The Student Room Group

AQA Economics AS May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PAPADAPADOPOLOUS
I thought a missing market, was one which was not provided at all. For that reason i thought it couldnt be B due to the fact the market still provides the good, but overprovides.

Intitially i picked D because if a government didnt subsidise then the agricultural farmers may not make income, go bump, and then no longer supply to the market, hence 'missing market'.

I think your right, i was thinking that but id din't think a multiple choice question would want you to go into that much depth. Do you have the mark scheme with you?
Would there always be an option out of the 2 to do an externalities one such as alcohol/healthcare/merit or demerit goods ???? That is all I can do. I hope something like that turns up!! :smile:
Tax is a condition of supply, so it will affect the supply curve, the 'abolition of the tax' means the question wants you do refer to the effect on supply not demand.
Original post by KimberlyKumar
Would there always be an option out of the 2 to do an externalities one such as alcohol/healthcare/merit or demerit goods ???? That is all I can do. I hope something like that turns up!! :smile:

I'd do anything for a question like that!
It cannot be A because the question asks about the rationing function (simply put as prices rise people are not able to buy as many of them consequently the good/service is rationed), and answer A talks about prices rises and new firms entering the industry which although true (an increase in price will attract new suppliers) this doesn't answer the question.

It cannot be C because again this answer doesn't answer the question on the rationing function, although the answer is "true". Beware of this in the multiple choice many of the answers may be correct in theory but will often not answer the question and so will be wrong.

It cannot be D be cause when there is a scarcity the price rises which doesn't make the shortage worse. If chocolate was scarce (ie there isn't much of it) the price would rise, consequently people would buy less chocolate <- the shortage wouldn't worsen.

B is correct and answers the question as the price rises consumption drops as people are less able to buy it. that is the rationing function of the free market
Original post by PPF
Start with an introduction - briefly outlining the motivation, definitions, significance, perhaps recent or historical events that relate to the question. Move on to the main body of your essay using the conventional theory you have learned so, a very simple example, the question asks you about the effect of expansionary monetary and fiscal policies, so basically show the effects using a graphical or algebraic analysis, thereafter you need to critique what you have just wrote. So, for example suppose you said that cutting interest rates would stimulate aggregate demand, and that increasing government spending would also stimulate demand, you need to now question the viability of these claims. Here is a brief list of possible evaluations:

Monetary Policy

Time Lags
Rules VS Discretion
Lucas Critique
Zero-Lower Bound
Rational Expectations
The Importance of Communication
New dimensions post-crisis i.e. QE, Macroprudential etc
Endogenous money supply - reserve-requirements have little effect
Monetary policy is ineffective under a fixed exchange rate regime (Trillema)(Sterilization)
Money neutrality in the long-run

Fiscal Policy

Ricardian Equivalence
Rational Expectations
Slopes of supply and demand
Shadow market - higher taxes (may) result in evasion/avoidance
Politically difficult
Flexible exchange rates make it less effective
Effect depends on the nature or magnitude of private debt in the economy
Laffer Curve
Debt overhang? Austerity exacerbates the problem?

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Would you mind explaining a few of these?
Does anyone know where the mark scheme is for the June 2011 micro paper?? I would greatly appreciate it if someone sent it to me. Thanks!!!!!!
Reply 167
Original post by BBeyond
Would you mind explaining a few of these?

Any in particular?
What do people think the context topic will be????
Original post by PPF
Any in particular?

Lucas Critique
Ricardian Equivalence
Reply 170
Original post by BBeyond
Lucas Critique
Ricardian Equivalence

Cool. I'm just referencing my dissertation, i'll explain them shorty.
Original post by PPF
Cool. I'm just referencing my dissertation, i'll explain them shorty.

thanks man :biggrin:
Hey does anyone have a list of the micro definitions, I have the full economics text book but it has both micro and macro and I'd prefer to just have a list of micro if anyone has them as it is easier than looking through for micro definitions (call me lazy idc) :biggrin:
What diagrams could you draw for intervention regarding externalities. Other than tax and subsidy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I reckon it's about time London 2012 came up in a question context.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do we write a final conclusion in the essay
Does anyone have the main points necessary?
Original post by Exceptional

Posted from TSR Mobile

oHH YHH thats a good point!!!! It could be about the negative externalities produced
Original post by PPF
Start with an introduction - briefly outlining the motivation, definitions, significance, perhaps recent or historical events that relate to the question. Move on to the main body of your essay using the conventional theory you have learned so, a very simple example, the question asks you about the effect of expansionary monetary and fiscal policies, so basically show the effects using a graphical or algebraic analysis, thereafter you need to critique what you have just wrote. So, for example suppose you said that cutting interest rates would stimulate aggregate demand, and that increasing government spending would also stimulate demand, you need to now question the viability of these claims. Here is a brief list of possible evaluations:

Monetary Policy

Time Lags
Rules VS Discretion
Lucas Critique
Zero-Lower Bound
Rational Expectations
The Importance of Communication
New dimensions post-crisis i.e. QE, Macroprudential etc
Monetary policy is ineffective under a fixed exchange rate regime (Trillema)(Sterilization)

Fiscal Policy

Ricardian Equivalence
Rational Expectations
Slopes of supply and demand
Shadow market - higher taxes (may) result in evasion/avoidance
Politically difficult
Effect depends on the nature or magnitude of private debt in the economy
Laffer Curve
Debt overhang? Austerity exacerbates the problem?

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Why have you included so much stuff that's irrelevant to AS economics?
Original post by Exceptional

Posted from TSR Mobile

Little late for an Olympics question as it has been 3 years now.
Reply 179
Original post by anonwinner
Why have you included so much stuff that's irrelevant to AS economics?

Because it isn't irrelevant. Economics is Economics. The idea was to give you guys some additional points to perhaps surprise the examiners and achieve great results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending