The Student Room Group

Unconditional offer?

If I'm doing five A-Levels and fast-track two of them (last opportunity to give AS+A2) would the Universities give me an unconditional offer if I get 2 A* and I'm predicted AAA (just an example) in the other three subjects?

In case they give me a conditional offer of A*AA would that include the grades I've already achieved or the three I still need to achieve?
Reply 1
Original post by LilianD
If I'm doing five A-Levels and fast-track two of them (last opportunity to give AS+A2) would the Universities give me an unconditional offer if I get 2 A* and I'm predicted AAA (just an example) in the other three subjects?

In case they give me a conditional offer of A*AA would that include the grades I've already achieved or the three I still need to achieve?

If you got a conditional offer then it would include the grades you have already achieved so as you would already have 2 A*s then you would need to achieve one more A-level to make it 3. There's no guarantee the uni would give you an unconditional offer, maybe if you apply to one with very low entry requirements then they might do. My friend got an unconditional from London Southbank. The offer is also based on interviews skills, personal statement, reference and extra curricular activities not just your grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LilianD

It depends. I've seen Cambridge give offers which take no account of A-levels already taken.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
It depends. I've seen Cambridge give offers which take no account of A-levels already taken.

Really? Wouldn't it be unfair?
Like normally people get offers like A*AA and if someone has already 2 A* then their offer should take account of them.. :/
Original post by LilianD
Really? Wouldn't it be unfair?
Like normally people get offers like A*AA and if someone has already 2 A* then their offer should take account of them.. :/

Cambridge (and Oxford, for that matter) find it's more important to see that you are capable of getting A*AA/A*A*A all in the same sitting than the amount of A* you have previously, because of the workload you'll have when you get there (presumably)
Original post by LilianD

No. Most unis will likely give you a conditional based on one more A-level but some may give one based on three more A-levels. I'm taking 5 A-levels and am in a similar situation. I took A-level maths early and my offers are only based on two more A-levels.
Original post by LilianD
Really? Wouldn't it be unfair?Like normally people get offers like A*AA and if someone has already 2 A* then their offer should take account of them.. :/

Original post by loperdoper
Cambridge (and Oxford, for that matter) find it's more important to see that you are capable of getting A*AA/A*A*A all in the same sitting than the amount of A* you have previously, because of the workload you'll have when you get there (presumably)

Just as Loperdoper says...
Reply 7

I contacted the universities I wanted to apply to and they have different views on the matter.

Oxford: The grades already received will count towards the final offer.
UCL: Will give an offer of A*AA no matter how many A* grades you already have.
LSE: The grades already received will count towards the final offer unless the subject(s) was in their list of non-preferred subjects.
Cambridge: They decide after the interview.

I'm waiting for Nottingham, Durham and Warwick to reply.

I don't know about Cambridge but Oxford definetely doesn't have any problems with fast-tracked subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by LilianD
I contacted the universities I wanted to apply to and they have different views on the matter.

LSE: The grades already received will count towards the final offer unless the subject(s) was in their list of non-preferred subjects.

I don't know about Cambridge but Oxford definetely doesn't have any problems with fast-tracked subjects.

That's handy then. I'm surprised oxfords requirements are more reasonable than UCL's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LilianD

My mistake, I believe Oxford's website once said something that suggested otherwise.
Reply 10
Original post by r-t
That's handy then. I'm surprised oxfords requirements are more reasonable than UCL's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that maybe UCL misunderstood what I meant in the first email so I tried to explain it to them again and they said:

"We would still look for you to be predicted to achieve A*AA in a combination of A levels that you have already taken and A levels that you will be taking. As a result, if a conditional offer was made, then it would take into account any acceptable A levels that you have already completed."

So this means that even UCL doesn't have any problems with students fast tracking a few subjects. Right? Or am I misinterpreting what they wrote?
Reply 11
My mistake, I believe Oxford's website once said something that suggested otherwise.

Maybe there were a lot of people who fast tracked one or two subjects and they decided that it would be unfair to not take account of the grades they achieved since they actually had to work double as hard in comparison to those who studied the subjects in two years.
Reply 12
Original post by ElisaR
I think that maybe UCL misunderstood what I meant in the first email so I tried to explain it to them again and they said:

"We would still look for you to be predicted to achieve A*AA in a combination of A levels that you have already taken and A levels that you will be taking. As a result, if a conditional offer was made, then it would take into account any acceptable A levels that you have already completed."

So this means that even UCL doesn't have any problems with students fast tracking a few subjects. Right? Or am I misinterpreting what they wrote?

Yeh this means that they don't have a problem because they would take into account any acceptable A-levels that you have already completed which you have but it depends on whether the 2 A-levels you completed were part of their preferred subjects or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending