The Student Room Group

Calculating the a mount of people in the sample: Reading Boxplots

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431288547.392680.jpg

Do you guys know how to do 16(B)?

I've been trying to do it but so far, I've managed to get 0.35 people which is impossible but 35 seems to be a bit too big.

I managed to get it by finding out the range which was 2.2 and multiplying it by 10 to get 22.

I then divided 80 by 22 and got roughly 3.5. Since I multiplied one of the factors by 10, I need to divide it by 10 but since it will become a nought point number, I multiplied it by 10 instead but it looked weird. Did I do something wrong?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Original post by Firenze26
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431288547.392680.jpg

Do you guys know how to do 16(B)?

I've been trying to do it but so far, I've managed to get 0.35 people which is impossible but 35 seems to be a bit too big.

I managed to get it by finding out the range which was 2.2 and multiplying it by 10 to get 22.

I then divided 80 by 22 and got roughly 3.5. Since I multiplied one of the factors by 10, I need to divide it by 10 but since it will become a nought point number, I multiplied it by 10 instead but it looked weird. Did I do something wrong?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:

Box plots show the data divided into quartiles.
A quarter of the data lies above the value given
There are 80 data values in this sample, it should be straightforward to work out how many people that is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
Box plots show the data divided into quartiles.
A quarter of the data lies above the value given
There are 80 data values in this sample, it should be straightforward to work out how many people that is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the help.

So, would the answer be 20 football players?
Original post by Firenze26
Thanks for the help.

So, would the answer be 20 football players?

Yep :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending