The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by j05h.wr1ght
For day care what studies would i use because my teacher is rubbish and i have no idea!

How does day care affect social development - agression
NICHD and Shea et al + evaluations

How does day care affect social development - peer relations
Shea et al and Campbell et al + evaluations

If they just ask you 'how does day care affect social developement' you could use any two of these studies and evaluate.
Original post by Fleming1928
This website posted predictions about possible 12 markers, and the question I wrote was one of them :frown:

http://www.loopa.co.uk/as-psychology-2015-psya1-exam-predictions-aqa/

Oh yeah, i think ive seen something similar actually,
They mention that they're 'not entirely convinced it can be a 12 marker (due to lack of material) '
If worst came to worst and it did come up, i think things relating to perhaps Bowlby's theory. As the question says research into attachment so its kinda generally the whole topic, so no need to stress about impacts on peer relations etc.
For example; Bowlby said about good quality care (responding to social releasers etc) so chilcare practices may focus more on this. (Something along those lines)

You may not have learnt it the way i have so we might have different definitons/words etc but hopefully you get what i mean.

Yeah, i doubt this will be a 12 marker, it'd way too harsh if that happened.
Original post by Tylerrrrr
What studies are you using for institutionalisation, Rutter + tizard and Hodges?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rutter, Hodges & Tizard and Gardner
Original post by Fleming1928
Even if it was a 4 marker, how would I answer it?

My teacher said you don't even need to write a study for this, you would just say, for example: nurseries now include the appropriate ratio of 3 children to every 1 worker. This has improved day care as it allows the workers to have control over the group and interact efficiently and sensitively to their needs. Then for the next two marks, Research has discovered that deprivation does not just occur through loss of attachment but also if the parents are depressed or abusive. Therefore the 'circle of security' has been introduced to influence parents to respond sensitively to the child's needs and promote a secure attachment

The questions are either marked on quantity or quality, if you don't want to learn particular studies for it you can just go for quantity like above
Original post by MattSJTS
My notes don't have any specific studies on Institutionalisation (or whatever it's called) or Privation.
Is an example of privation Curtiss' study of Genie and also the Czech twins?
What studies are there of institutionalisation?

Search the Robertson's study. Basically the outcome was that those who had been adopted formed an attachment with adoptees, which shows that the notion of the critical period is flawed as these had been placed in orphanages for the first few years of life.
Original post by hannah4262
How long would you guys recommend spending on the 12-marker? I'm gonna leave it till the end but I haven't actually done any timed past papers so I'm not sue how long to leave for it?

I usually spend about 15-20 minutes on it, dependent on how much time I have :smile:
Does anyone know how to use the Robertsons study in relation to disruption of attachment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lewissteele
Search the Robertson's study. Basically the outcome was that those who had been adopted formed an attachment with adoptees, which shows that the notion of the critical period is flawed as these had been placed in orphanages for the first few years of life.

So Robertson and Roberston's study on John? Is that institutionalisation?
Does anyone know how to use the Robertsons study in relation to disruption of attachment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

James Roberstson (Laura and John) developed PDD model from them which shows that short term seperation can cause detachment which therefore disrupts the bond between child and PCG :cool:
Original post by MattSJTS
So Robertson and Roberston's study on John? Is that institutionalisation?

Robertsons study on John is an example of temporary disruption of attachment (separation) whereas 44 juvenile thieves (Bowlby) focusses on long term disruption (deprivation)
for the question relating to how has research into child care developed it, how would you answer that in terms of A02, like the evaluations??
Original post by hannah4262
How long would you guys recommend spending on the 12-marker? I'm gonna leave it till the end but I haven't actually done any timed past papers so I'm not sue how long to leave for it?

I'd recommend doing in first if you're confident you'll get good marks on it! Get it out the way!!
Teacher says that we should do it first for that reason! But it's up to you!
what questions do they ask on disruption of attachments?
Original post by k.bryan4
for the question relating to how has research into child care developed it, how would you answer that in terms of A02, like the evaluations??

Case studies
Reply 794
For Robertson and Robertson, do you define each of PDD and then say when John displayed each?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Outline the Robertson's case studies of John, followed by the PDD model and then compare it to Lucy, Jane, Tom and Kate.
Original post by amybrennand123
James Roberstson (Laura and John) developed PDD model from them which shows that short term seperation can cause detachment which therefore disrupts the bond between child and PCG :cool:

Thank you! I've been applying the PDD model to John as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It supports the PDD model of Protest Dispair Detachment in disruption of attachment.

John was left in care for the 9 days his mum was in hospital and dad at work.
PROTEST - John cried, a lot...
DISPAIR - He stopped crying and stopped eating, made less interaction with staff.
DETACHMENT - Ignored mother on reunion.
Original post by HemmingsHood
How does day care affect social development - agression
NICHD and Shea et al + evaluations

How does day care affect social development - peer relations
Shea et al and Campbell et al + evaluations

If they just ask you 'how does day care affect social developement' you could use any two of these studies and evaluate.

Thank you
Original post by Romanoff
Um, no.

The PDD model, suggested by Bowlby, explains short-term deprivation.

Protest - immediate response to separation - crying, screaming, kicking and struggling to escape or clinging to the mother to prevent her leaving. This is an outward, direct expression of the child's anger, fear, bitterness and confusion.

Despair - protest is replaced by calmer, more apathetic behaviour. Anger and fear are still felt inwardly. There is little response to offers of comfort, instead the child comforts itself, by e.g. thumb-sucking.

Detachment - the child responds to people again, but treats everyone warily. Rejection of the care-giver on their return is common, as are signs of anger.

Yes it can be applied to Robertson and Robertson's study.

Just bumping this up as some are asking.
12 Marker
Cultural variations of attachment (research)

-Van Ijzendoorn and squad, yeah, got that!

I cant AO2 any other research very well

I've got Fox who studied child rearing practices in Israel, so i'll analyse the Observational method etc...

but that's 2 studies

I have Grossman and Grossman (who said that different attachement types are viewed differently in different cultures) that's it though, how do i AO2 that??

Same with Takawashi - He said parenting skills are different in different cultures...

Could a valid AO2 point for either of these be that they dont consider Subcultures etc???
Because it doesnt give a hint to any research method....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending