The Student Room Group

Can Someone Please Mark My Essay! And Grade it! (SPOKEN LANGUAGE ESSAY)

MY ESSAY ON SPOKEN LANGUAGE IS ON IDIOLECT LANGUAGE AND SLANG WHICH IS USED AT SCHOOLS, HOME AND PUBLIC. AND YOU MUST DESCRIBE THE WAYS OF USING SPOKEN LANGUAGE.

PLEASE SOMEONE MARK IT AND GRADE THIS ESSAY! THANKS!

Spoken language varies across the social atmosphere using; informal language (slang) which is sabotaging peoples vocabulary, formal language (standard English) and idiolect. Living in north west london for years helped me discover the aspects of my own personal speech (also known as my idiolect) and the variation between language due to their culture/environment which shapes my idiolect to what it is today.

Moreover, one factor which has influenced me is my family which has the hugest impact on my idiolect. Communicating with my parent i would often code-switch between urdu and english. For example arriving home from a break-taking day my mother would ask me "kana kawagah" (how was your day) and i would respond back "it was astonishing" notice how i responded in english?. In addition to this, i would speak with elders with respect where as friends or brothers i would not code-switch.

Slang words have double meanings which can lead to awkard and misleading conversations with the elder generation which can also generate ill feeling and therefore can be contemph. Furthermore, i tend to use informal language (slang) while conversing with my friends to participate in the social group. For example the word "fam" implies companionship between friends. However, its used commonly on social networking websites such as; face-book,twitter and media.

Another case to this is that, if someone who would use slang language in public gives an insight of other residents about negative impressions about him involving hes uneducated or a anti-social person who goes round humiliating himself. Moreover, if people were used to use slang on a daily basis even an interview for their job employees would not employ them as they are immature and contemph.

PLEASE MARK MY GCSE ESSAY! AND GIVE ME FEEDBACK IM DESPERATE!!1

THANKS!
Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
Reply 2
Original post by Dwellcut
MY ESSAY ON SPOKEN LANGUAGE IS ON IDIOLECT LANGUAGE AND SLANG WHICH IS USED AT SCHOOLS, HOME AND PUBLIC. AND YOU MUST DESCRIBE THE WAYS OF USING SPOKEN LANGUAGE.

PLEASE SOMEONE MARK IT AND GRADE THIS ESSAY! THANKS!

Spoken language varies across the social atmosphere using; informal language (slang) which is sabotaging peoples vocabulary --- don't know what you mean here?, formal language (standard English) and idiolect. Living in North West London for years helped me discover the aspects of my own personal speech (also known as my idiolect) and the variation between language --- should be either "between languages" or "within language" due to their culture/environment which shapes my idiolect to what it is today.

Moreover --- "moreover" usually means "also" - I think you should miss this word out , one factor which has influenced me is my family which has the hugest impact on my idiolect. Communicating with my parent I would often code-switch between Urdu and English. For example arriving home from a break-taking day --- what does this mean? my mother would ask me, "Kana kawagah?" (How was your day?) and I would respond, back --- no need for this word "It was astonishing". Notice how I responded in English? --- I would find a better way of expressing this point. E.g. My mother would ask me, "Kana kawagh?" (How was your day?) and I would respond in English, "It was astonishing". In addition to this, I would speak with elders with respect where as whereas with friends or brothers I would not code-switch. --- can you give any more info about this? What language would you talk in with friends or brothers?

Slang words have double meanings which can lead to awkward and misleading conversations with the elder generation which --- avoid "which...which". Separate these into different sentences, e.g. "Slang words have double meanings which can lead to awkward and misleading conversations with the older generation. This can generate..." can also generate ill feeling and therefore can be contemph --- what does this mean?. Furthermore, I tend to use informal language (slang) while conversing with my friends in order to participate in the social group --- can you give any more information about this? What effect does using slang have on your relationship with your friends? Does it bring you together/reinforce the group membership/draw out the sense of the group v.s. the wider community who are not part of the group? . For example the word "fam" implies companionship between friends. However, its --- "it's" - but much better to use "it is" used commonly on social networking websites such as; --- semi-colon not needed here - just "such as Facebook" Face-book, Twitter and media --- is "media" a social networking website? If not maybe re-order your sentence e.g. "used commonly in the media and on social networking websites such as Facebook and Twitter" .

Another case to this --- to what? is that, if someone who would use slang language in public gives an insight of other residents about negative impressions about him involving hes uneducated or a anti-social person who goes round humiliating himself --- at the moment this sentence does not make sense. Do you mean something like "The use of slang language in public may create a negative impression of the speaker, causing other residents to believe that he is uneducated or anti-social"?? . Moreover, if people used slang on a daily basis, even during an interview for a job, employers may not employ them as they are immature and contemph. --- I don't know what you mean by "contemph". But can you give any more information about this? Why would using slang make an employer less likely to hire an interviewee? What kind of language should someone use in an interview? Does it suggest that that person may be incapable of or unaware of the need to act professionally? Could the employer be concerned about how that person would represent the company? Etc.

PLEASE MARK MY GCSE ESSAY! AND GIVE ME FEEDBACK IM DESPERATE!!1

THANKS!

I'm afraid I'm not in a position to grade this as I have no idea what it would get - but I have given some suggestions above. I hope it helps. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending