The Student Room Group

Should I quit? :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XMaramena
I just wonder why you want to study classics? Make sure you start with a career choice, and work your way back from that in terms of choosing the right courses, the best universities in terms of networking and faculty, etc etc

I see... Thank you kind ser.

It's just classical civilisations have always enthralled me.

Investment banking sounds pretty good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
I see... Thank you kind ser.

It's just classical civilisations have always enthralled me.

Investment banking sounds pretty good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

See, there's the thing. When to study something because you're interested in it, and when to study something because it can lead to a career ambition.

One example: I always wanted to be a film score composer, right since the start. So, when I was young, I went to Guildhall on weekends, then went to music school after that, then once I had my musical background sorted, did my degree in Audio Production to provide the "technological" side to working with music for film, and now I've scored some short films, won a few awards in the field and I'm on my way - slowly but surely - to that end goal.

However, I've also been fascinated by law. I've done my educational qualifications needed for my career (unless I choose an MA in Music Composition for Film and Television at some point in the future), and I recently started a free online course in International Business Law.

I think a lot of people do degrees in things because they're just interested in the subject, even if they don't intend to pursue a career in it, and personally, I advise putting your career subject first (if it's a lifetime ambition career, then being interested in it should come as part of the package), and other interests pursued in ways that aren't a $40,000 3 year degree that takes over your life for that period of time.

Just my two cents.
It's not that. I respect my parents for taking care of me and worrying about my exams and such, but they frequently give me these condescending talks about choosing the right career in life and doing the right thing (with an unsubtle undertone of "do chem/IT/law, because you're not smart enough for medicine":wink:. I feel like I'm being slowly cornered into submission, and I'm really afraid that they'll make me agree with them - my parents can be quite scary and strict when they need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're an Oxbridge applicant and your parents don't think you're smart enough for Medicine? Hah...

Do what you enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, you wont do anywhere near as well at it. Something many parents fail to understand.
Original post by hellodave5
You're an Oxbridge applicant and your parents don't think you're smart enough for Medicine? Hah...

Do what you enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, you wont do anywhere near as well at it. Something many parents fail to understand.

I could not get an A* in Chemistry or Maths for the life of me. But for German, yes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not that. I respect my parents for taking care of me and worrying about my exams and such, but they frequently give me these condescending talks about choosing the right career in life and doing the right thing (with an unsubtle undertone of "do chem/IT/law, because you're not smart enough for medicine":wink:. I feel like I'm being slowly cornered into submission, and I'm really afraid that they'll make me agree with them - my parents can be quite scary and strict when they need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for Medicine/ Oxbridge.

If you're smart enough to have a shot at getting into Oxbridge, you're more than smart enough to do medicine. A friend of mine was at around BBC level at A levels and is now well on his way to becoming a doctor. Medicine is a v smart move.

As for your subject choice. A random degree from Oxbridge is worth a lot more than Law or IT somewhere else, even to a law firm. Most jobs you can get into regardless of the degree subject. I went to both Oxbridge and non Oxbridge unis and they are worlds apart.

As for Law/IB. They are two of the best paying jobs out there but also two of the most arduous. IB you're looking at doing the equivalent of two full time jobs ie 80 hours + Law isn't far behind. Bare that in mind. Medicine is v well paid but is more connected to something meaningful and therefore more satisfying for the soul.

Also, as for them making you agree with them. Listen to their advice but do not feel obliged to do as they ask. Yes they provided for you your whole life, but that's their responsibility when they decided to have a child. If you do the wrong thing because of them and miss out on something you later regret, your relationship with them could be forever damaged. Parents are just people too and don't always know best (it just seems that way because most of your life you've been a naive child).
Original post by dreamlover
Go for Medicine/ Oxbridge.

If you're smart enough to have a shot at getting into Oxbridge, you're more than smart enough to do medicine. A friend of mine was at around BBC level at A levels and is now well on his way to becoming a doctor. Medicine is a v smart move.

As for your subject choice. A random degree from Oxbridge is worth a lot more than Law or IT somewhere else, even to a law firm. Most jobs you can get into regardless of the degree subject. I went to both Oxbridge and non Oxbridge unis and they are worlds apart.

As for Law/IB. They are two of the best paying jobs out there but also two of the most arduous. IB you're looking at doing the equivalent of two full time jobs ie 80 hours + Law isn't far behind. Bare that in mind. Medicine is v well paid but is more connected to something meaningful and therefore more satisfying for the soul.

Also, as for them making you agree with them. Listen to their advice but do not feel obliged to do as they ask. Yes they provided for you your whole life, but that's their responsibility when they decided to have a child. If you do the wrong thing because of them and miss out on something you later regret, your relationship with them could be forever damaged. Parents are just people too and don't always know best (it just seems that way because most of your life you've been a naive child).

1) I don't want to do medicine. Surgery is appealing, but then watch-making is more appealing as I'm amazing with my hands (not in that sense :smile:). It has to be classics+modlangs.

2) I'm not naive. I know full well what my parents want, and what I want, it's just I'm quite submissive when it comes to matters with my loved ones. Which I know - is not a good thing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wasn't saying you, personally, were naive; I hardly know you! I meant everyone, all of us, as children.
Original post by dreamlover
I wasn't saying you, personally, were naive; I hardly know you! I meant everyone, all of us, as children.

Well, you aren't wrong there. That quote by Varys from GoT pops up in my mind "things I wish had not passed, that I did not want to know" or something like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I could not get an A* in Chemistry or Maths for the life of me. But for German, yes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're clearly smart enough to do whatever you set yourself out to do.
Go for what you enjoy, whatever it is! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending