The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Hi, if they ask for the derivation of the equation for an ideal gas, what would the answer be? My book has 2 pages of working for it, but obviously the exam wont require a 2 page answer, so what would a 6 mark answer for that look like?
Reply 721
Original post by Jed_Singh
Hi, if they ask for the derivation of the equation for an ideal gas, what would the answer be? My book has 2 pages of working for it, but obviously the exam wont require a 2 page answer, so what would a 6 mark answer for that look like?

They might not ask you to derive the whole thing at once for a six marker I guess, but if they ask you to do it then you will have to do everything from those two pages I expect. The book probably has more explanation to help you understand it etc (the version I have in my notes in the first post is less than a page).
Reply 722
I put together a list of six markers that have come up for quick reference, so here's unit 5

Nuclear & Thermal

Spoiler

Astro (none of the other options sorry!)

Spoiler

Reply 723
Original post by MichuAtDeGeaBa
Yep was the worst paper I sat in my life but i was not prepared for that exam last yea

Oh right did you sit it for real? Wow. How have you prepared this time to make you feel more ready?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 724
Original post by Jed_Singh

I would learn it to the detail of Lau14's notes. The CGP guide and Nelson Thornes book has greater detail for understanding but it's not likely they will expect that depth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 725
Original post by Lau14
I put together a list of six markers that have come up for quick reference, so here's unit 5

Nuclear & Thermal

Spoiler

Astro (none of the other options sorry!)

Spoiler

Thank you for this! I will add it to the first post if you don't mind?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 726
Original post by CD223
Thank you for this! I will add it to the first post if you don't mind?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile: How's your revision going?
Reply 727
Original post by Lau14
No problem :smile: How's your revision going?

Slowly! Revised content etc more than past papers - it's hard juggling everything at this time of year!

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 728
Original post by CD223
Slowly! Revised content etc more than past papers - it's hard juggling everything at this time of year!

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've pretty much ignored physics recently! I'll get back to it over half term, just focusing on the maths exams for the next few weeks I think. Balancing all the subjects will get a bit tricker closer to exams I think :/
Reply 729
Original post by Lau14
I've pretty much ignored physics recently! I'll get back to it over half term, just focusing on the maths exams for the next few weeks I think. Balancing all the subjects will get a bit tricker closer to exams I think :/

I agree. Me too really. Got C3 and C4 and history before either of the physics exams :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know where I can find the answers to the optional unit textbook questions? (the Kerboodle one), just tried a past paper..14/35 lol...All this Einstein stuff takes some time to really understand.

Otherwise does anyone know any good resources to test myself on before trying another paper?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 731
Original post by CD223
I agree. Me too really. Got C3 and C4 and history before either of the physics exams :/ Posted from TSR Mobile

I have fp3, fp4, s1, c3, fp1 and a chemistry exam before the first physics one so yeah, really not my priority currently! Although I will start putting work in again after fp4 because I have past papers still to do for physics.
Reply 732
Original post by Cosmocos
Does anyone know where I can find the answers to the optional unit textbook questions? (the Kerboodle one), just tried a past paper..14/35 lol...All this Einstein stuff takes some time to really understand.

Otherwise does anyone know any good resources to test myself on before trying another paper?

Thanks! :smile:

It should be at the end of the last chapter in the set of notes?

For example, for Astro, it's after the last section of the book for that unit.

Have you got the CGP revision guide? It has good test yourself questions on each page.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 733
Original post by Lau14
I have fp3, fp4, s1, c3, fp1 and a chemistry exam before the first physics one so yeah, really not my priority currently! Although I will start putting work in again after fp4 because I have past papers still to do for physics.

Ah nice! That's a heck of a lot! How many after those?

Me too - gonna get cracking soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 734
Original post by CD223
Ah nice! That's a heck of a lot! How many after those? Me too - gonna get cracking soon. Posted from TSR Mobile

12 in total so 5 after the first physics exam! Yeah I keep saying I'm going to work... and I don't not do it, I just end up only doing one thing when I was meant to do three or four!
Reply 735
Original post by Lau14
12 in total so 5 after the first physics exam! Yeah I keep saying I'm going to work... and I don't not do it, I just end up only doing one thing when I was meant to do three or four!

Ouch! I have:
C3: 5th June
History: 8th June
C4: 9th June
PHYA4: 11th June
PHYA5: 18th June
M2: 22nd June
Computing: 23rd June

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
It should be at the end of the last chapter in the set of notes?

For example, for Astro, it's after the last section of the book for that unit.

Have you got the CGP revision guide? It has good test yourself questions on each page.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm..I don't exactly have a hard copy since it's my optional module, and I'll try out the ones on the CGP revision guide

Thanks!
Reply 737
Original post by Cosmocos
Hmm..I don't exactly have a hard copy since it's my optional module, and I'll try out the ones on the CGP revision guide

Thanks!

Oh I see. What option is it? (Not Astro I'm assuming given the mention of Einstein).

No worries!

Have you done many past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 738
Original post by CD223
Ouch! I have:
C3: 5th June
History: 8th June
C4: 9th June
PHYA4: 11th June
PHYA5: 18th June
M2: 22nd June
Computing: 23rd June

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not so bad, loads of them are maths exams :tongue: and they're fairly well spread out this year!

FP3 Wednesday 13th May
FP4 Wednesday 20th May
S1 Wednesday 3rd June
C3 and FP1 Friday 5th June
Chem 4 Wednesday 10th June (PM)
PHYA4 Thursday 11th June
S2 Friday 12th June
Chem 5 Monday 15th June (PM)
FP2 Tuesday 16th June (PM)
PHYA5 Thursday 18th June
M2 Monday 22nd June
Reply 739
Original post by Lau14
It's not so bad, loads of them are maths exams :tongue: and they're fairly well spread out this year!

FP3 Wednesday 13th May
FP4 Wednesday 20th May
S1 Wednesday 3rd June
C3 and FP1 Friday 5th June
Chem 4 Wednesday 10th June (PM)
PHYA4 Thursday 11th June
S2 Friday 12th June
Chem 5 Monday 15th June (PM)
FP2 Tuesday 16th June (PM)
PHYA5 Thursday 18th June
M2 Monday 22nd June

Seems harsh for FP1 and C3 to be on the same day...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest