The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

It has gone so fast hasn't it?

Original post by Ratchit99
Woop! Congrats. Im on the 2 week countdown to the end of placement and my last ever day as a teacher. Cant wait!!!
Think about how far you have come! No one is ready but we will continue to learn as we go. Similar to being a parent for the first time. You have your training (reading week by week pregnancy books etc). You finish your training when your due date is near but you panic "will I know how to do this and that?". Finally when baby arrives you learn how to be the best because you have to, your NQT year.

Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm really starting to freak out. I'm not ready to finish yet. I have so much left to do and I've spent the entire day worried absolutely sick about everything.
Original post by camcam88
It has gone so fast hasn't it?

It has, i was really sceptical when i started to struggle but now im crapping myself! Lol
How long does everyone have left? Can't believe you only have two weeks left, Ratchit. Soooo jealous.

I finish on the 19th of June. Total five weeks of placement left. Seems like ages but I know it will go fast. Like others though, it feels like there is so much to be done, including trying to get a job!
Original post by Airfairy
How long does everyone have left? Can't believe you only have two weeks left, Ratchit. Soooo jealous.

I finish on the 19th of June. Total five weeks of placement left. Seems like ages but I know it will go fast. Like others though, it feels like there is so much to be done, including trying to get a job!

Sorry :frown: if its any consolation i have 3 weeks of uni after half term including another assignment so im not totally done yet! But i will be glad to get my evenings and weekends back to me and my husband!

I have 1 week of uni, 5 more weeks of plavement and 2 enhancement weeks. Feels like ages left!
I finish placement end of June and course 8th July!
Original post by Ratchit99
Sorry :frown: if its any consolation i have 3 weeks of uni after half term including another assignment so im not totally done yet! But i will be glad to get my evenings and weekends back to me and my husband!

Original post by alabelle
I have 1 week of uni, 5 more weeks of plavement and 2 enhancement weeks. Feels like ages left!

Original post by Esmeralda4
I finish placement end of June and course 8th July!

Ah yes I forget about uni. Uni is better than school though! My last week was supposed to be uni but because of my absences I am now in placement that week instead. I'm glad that it means I will not finish later overall, but at the same time it would have been nice to see course mates and tie up loose ends. Oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by camcam88
Think about how far you have come! No one is ready but we will continue to learn as we go. Similar to being a parent for the first time. You have your training (reading week by week pregnancy books etc). You finish your training when your due date is near but you panic "will I know how to do this and that?". Finally when baby arrives you learn how to be the best because you have to, your NQT year.

I'm just so worried that I'm going to fail. My placement folder and evidence are all done but my teaching folders have gone to pot and I really need to get them sorted out so they don't make me stay longer :frown:

I finish same time as you and don't have a job either. I also need to fit in a couple of days of primary placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just so worried that I'm going to fail. My placement folder and evidence are all done but my teaching folders have gone to pot and I really need to get them sorted out so they don't make me stay longer :frown:

I finish same time as you and don't have a job either. I also need to fit in a couple of days of primary placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I really need to sort out my folders! Half term in two weeks but I am exam marking for OCR. I don't know what I was thinking by marking 370 GCSEs during my PGCE! If I can't handle it, I'll just have to back out. It takes me ages to mark a set of 30!

Primary placement is great. I found it boring, but it was a few days off from planning and teaching. Embrace it!
Yeah I really need to sort out my folders! Half term in two weeks but I am exam marking for OCR. I don't know what I was thinking by marking 370 GCSEs during my PGCE! If I can't handle it, I'll just have to back out. It takes me ages to mark a set of 30!

Primary placement is great. I found it boring, but it was a few days off from planning and teaching. Embrace it!

Oooh that sounds painful. Just think of the money! I have my teaching folders to sort - I've been just keeping things on my computer in a sort of chaotic way and now I need to be seen to be organised. And I'm nowhere near ready with my final assignment.

How many primary days did you do? School is saying it's however many they want to send me on but uni is saying 5. Is it a standard sort of thing that all unis do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooh that sounds painful. Just think of the money! I have my teaching folders to sort - I've been just keeping things on my computer in a sort of chaotic way and now I need to be seen to be organised. And I'm nowhere near ready with my final assignment.

How many primary days did you do? School is saying it's however many they want to send me on but uni is saying 5. Is it a standard sort of thing that all unis do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems to be. I'm primary and I've done 4/5 secondary days. Hated every minute but at least there's no actual work to do!
Ughh, pregnancy has started to properly kick in, trying to sit at my desk and lesson plan etc but feeling so damn ill :frown:
I feel a bit better to know I'm not the only one panicking!

I still feel like a PGCE newbie yet I have just 2 weeks placement + 2 weeks central SCITT training left. How is this?!

My folder is a complete shambles and my mentor has asked to have a look at it next week (she is just being helpful but I am embarrassed to show her how useless I am!)

I still haven't got any job applications in (and I'm painfully aware that before long new jobs will stop coming up on TES).

I'm mentally and physically exhausted but I have one last 'big' observation to plan for. It's like I'm terrified the course is ending soon and yet it can't end soon enough! I know that makes no sense.
Thanks for the responses telling me not to worry :') I had an email and a text from my mentor telling me not to be embarrassed and not to stress. It happens, people get sick and try to work through it and just can't...

2 weeks till half term, 4,000 word curriculum essay to write and then 3 weeks of school after half term.

Less than two months till my NQT year starts... I've been given a July contract though so they must have faith in me if they're willing to pay me over the summer!
Staying in a hotel because I have uni tomorrow and I'm too tired for the commute. Of course the wifi isn't working so I can't do any work or apply for jobs on my night off. Called the wifi company and it's a major server fault and they don't think it'll be resolved any time soon.

I don't want to go to uni tomorrow either. My anxiety has gone insane and I'm feeling just miserable and overwhelmed. I think I need to ask for help :frown:
Staying in a hotel because I have uni tomorrow and I'm too tired for the commute. Of course the wifi isn't working so I can't do any work or apply for jobs on my night off. Called the wifi company and it's a major server fault and they don't think it'll be resolved any time soon.

I don't want to go to uni tomorrow either. My anxiety has gone insane and I'm feeling just miserable and overwhelmed. I think I need to ask for help :frown:

Aww I hate technology sometimes! The number of mornings I've gone in early especially and nothing has worked anyway -_-.

I think a key skill is knowing when to ask for help if you need it and admitting it is half the battle. Can you talk to a tutor tomorrow at uni? Someone you can trust to take you seriously? There's not long left and you perhaps just need a little pick me up or a couple of days off to recharge and calm down. I know my friend who did her PGCE last year got quite unwell with stress and was signed off for two weeks. I don't think that's normal by any means but it certainly helped.

I am feeling anxious tonight too. I think it is because of this exam marking I have stupidly agreed to do. I can't see how I can mark 380 scripts in three weeks alongside teaching. £1000 doesn't sound like much to compensate for that much stress. My mentor said you can back out at any point though so I will probably start it and go to the training meeting (training for my CV plus you get £20 per hour for going!) and see what happens. I am getting anxious with anticipation though!
I still have five weeks to go of placement - feels like a bloody lifetime. The day I finish will the best day ever. There's a 24 hour Macdonalds on my 35 mile journey to my placement, and I've always said I'll have a leisurely breakfast there on my last commute as a kind of celebration, whereas usually I'm way too tired, late and/or anxious to think about breakfast.

That sounds awful :frown: Internet always goes down when you need it most! Don't feel ashamed about asking for help. This course is insane and I think it's normal to feel overwhelmed at times.

When I qualify I'm putting a sign on my door that has a picture from finding nemo and the caption 'just keep swimming!' Best advice I can imagine for the PGCE (or anything really)
Aww I hate technology sometimes! The number of mornings I've gone in early especially and nothing has worked anyway -_-.

I think a key skill is knowing when to ask for help if you need it and admitting it is half the battle. Can you talk to a tutor tomorrow at uni? Someone you can trust to take you seriously? There's not long left and you perhaps just need a little pick me up or a couple of days off to recharge and calm down. I know my friend who did her PGCE last year got quite unwell with stress and was signed off for two weeks. I don't think that's normal by any means but it certainly helped.

I am feeling anxious tonight too. I think it is because of this exam marking I have stupidly agreed to do. I can't see how I can mark 380 scripts in three weeks alongside teaching. £1000 doesn't sound like much to compensate for that much stress. My mentor said you can back out at any point though so I will probably start it and go to the training meeting (training for my CV plus you get £20 per hour for going!) and see what happens. I am getting anxious with anticipation though!

I have an anxiety disorder (and a personality disorder and OCD too) so I have an access agreement at the uni about being approached and offered help because I find it really hard to admit to struggling. My OCD stops me from showing less than perfect work so there's worry that my folders aren't okay when they are actually okay but they're not _perfect_ so I don't want them seen. I'll drop into disability services tomorrow. I'm considering disclosing to the school for these last few weeks to just make sure I'm getting everything polished. I'm fine unless I'm stressed, when I'm stressed I just can't ask for help. I don't feel very supported by uni at all which is ironic since they're so quick to shout at us when we need to go further with our differentiation.

I think I'm just going to get into bed and sleep.

Just do what you can do with your marking. Nothing is worth stressing you out and your pgce should come first. My cousin marks them too and it's surprising how many you can get through in a short amount of time. It gets to a point where it's just automatic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending