The Student Room Group

Struggling with revising for Physics

I don't know why but I could never feel confident with studying for Physics. Thank God for M1 in maths as it really helped with certain concepts but my first exam is on the 19th May and I still need to learn Chapter 4 to 8 for Mechanics. I don't know the best way to prepare for mechanics. I only have a week and it seems that I am only getting marks in the definitions and simple areas. I'm barely scrapping an E.
At this rate, it's getting frustrating. I'm using the textbook to study even, maybe that's the problem- as I need the theory first I thought book first, past papers later but once I try the past papers, I get confused.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cherry82
I don't know why but I could never feel confident with studying for Physics. Thank God for M1 in maths as it really helped with certain concepts but my first exam is on the 19th May and I still need to learn Chapter 4 to 8 for Mechanics. I don't know the best way to prepare for mechanics. I only have a week and it seems that I am only getting marks in the definitions and simple areas. I'm barely scrapping an E.
At this rate, it's getting frustrating. I'm using the textbook to study even, maybe that's the problem- as I need the theory first I thought book first, past papers later but once I try the past papers, I get confused.

Are you doing AQA?
Reply 2
Original post by Azarashi
Are you doing AQA?

Nope, OCR A.
Reply 3
Nope, OCR A.

so... what topics does your exam on the 19th cover? Maybe I can suggest something if it overlaps with my specs
Reply 4
so... what topics does your exam on the 19th cover? Maybe I can suggest something if it overlaps with my specs

Thanks, in short, things on Motion, Forces and Energy.
I'm ok with the theory aspects but when it comes to calculations and figuring out what to do using principles etc, I kind of go blank a bit.
Reply 5
Thanks, in short, things on Motion, Forces and Energy.
I'm ok with the theory aspects but when it comes to calculations and figuring out what to do using principles etc, I kind of go blank a bit.

So everything to do with equations and laws and such hm...
I suppose you got definitions and things like that covered.

the problem is with calculations?
Do you have a question that maybe we can work on to see what the problem is ? :smile:
Reply 6
So everything to do with equations and laws and such hm...
I suppose you got definitions and things like that covered.

the problem is with calculations?
Do you have a question that maybe we can work on to see what the problem is ? :smile:

Yea, aw thank you, didn't expect you to help me like this.

I guess my problem is just knowing what to do or how to approach questions, i.e, (sorry I wasn't sure how I could show you the question as it required a diagram but it's from the 2014 paper mechanics :

A light spring of unextended length 2.0 cm is hung from a fixed point. An object of weight 3.0 N is hung from the other end of the spring. Fig. 7.1 shows the length of the spring when the object is in
equilibrium.

N

N

cm

cm
object in equilibrium
in this position
object pulled down
to this new
position

Fig. 7.1 Fig. 7.2
(a) Show that the force constant of the spring is 50 N m
–1
Reply 7

I guess my problem is just knowing what to do or how to approach questions, i.e, (sorry I wasn't sure how I could show you the question as it required a diagram but it's from the 2014 paper mechanics :

A light spring of unextended length 2.0 cm is hung from a fixed point. An object of weight 3.0 N is hung from the other end of the spring. Fig. 7.1 shows the length of the spring when the object is in
equilibrium.

N

N

cm

cm
object in equilibrium
in this position
object pulled down
to this new
position

Fig. 7.1 Fig. 7.2
–1

I don't have access to the paper xc do you have a link?
Reply 8

Doing the same exam.
Just learn all principles and definitions.
And do all papers including legacy papers thats like 15 papers and check mark scheme and memorise answers that keep coming up every year.Thats basically it its not about memorising for physics is about the understanding.

equilibrium.

N

N

cm

cm
object in equilibrium
in this position
object pulled down
to this new
position

Fig. 7.1 Fig. 7.2
–1

Oh this question... Are you able to do any part of it at all? I can explain if you want. It's honestly such an odd question.
Reply 10
I don't have access to the paper xc do you have a link?

http://www.mediafire.com/view/frs1nme7xoe3zzm/G481-01_Jun14.pdf

Here's the link. I was lucky to have someone kindly post it here.
Reply 11
Original post by MUTTA
Doing the same exam.
Just learn all principles and definitions.
And do all papers including legacy papers thats like 15 papers and check mark scheme and memorise answers that keep coming up every year.Thats basically it its not about memorising for physics is about the understanding.

My goodness, memorise mark schemes? How lol?
I swear I only have a week guys, everyone is working so hard my goodness. I have past papers from 2002-2014 and I do see some correlation and even repeated, re-used diagrams etc but as it's not entirely the same since the answers are different- I wouldn't know really what to do.
Reply 12
Original post by victoria98
Oh this question... Are you able to do any part of it at all? I can explain if you want. It's honestly such an odd question.

Lol sadly nothing. I saw it as was like wth and went on youtube videos to try and grab something.
Are you doing OCR A? There are only 27 definitions that you need to know. I'll post them if you want.
Reply 14
Original post by Smug Life
Are you doing OCR A? There are only 27 definitions that you need to know. I'll post them if you want.

please do
Reply 15
My goodness, memorise mark schemes? How lol?
I swear I only have a week guys, everyone is working so hard my goodness. I have past papers from 2002-2014 and I do see some correlation and even repeated, re-used diagrams etc but as it's not entirely the same since the answers are different- I wouldn't know really what to do.

as in memorise how does trilateration work
how to determine free fall
the 3 safety features on a car.

Get the points off a mark scheme as these can easily come up again and it would be easy marks
Lol sadly nothing. I saw it as was like wth and went on youtube videos to try and grab something.

Ok I'm not very good at explaining but I'll try my best.
(a) You are told that the original length of the spring is 2cm. So the extension must be 6cm or 0.06m. Use the formula F=kx and rearrange to make k the subject. k=3/0.06= 50.

(b)(i) For this part you want to work out the potential energy when the spring is in equilibrium and the potential energy when the spring isn't in equilibrium (i.e. use fig 7.2). Use E=0.5kx^2. Fig 7.1 E= 0.5 x 50 x 0.06^2 = 0.09 J. Fig 7.2 E= 0.5 x 50 x 0.1^2= 0.25 J. The difference between the two is 0.25-0.09=0.16 J and that's your answer.

(ii). This one is weird. For the spring to be in equilibrium in fig 7.1 there must be a force of 3N acting in the upwards direction (opposite weight) so that the resultant force is 0N, yes? The spring in fig 7.2 is NO LONGER IN EQUILIBRIUM. There's still a force acting in the opposite direction to weight, but it no longer is equal to weight. Use F=kx to work out what it is F= 50 x 0.1 = 5N. The upwards force is 5N, weight is 3N so the resultant force is 5-3=2N (take them away since they act in opposite directions). You can now use F=ma to work out what the acceleration is. Mass= 3/9.8 (from W=mg) a= F/m => 2/(3/9.1) which comes to 6.5 ms^-2.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MUTTA
please do

Vector
Scalar
Displacement
Instantaneous Speed
Average Speed
Velocity
Acceleration
Newton
Terminal Velocity
Centre of Gravity
Torque of Couple
Moment
Thinking, braking and stopping distance
Work Done
Joule
Watt
Conservation of Energy Principle
Power
Stress
Strain
Young's Modulus
Elastic Deformation
Plastic Deformation
Elastic Limit
Ultimate Tensile Strength

I think that's all.
Reply 18
Original post by Smug Life
Vector
Scalar
Displacement
Instantaneous Speed
Average Speed
Velocity
Acceleration
Newton
Terminal Velocity
Centre of Gravity
Torque of Couple
Moment
Thinking, braking and stopping distance
Work Done
Joule
Watt
Conservation of Energy Principle
Power
Stress
Strain
Young's Modulus
Elastic Deformation
Plastic Deformation
Elastic Limit
Ultimate Tensile Strength

I think that's all.

have you got the mark scheme accepted answers.
Original post by MUTTA
have you got the mark scheme accepted answers.

Yeah, which ones do you want? I don't really want to type them all out, as it would take ages.

Quick Reply

Latest