The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Can you hit someone if provoked?

Can you hit someone if they get in your face/threaten you/piss you off (e.g.. swear at family members)?

I know you can use reasonable force to defend when attacked but which other scenarios are you allowed to hit someone in?

Scroll to see replies

No, I've never been a violent person and I wouldn't hit someone. That would just make the situation worse.
Unless they attack you, then no.
Reply 3
Depends. If you're careful this thing wouldn't happen in the first place. Most mature people do their best to avoid it.

If not, hit him first and hit him hard. Surprise him so you take him off guard
No, unless you have reasoning behind it. - (In terms of attacking someone for mouthing off to a family member)

If someone gets in your face and you feel as though your safety is at risk, you are lawfully allowed to push them away with little malice behind it. Anyone is allowed to use reasonable force to either protect themselves, others or to carry out an arrest and/or prevent crime. This is legal.

For example, if someone approached you in the street with a bat in hand and threatened to attack/kill you. You are allowed to lawfully defend yourself with as much force as you deem necessary, this is still the case if you attack with a weapon to hand yourself.

A notable example of using force without defending yourself is if you have an intruder in your home. You are lawfully allowed to use force to protect yourself and family members from the intruder. You are not allowed to use grossly disproportionate force however, for example if you knock the burglar unconscious and continue to strike him/her then you can be liable for offence.
Hit someone if you think you can win the fight. If not, don't.
Reply 6
Original post by uxa595
Can you hit someone if they get in your face/threaten you/piss you off (e.g.. swear at family members)?

I know you can use reasonable force to defend when attacked but which other scenarios are you allowed to hit someone in?

If you lose your temper enough you wont even think about it or the consequences, you will just hit them.

To be honest at the end of the day it is best to avoid the situation fully, due to the aftermath that can happen.

I suppose if they get in your face and threaten you and you tell them to back off yet they continue, then you give them a warning that if they don't back off you will drop them. And they then continue, smack them instantly no questions asked. A man can only take so much crap.
(edited 8 years ago)
May I refer you all to the CPS website, it'll answer most of the questions and is a very interesting read!

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/self_defence/#Pre-emptive
I almost did twice this week. It's been the most difficult week I've had to deal with in over two years. I went four consecutive days with next to no sleep and on top of that, every single day I've had to deal with new **** and it's just become too much. I'm heading for probably my biggest manic episode since 2013 so I'm getting to that point where I have no limits or self-control.

Anyway, yesterday I went shopping and some random woman said something about me to her friend in a really passive aggressive way while they passed me. It took about a minute for my mind to process it, and when it did this burning rage took over. I saw her go to pay for something so I put down what I was going to buy and as I stormed past her I shouted "SOMEONE in this shop is a HUGE BITCH" and stared at her and her friend. What she said about me started off with "someone in this shop..." so I decided to join in the passive aggressive game but bring it up a level. There were some people around us and every single one of them just stopped what they were doing and stared at me. It was like something out of Eastenders. :mmm: I went to my sister's car, got in, and told her to go home but she wouldn't. She wanted to know what happened. When I started telling her I broke down into tears not because of what the woman said but because of her sheer ignorance and it was like the final straw after everything else that happened this week. I managed to keep myself together until then. The first words I said to my sister when I started crying were "why do people judge me when they don't know what the hell I'm dealing with?" and then I started rambling about the other difficult **** that this week decided to throw at me.

When I calmed down a little (not much) the rage came back and I said to my sister "I feel like I could slap that woman. Where is she? Has she left yet? I'm going back. She needs a slap." So I stormed out of the car and into the shop and for the life of me I could not remember what she looked like. As I went in everyone stared at me and I heard someone almost whisper "that's her" about me. I saw there were some people around but I didn't want to go up to just anyone and slap them in case it wasn't her so I knew I had to leave. I think they could tell I had been crying and they must have been shocked because no one said or did anything to me. It's like I was invincible. When I wanted to get back into my sister's car my mum wouldn't let me. She just held my hand as I started crying some more. I wish that disgusting bitch came to me for round 2 so I could tell her all about bipolar and psychosis and the suicidal thoughts that came as a result of my sister doing **** all to help me when I was seeing/feeling a dead girl watching me every time I tried closing my eyes for more than 8 seconds. The ignorant ****er needs to learn that before judging someone personally and maliciously she should really try ****ing hard to find out a bit of personal background first. :rant:

If it happens again then I know I won't hesitate. The best part of mania for me is that it completely lowers my inhibitions so if I want to hit someone then I will. Violence is generally a no-go for me unless I'm in a position like this. Back in 2014 I was in a fist fight in an Elliot Minor gig. I wasn't the one that started it, though I did provoke it. :mmm:
(edited 8 years ago)
heheh, i did, not even ashamed.
This boy at school thought it would be funny to ruin my friends and I's study period by taking our food etc. Except, when he took the food he spilled my coffee all over my notes and books, and my friends things too. SO I went to the bathroom to wash my scalded hand and then sneaked out to find this boy.
I kid you not as soon as I saw this kid I went into a black girl rage.
IF YOU SAW ME OMG.
If you've ever seen a black, Jamaican girl get angry, you know what it looks like. I am not a very tall person but I was so ready to take this 6ft something guy on.
And it was him that got into trouble.
Reply 10
Original post by william walker
Hit someone if you think you can win the fight. If not, don't.

I only ask as usually the other party doesn't know who you are. Recently though, this guy I know threatened me with a bottle and I don't like being threatened so...

Reading that, it seems what I did was perfectly fine.
Original post by uxa595
I only ask as usually the other party doesn't know who you are. Recently though, this guy I know threatened me with a bottle and I don't like being threatened so...

Reading that, it seems what I did was perfectly fine.

If someone is threatening you with a bottle and you knock them out I don't have any issue with that.
If they were just shouting I wouldn't hit them, but if they began to physically harass you/a friend/family then I say it's fine. If it looks like someone is about to hit you then I'd say it's fine then too

I'm usually a pretty chill person when it comes to other people, it takes a lot to piss me off, although when I get angry I tend to get pretty aggressive. I swear every time I do get angry it reduces my life expectancy by about a year :tongue:
I would say only if they hit you first
Reply 14
Can you?
Yes.

Should you?
Probably not, no.
Unless you feel threatened and feel it would be protecting yourself, in which case - self defence.
Original post by Vixen47
wtf

****ing hell, your life is a train wreck.
Original post by Vixen47
I almost did twice this week. It's been the most difficult week I've had to deal with in over two years. I went four consecutive days with next to no sleep and on top of that, every single day I've had to deal with new **** and it's just become too much. I'm heading for probably my biggest manic episode since 2013 so I'm getting to that point where I have no limits or self-control.

Anyway, yesterday I went shopping and some random woman said something about me to her friend in a really passive aggressive way while they passed me. It took about a minute for my mind to process it, and when it did this burning rage took over. I saw her go to pay for something so I put down what I was going to buy and as I stormed past her I shouted "SOMEONE in this shop is a HUGE BITCH" and stared at her and her friend. What she said about me started off with "someone in this shop..." so I decided to join in the passive aggressive game but bring it up a level. There were some people around us and every single one of them just stopped what they were doing and stared at me. It was like something out of Eastenders. :mmm: I went to my sister's car, got in, and told her to go home but she wouldn't. She wanted to know what happened. When I started telling her I broke down into tears not because of what the woman said but because of her sheer ignorance and it was like the final straw after everything else that happened this week. I managed to keep myself together until then. The first words I said to my sister when I started crying were "why do people judge me when they don't know what the hell I'm dealing with?" and then I started rambling about the other difficult **** that this week decided to throw at me.

When I calmed down a little (not much) the rage came back and I said to my sister "I feel like I could slap that woman. Where is she? Has she left yet? I'm going back. She needs a slap." So I stormed out of the car and into the shop and for the life of me I could not remember what she looked like. As I went in everyone stared at me and I heard someone almost whisper "that's her" about me. I saw there were some people around but I didn't want to go up to just anyone and slap them in case it wasn't her so I knew I had to leave. I think they could tell I had been crying and they must have been shocked because no one said or did anything to me. It's like I was invincible. When I wanted to get back into my sister's car my mum wouldn't let me. She just held my hand as I started crying some more. I wish that disgusting bitch came to me for round 2 so I could tell her all about bipolar and psychosis and the suicidal thoughts that came as a result of my sister doing **** all to help me when I was seeing/feeling a dead girl watching me every time I tried closing my eyes for more than 8 seconds. The ignorant ****er needs to learn that before judging someone personally and maliciously she should really try ****ing hard to find out a bit of personal background first. :rant:

If it happens again then I know I won't hesitate. The best part of mania for me is that it completely lowers my inhibitions so if I want to hit someone then I will. Violence is generally a no-go for me unless I'm in a position like this. Back in 2014 I was in a fist fight in an Elliot Minor gig. I wasn't the one that started it, though I did provoke it. :mmm:

ok
I hit someone because they shoot an elastic in my eye would you say this was a fair reason to do so
Reply 18
No, it's unacceptable.
Reply 19
All the pacifists on here, hahaha. Where I grew up you chinned people for this sort of thing, if you didn't, you''d get eaten up.

Latest

Trending

Trending