The Student Room Group

Why do some white people have a hard time understanding white privilege?

Scroll to see replies

I refuse to believe in white privilege until I experience it myself.
Original post by demx9
whites will always have some kind of privilege in their own countries .. I don't see a big problem there

"their own countries" aww so the ethnic minorities who live in western countries cannot call it their own countries. It is whites own countries. It is all making sense now.

It is also funny how you call it "whites own countries" when white ancestors stole from the ethnic minority countries or wiped out indigenous people in "their own countries.
Original post by TheWoke
"their own countries" aww so the ethnic minorities who live in western countries cannot call it their own countries. It is whites own countries. It is all making sense now.

It is also funny how you call it "whites own countries" when white ancestors stole from the ethnic minority countries or wiped out indigenous people in "their own countries.

This is a .co.uk site not a .us site, not applicable here.
Original post by SotonianOne
This is a .co.uk site not a .us site, not applicable here.

Nice try, so just because this is the UK this is not "their country" aswell? Cute.
Original post by TheWoke
Nice try, so just because this is the UK this is not "their country" aswell? Cute.

Where did he say that?
Original post by Kittiara
I think that the problem with privilege is that we all have certain privileges and certain disadvantages, and you can soon get yourself into a tangle with them.

For example, I am white. Does this have its benefits? Yes. It would be silly to deny that.

However, I am also an immigrant. Considering there is a bit of an anti-immigration sentiment in some corners, that can be a disadvantage. Still, because I am a white immigrant, I'll have some advantages - in a white majority country, people don't really notice it until I open my mouth and they hear my accent.

I am a woman, and that has upsides and downsides.

I also have a disability, which doesn't affect my quality of life as much as some other disabilities will affect other people, so I am privileged in that respect, yet disadvantaged in others.

And so on.

Balancing all that out, it would be tricky to say what helps me and what hinders me. If I weren't to get a job, is it because I am an immigrant? A woman? Have a disability? Or is it simply the case that there are better, more qualified candidates? I always go with the last scenario. Most people are pretty fair, though there are always some who make negative judgements based on race, gender, etc.

This is honestly the first post on this topic that is logical and presents a valid response/explanation. Good points.
Original post by sund1ata
The vast majority of white people are racist, it's as simple as that. If you're white, I mean *you*, reading this, now - not some rabid UKIP supporter.

White privilege is like a trust fund you are born into, built on the suffering of others. It's like being given free money, and which white person doesn't like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh please, don't make such a silly accusation without backing it up with substance.
Original post by EatAndRevise
Where did he say that?

"whites will always have some kind of privilege in their own countries .. I don't see a big problem there"

Right. He sid "their own countries?" seeing as this is a thread about bias in western countries.... on a .co.uk site (as previously pointed out like I wasn't aware). Please tell me where is "whites own countries"?

:rolleyes:
Original post by TheWoke

I don't remember European colonisers killing non-white "Natives" in the UK?

Must have missed a history lesson.
Original post by footchemllab
I certainly think it's an interesting issue to raise and discuss. I do think there are some stronger points rather than being bogged down in discussing plasters and rappers, which probably hindered the legitimacy of the argument slightly :redface:

I agree, I think maybe the actual example points listed may have automatically given people a dismissive attitude (even though they are valid ) they are viewed as "trival".

However if the OP had listed mores "serious" matters people would still find time to argue that white privilege doesn't exist.

For example. I guess racial profiling and the statistics on the likelihood of a black male being stopped and searched in the UK in comparison to a white male is just "lies" and "excuses" and somehow a way of encouraging "racism" against white people :s

Clearly referring to the general point about it still not being "white peoples own country" still holding validity in the UK.

But I guess everything must be spelled out seeing as you insist on being pedantic to prove your point :wink:

PS: European colonisers robbed from and oppressed Africa so it quite cheeky to be upset that such people want to migrate to European countries and call these countries their own aswell. (but maybe you missed that history lesson)

LOL I even repeated the point I made which held validity in the UK. Just to clarify in case you had difficulty comprehending and you still tried to be pedantic. You are actually hilarious.
Original post by TheWoke
"whites will always have some kind of privilege in their own countries .. I don't see a big problem there"

Right. He sid "their own countries?" seeing as this is a thread about bias in western countries.... on a .co.uk site (as previously pointed out like I wasn't aware). Please tell me where is "whites own countries"?

:rolleyes:

"Whites will always have some kind of privilege in their own countries"

This sentence does not say that:

Original post by TheWoke
ethnic minorities who live in western countries cannot call it their own countries.

OP was obviously referring to countries where the population has a majority of white people, they clearly didn't mean to insult anyone. It was just poor wording.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheWoke
Clearly referring to the general point about it still not being "white peoples own country" still holding validity in the UK.

But I guess everything must be spelled out seeing as you insist on being pedantic to prove your point :wink:

PS: European colonisers robbed from and oppressed Africa so it quite cheeky to be upset that such people want to migrate to European countries and call these countries their own aswell. (but maybe you missed that history lesson)

Rather than having to get everything spelled out (spelt*), it might be of benefit to you to actually read the person you're quoting? Because you've quoted me for no reason and you're replying to the person inside my quote.
Original post by jedanselemyia
I
1. YES (although why this is a privilege I'm not sure. I'd rather be around like-minded people of any colour than white people regardless of other attributes)
2. NO
3. NO
4. YES
5. YES
6. YES
7. YES
8. well presumably yes as this was published?
9. I don't know what the food of my cultural traditions or white music is, and I always have a helluva time finding a hairdresser.
10. Well yes because online credit checking doesn't show my race.
11. No, how could any race?
12. YES
13. YES.
14. YES
15. NO
16. YES.
17. NO
18. YES
19. YES
20. YES
21. YES (Well I did choose to join them!)
22. YES
23. YES
24. YES.
25. YES
26. NO

I added a new one: When traveling to a country, I don't think my race will be a disadvantage (DEPENDS WHERE)

I'm genuinely trying to understand some people just can't get this. And please, no rude comments.

Sorry if this has already been discussed I apologise - I've not been able to read everything.

As you can see from my answers above, I wouldn't deny the existence of white privilege, but I do believe this is more of an issue in the USA. A few of those things on that list wouldn't happen in most places of the UK.

But I think my biggest issue with white privilege is that is splits things, literally, into black and white and doesn't take into account other issues. There are privileged black people who don't face the issues some white families face.
I believe it is more useful to address the issues as a whole, whether they include racism, sexism, poverty etc. Rather than have an attitude of "things are **** for me because white privilege", "life is good for you because white privilege". The term puts peoples backs up and makes them less inclined to listen to and be sympathetic about the real issues which need addressing and sorting in our society.

And, as others have pointed out, some things are to be expected due to the ethnic make up of a country and would be different if you went elsewhere. For example, abroad I've been singled out and refused entry to places for being white. Admittedly this is nowhere near on the scale of what some minority peoples experience, but the point here is the stigmatisation of minorities regardless of race.
Reply 196
Original post by sund1ata
The vast majority of white people are racist, it's as simple as that. If you're white, I mean *you*, reading this, now - not some rabid UKIP supporter.

White privilege is like a trust fund you are born into, built on the suffering of others. It's like being given free money, and which white person doesn't like that?

Nice race baiting bro.
Original post by TheWoke
LOL I even repeated the point I made which held validity in the UK. Just to clarify in case you had difficulty comprehending and you still tried to be pedantic. You are actually hilarious.

You too. I enjoy a bit of ignorance before an exam, it PUMPS ME UP.

Original post by EatAndRevise
"Whites will always have some kind of privilege in their own countries"

This sentence does not say that:

Okay.

So what do you mean by "their own countries"?

I raised that point because it was used as an exclusive term when I am sure it is a lot of ethnic minorities "own countries" as well.

I have asked this before and I will ask again:

Please let me know which countries are "whites own countries"
"Big dicks in your ass, stay black because thats the most important thing" - Joey Diaz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending