The Student Room Group

Exotic Car?

If I worked in an investment bank e.g. Goldman Sachs as a trader and after a year or 2 of being an analyst I went into Hedge Fund how long would it take me to buy an exotic car like a Lamborghini and to buy around a £5 million house in London. Worst case scenario and best case scenario lol!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm an equities analyst at a fairly large hedgefund, I live in a shared flat and I don't own a car. Pay isn't that much higher then IBD was. It's going to take a while, your not getting 1mm a year as an analyst.
Original post by fuuji
I'm an equities analyst at a fairly large hedgefund, I live in a shared flat and I don't own a car. Pay isn't that much higher then IBD was. It's going to take a while, your not getting 1mm a year as an analyst.

Yup I understand that but you get more after 2-3 years of being an analyst and it depends on whether you're good or not doesn't it? So if a really good worker got in millions of pounds yearly for the company they would get a much bigger bonus wouldn't they? I'm not sure lol I just thought they would?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha typical ambitions :lol: work on getting in first :tongue:

It's variant on your company, performance, progression and most importantly pay checque. Best case, you did a trade that earnt billions and you get it 2 months into your Hedge Fund stint. Worst case, you lost a **** tonne for your HF, you get fired the next week and no-one hires you again :K:

We can test the assumption, give me the distributions and I'll run a hypothesis on your behalf Where H0 >= Your dreams. I'll give you a probability of it happening and then run a poisson distribution test to give you the likelihood of how long it might take testing it after every 2 years from when you get hired by the HF.
Original post by gr8wizard10
Haha typical ambitions :lol: work on getting in first :tongue:

It's variant on your company, performance, progression and most importantly pay checque. Best case, you did a trade that earnt billions and you get it 2 months into your Hedge Fund stint. Worst case, you lost a **** tonne for your HF, you get fired the next week and no-one hires you again :K:

We can test the assumption, give me the distributions and I'll run a hypothesis on your behalf Where H0 >= Your dreams. I'll give you a probability of it happening and then run a poisson distribution test to give you the likelihood of how long it might take testing it after every 2 years from when you get hired by the HF.

Haha I hope I do get in :smile: so say I got a spring week internship from Goldman Sachs or Credit Suisse and they were impressed and loved me (not being cocky lol) then I get the job offer straight after uni. So 21. I am a trader analyst for 2 years then I decide to go into Hedge Fund (I know its very competitive but say if I do) how long from being a first year Hedge Fund trader would it take to get the 5 mil house and exotic car? Including the taxes and everything. Also I am not going to drive the exotic car everywhere so less money on petrol. Probably drive it once every 2 months. And I was a very good trader at the Hedge Fund and again everyone loved me lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by James_hunter7564
Yup I understand that but you get more after 2-3 years of being an analyst and it depends on whether you're good or not doesn't it? So if a really good worker got in millions of pounds yearly for the company they would get a much bigger bonus wouldn't they? I'm not sure lol I just thought they would?

Posted from TSR Mobile

depends on if you make money and to be honest I believe in the efficient market hypothesis so I don't think you can really pick stocks accurately. No one here seems that rich, yeah portfolio managers have, but no one junior. Rich guys are all like 40s not 20s. There's not like 25 year olds showing up to work in lambos, it's largely a bunch of fairly geeky guys.
Original post by fuuji
depends on if you make money and to be honest I believe in the efficient market hypothesis so I don't think you can really pick stocks accurately. No one here seems that rich, yeah portfolio managers have, but no one junior. Rich guys are all like 40s not 20s. There's not like 25 year olds showing up to work in lambos, it's largely a bunch of fairly geeky guys.

Yh I know haha I estimated that I will get the 5 mil house around 40 years old but the exotic car around 50 haha! Are you a trader?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yh I know haha I estimated that I will get the 5 mil house around 40 years old but the exotic car around 50 haha! Are you a trader?

Posted from TSR Mobile

equities analyst so I research stocks and say what I think we should buy. I don't think we have traders in the office actually, not involved with the execution of trades at all.
Original post by fuuji
equities analyst so I research stocks and say what I think we should buy. I don't think we have traders in the office actually, not involved with the execution of trades at all.

Oh thats really good! Congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Good luck moving to a hedge fund so early on into trading at a BB. Not to mention the fact that nowadays IB traders have much less of a directly attributable PnL, 1-2 years in you pretty much aren't going to have the kind of experience a hedge fund looks for in a trader.

You'd be better off starting at a prop firm, where you would have a directly attributable PnL - there's the potential to make serious money at a prop firm early on if you're good, but likewise the majority of people who start at a prop firm are gone within 12 months.

Also I can't help but think you're trolling here - did I really just read you say that you're going to buy a 5 million house and an exotic car, but only drive it 'every couple of months' to save petrol money? :rofl:
Original post by Noble.
Good luck moving to a hedge fund so early on into trading at a BB. Not to mention the fact that nowadays IB traders have much less of a directly attributable PnL, 1-2 years in you pretty much aren't going to have the kind of experience a hedge fund looks for in a trader.

You'd be better off starting at a prop firm, where you would have a directly attributable PnL - there's the potential to make serious money at a prop firm early on if you're good, but likewise the majority of people who start at a prop firm are gone within 12 months.

Also I can't help but think you're trolling here - did I really just read you say that you're going to buy a 5 million house and an exotic car, but only drive it 'every couple of months' to save petrol money? :rofl:

Anything more than 2-3 years is fine actually and I am talking about London not America. And I was just saying that not trolling and I knew it would take some time but I just wanted to hear from real investment bankers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Anything more than 2-3 years is fine actually and I am talking about London not America. And I was just saying that not trolling and I knew it would take some time but I just wanted to hear from real investment bankers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't referring to America specifically in anything I said :s-smilie:
Original post by Noble.
I wasn't referring to America specifically in anything I said :s-smilie:

The term 'Bulge Bracket'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
The term 'Bulge Bracket'

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just referring to the large investment banks. Every single one of the bulge-bracket banks have a presence in London.
Original post by Noble.
I'm just referring to the large investment banks. Every single one of the bulge-bracket banks have a presence in London.

Yh I know I really dont know why I said that ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
He is not a troll, he is an ogre :smile:
Original post by spoli21
He is not a troll, he is an ogre :smile:

Hahaha you got that right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Noble.

why is that?
Reply 18
Original post by MAINE.
why is that?

Most prop firms are pretty much sink or swim. With the exception of a couple prop firms, you've got your own (small) book within about 4 months and if you don't perform you're out. There's a hire/fire mentality at a lot of prop firms anyway (at all levels), and part of that business model does seem to involve taking on a shed-load of new traders, knowing only a minority will cope and quickly getting rid of the chaff.
Reply 19
Original post by Noble.
Most prop firms are pretty much sink or swim. With the exception of a couple prop firms, you've got your own (small) book within about 4 months and if you don't perform you're out. There's a hire/fire mentality at a lot of prop firms anyway (at all levels), and part of that business model does seem to involve taking on a shed-load of new traders, knowing only a minority will cope and quickly getting rid of the chaff.

I see. Just like Boiler Room :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending