps to Success?
Original post by Noble.

You don't need a degree to be a trader, I know traders that came out of college with BTEC's in Sports, Art and even Construction. This might be the case for large firms which ask for immaculate UCAS point's and top tier degree's but you'll find a lot of London trade offices don't ask for them, more so how well you can sell/trade.

They will put you in a training period of 4 weeks usually, if you can prove your worth you'll get a contract. If you can't then you'll be shown the door.

All you have to do is type in "Trainee Trader" on websites like Indeed.com and thousands of results will come up.

In trading it's not what you know, more so who you know.
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup I am and saw what you need for it so I am looking to achieve those things :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I assume you're referring to Steps to Success?

Yup I saw what you need and hoping I can achieve those things! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup I saw what you need and hoping I can achieve those things! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck, I made it to the assessment centres of their programme, very highly competitive.

If trading interests you read some articles here: http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/sales-trading/
Good luck, I made it to the assessment centres of their programme, very highly competitive.

Oh wow did you do well? Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Noble.

Not trading like what you think of trading as. He's talking about broking i'm guessing, which is calling up possible investors and pitching to them. I know a guy who went into it out of A levels, actually seems to have done decently, works for a big forex firm.
Oh wow did you do well? Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't pass the ACs but know your stuff backwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending