The Student Room Group

Help Smash get a nice ass again

I made this thread on my last account but it got trolled to ****.

Unfortunately I am becoming skinny fat and the worst part of that is probably a saggy non-existent ass. I'm aware everyone's gonna be like #hesquatsbro but I was wondering if there are any other exercises which can be done for this? I remember having a quite nice ass if I do say so myself back in Years 10-12, and then I was just running and lifting most days, not really squatting/deadlifts or anything.

Will incline treadmill power-walking, cycling, rowing etc. do anything? I'm using the glute machines at the gym but it's not doing much right now.

Cheers brethren
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I made this thread on my last account but it got trolled to ****.

Unfortunately I am becoming skinny fat and the worst part of that is probably a saggy non-existent ass. I'm aware everyone's gonna be like #hesquatsbro but I was wondering if there are any other exercises which can be done for this? I remember having a quite nice ass if I do say so myself back in Years 10-12, and then I was just running and lifting most days, not really squatting/deadlifts or anything.

Will incline treadmill power-walking, cycling, rowing etc. do anything? I'm using the glut machines at the gym but it's not doing much right now.

Cheers brethren

squatz 'n' oatz
Original post by tehforum
squatz 'n' oatz

there's gotta be more than that to it :frown:
A few things I do include squatting, lunges & running. They are all great for your glutes. Squatting alone or using a single piece of equipment in the gym won't get you results. You need variety and to work all of the muscles in and around you bum.

Another handy thing I like to do is when walking, tense your buttcheeks for 10 seconds then release. Do this a few times a day whilst walking to work or for something to eat and you will have a lovely bum in no time :smile:
Reply 4
i squat erry day :awesome:
Original post by NatalieBlundell
A few things I do include squatting, lunges & running. They are all great for your glutes. Squatting alone or using a single piece of equipment in the gym won't get you results. You need variety and to work all of the muscles in and around you bum.

Another handy thing I like to do is when walking, tense your buttcheeks for 10 seconds then release. Do this a few times a day whilst walking to work or for something to eat and you will have a lovely bum in no time :smile:

hmm yeah I've done a bit of lunges and of course running as well :smile: thanks!

I've tried the tensing thing, mostly sitting or lying down which isn't particularly effective tbh :tongue: is it a lot better when you're on the move? Seems like that would just burn extra calories from already doing exercise
Original post by Dinaa
i squat erry day :awesome:

u must do more than just squats for dat booty doe Dinaa, surely :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Squats, Deadlifts, Glute-Ham raises.

And their variations.
Original post by JD1lla
Squats, Deadlifts, Glute-Ham raises.

And their variations.

please explain a glute-ham raise :s-smilie:
Eat loads of food then burn it off
hmm yeah I've done a bit of lunges and of course running as well :smile: thanks!

I've tried the tensing thing, mostly sitting or lying down which isn't particularly effective tbh :tongue: is it a lot better when you're on the move? Seems like that would just burn extra calories from already doing exercise

Yeah definitely try it whilst walking! You can feel it after a while and it is really effective. Doing it lying down is fun though so I'd understand why you'd do it. Nothing better than tensing your asscheeks to the beat of your favourite song hahah :tongue:
u must do more than just squats for dat booty doe Dinaa, surely :s-smilie:

This is the problem with the uninitiated: They think that a routine has to be complicated to work.

Heavy squats activate the glutes and stress them under a big work load. Muscle tears, you consume enough to repair it and then some.

hence, squats and oats.
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Eat loads of food then burn it off

someone really should have sued the ****ing genius who decided to include 'then burn it off' in the small print
someone really should have sued the ****ing genius who decided to include 'then burn it off' in the small print

Haha the inspiration stemmed from Katie Hopkins so perhaps wasn't the best advice to issue
Original post by hockham jaynsaw
This is the problem with the uninitiated: They think that a routine has to be complicated to work.

Heavy squats activate the glutes and stress them under a big work load. Muscle tears, you consume enough to repair it and then some.

hence, squats and oats.

can this be done on maintenance?
Reply 15
please explain a glute-ham raise :s-smilie:

Google it, it will sound very odd if I try and explain.

Also, you have to remember that the aesthetics of your body mostly are determined by your genetics. I know a few girls that can squat (atg) 100kg+, but their booty still remains quite flat.

Have realistic expectations for YOUR own body. Looking at all these girls on instagram (I assume you're female?) or 'celebrities' like Jen Selter isn't realistic. Either because of genetics, or because of butt lifts.

Just squat, and squat deep. Deadlift heavy as well. These two alone will give you a strong, good looking body providing you eat well and are great for overall physique development. (oh, and are great for those abs

Edit: also remember to keep in mind timescales. It takes months-years to see decent progress
(edited 8 years ago)
can this be done on maintenance?

Sure. Gains won't be as dramatic, though. This is why we go through cycles of bulk/cut.
In the autumn and winter, I eat above maintenance to put on lots of muscle (and extra padding), and then in the spring and summer I cut for the cut beach body. The cycles seem to be more effective than eating at maintenance all year, though I haven't actually done the latter for very long since the cycles work for me.
Original post by JD1lla
(I assume you're female?)

lol. woops.
Original post by JD1lla
Google it, it will sound very odd if I try and explain.

Also, you have to remember that the aesthetics of your body mostly are determined by your genetics. I know a few girls that can squat (atg) 100kg+, but their booty still remains quite flat.

Have realistic expectations for YOUR own body. Looking at all these girls on instagram (I assume you're female?) or 'celebrities' like Jen Selter isn't realistic. Either because of genetics, or because of butt lifts.

Just squat, and squat deep. Deadlift heavy as well. These two alone will give you a strong, good looking body providing you eat well and are great for overall physique development. (oh, and are great for those abs...)

but yeah cheers buddy :h:
Do some hill sprints, they burn ass fat.

Quick Reply

Latest