The Student Room Group

Why do some white people have a hard time understanding white privilege?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oschene23
I can see that every time I provide a response, your range of discussion diminishes somewhat and becomes further removed from the topic at hand; I'll take that as an ironic compliment to my arguments.

2) Yes, some are still alive, what's your point?
The image of South African society is not what matters, it is what is happening in reality that is of importance. I suppose it's relatively easy to make it to the top when you have 'Black Economic Empowerment' legislation which quotas black people regardless of qualifications into any large white-owned corporation in the country. Imagine the uproar, if we had 'White Working Class Economic Empowerment' in this country where rich blacks were forced to employ whites based on the colour of their skin, not merit.

You have failed to address my main point however, which is that black racism is rife in South Africa, and is very much institutionalised in the country against whites, and the fact that you feel that this is somehow acceptable based on actions taking place 30 years ago, does not sit well with me. Also, I notice how you accept yet brush over white genocide in Zimbabwe, like it's some minor matter which has no importance when placed next to the much more pressing issue of artificially created views about a privilege that somehow exists with no evidence.

If I am racist to someone, and then they are racist towards me when they get the chance, neither is in the right. You fail to grasp this.

I do realise this too but I'll put this on the fact that I'm ill as hell right now (although that does not constitute an excuse, I know).
Positive action does not sit well with white people it seems. But it is necessary to integrate the black population in the workforce even if it's kind of forced. You have to understand that skin colour was in fact the only thing that kept those people from integrating those white owned businesses. Therefore, meritocracy only occured when all those involved had the privilege of the same white skin colour
Ok, on white discrimination. Your point that there is now somekind of reverse racism against white people in South Africa, put forward by the blacks as some kind of revenge for Apartheid and that I agree with this. You seem to think that positive action for blacks is racist against whites because it doesn't provide them with equal opportunity. How could it be when blacks are still less economically privileged than whites and that whites (most of them) have had a continous line of education and economic advantage?
Positive action is done when there is a unprivileged group that needs help to be integrated. That would never happen in the UK because white people have never been and still aren't underprivileged in the UK (except the Irish).
I know it exists in certain countries (only one I can think about is Zimbabwe in fact) but I think it does not occur as often as racism against non-whites does. Thing is, everytime mentions some kind of discrimination against a non-white person, why is there always somebody pushing a non comparable example of discrimination against a white person? What's the point? There's no competition.
Original post by TheWoke
Yet another person hailing abuse at someone who was just trying to have a discussion around a topic, inconvenient truth is hard to hear right.

The fact you think what she said is 'discrimination' shows you have no idea of what the term white privilege means.

Just because YOU are from a poor working class background does not mean white privilege doesn't exist. If you put a poor working class black man and yourself side by side let me know if you honestly think you would face the same struggles.

I am quite familiar with the term. Having experienced its constant usage at my University my the eco-feminist camp on campus, I decided to explore it , research it, and listen to those exposing it. I reached the conclusion that it is nothing but racism masked behind an attempt at social justice.

As I have already explained, white people are far to heterogeneous a group for you to make this sort of sweeping statement. I would argue that socio-economic status is a far more useful indicator than race in determining anything. If you are willing to employ racism as an explanatory variable then you are more than welcome to do so, but do so in the knowledge that you are racist.

Original post by jedanselemyia
Thanks for insulting me again :smile:
You could read this if you want: http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaining-white-privilege-broke-white-person

The **** statement was not directed at you but the people I came into contact with exposing this racist nonsense.

Original post by bottled
What? what do you mean that white people aren't an homogeneous group who always, no matter their circumstance, might not have as much 'privilege' as the next white person

Shockingly, that is exactly what I am saying. To suggest that all whites share the exact same 'privileges' because of their race is ignorant, factually incorrect, and plain racist.

A white, middle class, female academic from an established middle class academic family is going to have far far far more privilege than a white lad from a poor working class background, growing up in an area of low academic attainment, and whose life prospects are, in the grand scheme of things (relative to the British average) quite poor.

To suggest these individuals are the same and have the same privilege is an insult and ignorant of facts.

Original post by BCMFM16
I know this is off topic...where's your profile picture from? It looks so familiar?

Wan Shi Tong, Avatar the Last Airbender.
Original post by SP0TIFY
To make such a bold statement without any backing really does take away from some valid points that you may have made. In actual fact, a lot of people who claim to be 'OG hip hop fans' despise the fact that so many consider Eminem to be the best, purely because he is white. Read up on his background and how it hindered his rise to fame.

To add to your point, there's a quote from Chuck D, the legendary Public Enemy member, who said at the time the Beastie Boys released Paul's Boutique, it was a dirty secret among the black community that it actually had the best beats.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Could be, just like it could be that the tories won the election thanks to selective vote counting. More likely that people buy whatever they enjoy. Without counting I'd expect the artists I listen to regularly are 90% white, that's not racism, that's because I generally enjoy melodeath, a predominantly Scandinavian artform. As for why people have a hard time accepting that white privilege exists? Probably because we hardly see it (well at least any benefits of it) in this country: divides between the privileged and the not privileged in the UK is more along the lines of class and wealth than race.

And that's fine :smile:
People who are the beneficiary of white privilege generally don't see it.
Inequalities are cumulative. Don't you think those discriminated for their skin colour would have a tougher time earning more and moving upwards in the social pyramid?
And that's fine :smile:
People who are the beneficiary of white privilege generally don't see it.
Inequalities are cumulative. Don't you think those discriminated for their skin colour would have a tougher time earning more and moving upwards in the social pyramid?

Because the benefits are minimal - basically it means that at best a white working class person gets 1 less kick to the gut than his BME counterpart. They still receive more kicks than a middle class BME person though.

To an extent, but the idea of racial inequality being a major player in the UK is somewhat naive - there's some degree of racial divide between classes since in terms of generations slavery was only abolished recently, but the majority of disparity between people is a result of their class, not their race.
There is no such thing.
what does white privilege mean
Trying to explain white privilege to white people is like talking to a brick wall. But at least the brick wall will let you finish your argument.
Original post by Ndella
Trying to explain white privilege to white people is like talking to a brick wall. But at least the brick wall will let you finish your argument.

Never mind lol, i found out

x

This is the UK of 2015, not theUK of 1975…First, that was published in 1988. I’d also like to think that the UK has been more progressive in say…1988 than the US has been in say…1998. BTW,I’m Asian (Pakistani). I think “white privilege” may have existed in the past,but I don’t think it exists today. Not in a society, where I can go for the same job as a white guy, and they’ll look at me for my qualifications, and not my name, nor my ethnicity.

1. I can also do this if I wanted to. I wouldn’t be friends PURELY cos they’re Asian though. I have white friends and Asian friends. Colour doesn't come in to it.

2. Many white English Londoners are priced out of London, because of rich Arab Sheikhs buying it up. The affordability is more based on your income, more than any thing else..

3. THIS is racist in itself. It is implying that white people are pleasant, and non-white people aren’t

4. I can also go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

5. This is bull****. In Pakistan,you’re likely to see Pakistani (or Indian) people on the TV. If any thing, the UK is pretty good at being quite inclusive here, to reflect the ethnic makeup of the UK

6. What? I never heard that..ever. One of my science teachers did say “This Arab scientist discovered x” This is the UK; not the US. We learn world history. Not nationalistic history, which only lists the achievements of the UK or “white people”

7. I’ve never seen that happen…ever…I see a secular education, where colour is totally irrelevant

8. What’s her point? She found a publisher for her book. Woop de doo. You don’t have to be white to do that.

9. I could also do this, and you do also see say…black people being quite over represented in the music industry. I can also go in to a hairdressers shop, to find someone who could
cut my hair (And quite often white people too)

10. This is bull****, as decisions are made by a PC, and I’ve never had any issues with credit…

11. I can ALSO arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.

12. This one sounds more applicable in the US. I’ll give you that. I don’t see it as a UK thing however

13. Again, this is the UK; not the US.

14. I can ALSO do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.

15. I am ALSO never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.

16. That’s not just white people.Many people are woefully ignorant about other people’s cultures, regardless of their race.

17. Bloody hell. I criticise the gov’t SO MUCH. I don’t know anyone who sees me as a “cultural outsider” for doing so.

18. I’ve spoken to people in charge, who weren’t white. I’ve been interviewed by both a white guy and a Chinese guy

19. The IR freaking S? Really? I admit that there are going to be some racist police officers, and for quite some time in the UK, we had institutionalised racism, but again we are in the year 2015, and we are NOT the USA.

20. Perhaps you have a point there regarding postcards, greeting cards, dolls or toys. The others; no. In China, the “fairer” dolls sell better than the darker ones. Racism isn’t just a white person’s thing

21. I can ALSO go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance, or feared.

22. I can ALSO take a job with anaffirmative action employer without having co-workers on the job suspect that Igot it because of race. The only people who’d think that are gonna be racist********s, and no matter how much you progress, you are going to get people like that. Some Catholics still hate some Protestants and vice versa

23. I can ALSO choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.

24. I can ALSO be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.

25. If my day, week, or year isgoing badly, I need not ALSO ask of each negative episode or situation whetherit has racial overtones.

26. What? Racist bandages?Seriously? It’s a bandage. I’d prefer a white bandage, because well it’s easy to sign for people, and it’s probably cheaper to make the bandage white. What next. Racist fridges? Racist tupperware?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Because the benefits are minimal - basically it means that at best a white working class person gets 1 less kick to the gut than his BME counterpart. They still receive more kicks than a middle class BME person though.To an extent, but the idea of racial inequality being a major player in the UK is somewhat naive - there's some degree of racial divide between classes since in terms of generations slavery was only abolished recently, but the majority of disparity between people is a result of their class, not their race.

I agree with what you said but doesn't race often "coincide" with class: as in, certain ethnic groups happen to be overrepresented in the bottom or at the top of the class system?
This is just a forum, calm down.
That's the point. Do you see bandages being for dark skinned black people? It seems silly at first but it's trying to show that products in general are geared towards white people, regardless of the fact they're the majority or not.

Bandages are white in Pakistan too... Plasters (or "band aids") from the NHS are typically brown. From the shops, they're generally brown/white/blue. It's not that hard to notice that you've got a bandage or a plaster on, regardless of your race.
That's what's being criticised
By the way, good for you if you like being a white man.

What's wrong with that exactly?

PErsonally:

Do I like being Asian? No
Do I DISLIKE being Asian? No.

It's not something that I really care about, so I have no opinion either way tbh. Colour is irrelevant in the UK of 2015.
You're very right. This is an other reason as to why white rappers like Eminem and Macklemore have more success than their PoC counterparts in the US, for example

Ah yes! We should start a campaign to get 50 Cent, Dr Dre, Jay-Z, and P Diddy noticed.

Oh wait, they all have larger fortunes than Eminem does.

Still, Lil Wayne, Snoop Dogg, Kanye, LL Cool J, Pharrell, Akon, Will. I. Am and Nelly could probably do with our help.
Original post by The_Internet
Bandages are white in Pakistan too... Plasters (or "band aids") from the NHS are typically brown. From the shops, they're generally brown/white/blue. It's not that hard to notice that you've got a bandage or a plaster on, regardless of your race.

Fine. But one could say the same about beauty products for example.
Original post by The_Internet
What's wrong with that exactly?

PErsonally:

Do I like being Asian? No
Do I DISLIKE being Asian? No.

It's not something that I really care about, so I have no opinion either way tbh. Colour is irrelevant in the UK of 2015.

This makes you look ridiculous. Do you think they need defending?
Fine. But one could say the same about beauty products for example.

Do they though? I know in South Asia, they try to be "fairer" (Ingrained racism descending from the caste system) but otherwise... I've never known a white person to wear makeup that makes them..more white...
I agree with what you said but doesn't race often "coincide" with class: as in, certain ethnic groups happen to be overrepresented in the bottom or at the top of the class system?

This is slightly confounded by the fact that immigrants tend to be towards the bottom of the class system, and because they start out with less money, and have to start by settling in places which are themselves full of working class white people - and immigration has been the source of a lot of ethnic groups over the past 50+ years. However over time this changes and ethnic groups become evened out over the classes. A good example of this would be Jewish immigrants who are now mostly middle class. I know plenty of middle class black and asian (as in both chinese-asian and indian-asian) people, and they actually tend to have higher educational aspirations for their children (or if not aspirations then making them work hard! :tongue:) than your average working class white english person, which in turn gives the next generations a lot more social mobility. To be honest I think any race-class phenomenon is more to do with general problems facing all people with class in this country, as opposed to a particular race issue.
(edited 8 years ago)
This makes you look ridiculous. Do you think they need defending?

Why does it make me look ridiculous? I see every one as human beings. Their skin colour is irrelevant. Sure if I describe someone I might say "They're white or blackor Asian" but otherwise it's just another characteristic of someone
Original post by Meyrin
I wish my biggest concern was that a plaster didn't match my skin tone.

And once again Americans assume USA = everywhere else. We don't have the IRS or "traffic cops", sweetheart.

Well we do have the traffic police, but yeah the USA is not the same as every where else...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending