The Student Room Group

People earning over £60000 should have a 0.8 to the pound tax rate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cleverasvoltaire
So I, as a future law student, become a barrister after working extremely hard for 3 years at Cambridge, get a starter salary of say 70,000 pounds and then only get to keep £14,000 of it? What sounds fair to me is I keep what I earn, you keep what you earn. Plain and simple.

They'd only tax 80% of 14,000 of your wage, since your first 60,000 only taxed at the standard rate.

Nonetheless, I agree with your sentiment: Poor people, help yourselves.
Original post by hockham jaynsaw
They'd only tax 80% of 14,000 of your wage, since your first 60,000 only taxed at the standard rate.

Nonetheless, I agree with your sentiment: Poor people, help yourselves.

Ah fair enough. And yes that does seem like a good sentiment, does it not?
Please do enlighten me. I haven't really looked in to how taxes are calculated (I know, I'm stupid) but is it not better if taxes are as low as possible, so people keep more of what they earn? And you never know, my grades may take a massive dip. But I presume not.

There have been quite a few posts describing how it works, so I don't feel the need to go over it again.
Original post by EatAndRevise
There have been quite a few posts describing how it works, so I don't feel the need to go over it again.

I'll read back. But still it seems fair that I keep as much of what I earn as possible and others do the same, no?
Ah fair enough. And yes that does seem like a good sentiment, does it not?

Uh huh. I mean, you've got to give it to them: They have the balls to sit there and tell us we should be using our money to help them out, and there's not a lot we can do about it since the majority earn <£60000 :lol:
Uh huh. I mean, you've got to give it to them: They have the balls to sit there and tell us we should be using our money to help them out, and there's not a lot we can do about it since the majority earn <£60000 :lol:

Exactly! I've worked hard to go to private/public schools and have a private tutor! Screw the poor.
Why not just go all the way and take it all?
Exactly! I've worked hard to go to private/public schools and have a private tutor! Screw the poor.

Harrow's grace period put me off. Ended up withdrawing my app and going elsewhere... Not to mention the capping. How do you cope?
Reply 48
So what about the bracket of £150,000 and up, which both my parents and my brother are in?

Except they aren't, are they? :rolleyes:

Why is it that in every financial related thread I stumble upon more lies from you? If you spent as much time working on improving your finances as you do lying about it on here.. you might actually be rich one day.
(edited 8 years ago)
Harrow's grace period put me off. Ended up withdrawing my app and going elsewhere... Not to mention the capping. How do you cope?

Capping is the least of my problems to be honest. There's a lot of pressure on everyone which seems to help me. Plus the other sixth forms I applied to didn't seem anywhere near as good. Where did you end up?
So what about the bracket of £150,000 and up, which both my parents and my brother are in? Say I'm on £200,000, do I only keep £40,000 Also, I fully intend to one day be Conservative leader so I shall be battling you for the PMship.

Hello. At the moment my family have no money and I will be unable to attend any open days for universities which should be really helpful. Is there anywhere I can get a bursary or financial assistance to pay for transport?

Okay so I got 6 A*s at GCSE, 3 As and 2 Bs. predicted straight As at AS but I think I may get a B in philosophy. Also taking English Lit, History and maths and my Lit coursework is full marks. I should hopefully get over 90% in all the other exams. Will Cambridge look down on my GCSEs and a B at AS?
Edit: Also I'm applying for law.

"14 A*s at GCSE
Aiming for AAAA in AS
A*A*A*A* pls
Aiming for Law at Churchill College"

You do seem to be rather dishonest.
Original post by Reue
Except they aren't, are they? :rolleyes:

Why is it that in every financial related thread I stumble upon more lies from you? If you spent as much time working on improving your finances as you do lying about it on here.. you might actually be rich one day.

Ah. So I shouldn't except a response about Harrow traditions? Shame, that!
Reply 52
Ah. So I shouldn't except a response about Harrow traditions? Shame, that!

I wouldnt hold your breath.
"14 A*s at GCSE
Aiming for AAAA in AS
A*A*A*A* pls
Aiming for Law at Churchill College"

You do seem to be rather dishonest.

I explained this on another forum earlier. I have posted for multiple people. In multiple different circumstances. Or maybe I'm severely bipolar. Who knows.
Reply 54
You, as a future student at Cambridge University, should have the common sense to understand how the system works.

They would have to get an offer first :lol:
£60,000 ain't that much i earnt £120,000 a year last year as i was combining 3 jobs, private sales and working as a partial manager of a private store
I explained this on another forum earlier. I have posted for multiple people. In multiple different circumstances. Or maybe I'm severely bipolar. Who knows.

Do you have many poor friends at Harrow? I'm glad to hear the scholarship scheme seems to be better than it was. When I applied a few years ago, there was 1 partial scholarship available.
Original post by jamesthehustler
£60,000 ain't that much i earnt £120,000 a year last year as i was combining 3 jobs, private sales and working as a partial manager of a private store

And you're on TSR because?
Original post by TheTechN1304
The top 1% of the population contribute 27% of the total tax revenue. They already are 'doing their bit'. People should be encouraged to work and should get help to do so. Benefits should supplement an income, not replace one altogether. Taking from the rich and giving to the poor would not do a thing if the money isn't being invested in helping improve their education, job prospects etc. If you set the tax rate to 80%, there would be no incentive for people to work hard and earn more. What would be the point of wanting to earn more money if the government just took it all away? You'd also have a situation where the richest in society flock to other countries with lower taxes. This happened in France: they set the top rate of tax (for over 1m euros) to 75%, and last year they lost 14bn euros in tax revenue. Why? Because people were leaving the country.

Would rep but I've run out
Reply 59
Original post by jamesthehustler

Been through your lies already.

Quick Reply

Latest