The Student Room Group

Should voting in the UK be compulsory?

I recently heard that in many democracies such as Australia and Brazil, voting is compulsory and anybody who can't be bothered to enrol is fined. Should we implement this in the UK? No strong views myself; just trying to gauge general opinion...

Scroll to see replies

No.
Reply 2
Only if election day becomes a national holiday.
Reply 3
I find it ironic that they try to encourage democracy by restricting your right not to vote.
Reply 4
No lots of people, including young people don't know what it is all about. Forcing people to vote means people would just make the wrong decision and just vote with who their friends are voting with etc. also some people don't care so their vote would be pointless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, it defeats the purpose of a democratic vote, part of the right is that you have the right not to vote.
It shouldn't be compulsory.

It will distort results - people who don't know/understand politics will be voting solely because it is compulsory. I acknowledge that it helps to boost interest/awareness of politics.

I think it should be compulsory to an extent - where only the most intelligent/politically aware/economically aware people must vote e.g. those with degrees, business leaders etc. But this requires a system that highlights the people that should have to vote. Also, this will receive a lot of backlash from those affected.
Original post by thebluepenguin
It shouldn't be compulsory.

It will distort results - people who don't know/understand politics will be voting solely because it is compulsory. I acknowledge that it helps to boost interest/awareness of politics.

I think it should be compulsory to an extent - where only the most intelligent/politically aware/economically aware people must vote e.g. those with degrees, business leaders etc. But this requires a system that highlights the people that should have to vote. Also, this will receive a lot of backlash from those affected.

The problem with needing to qualify to be able to vote is that whoever sets the test dictates the entire frame of politics and hence is I a position to strongly influence the outcome of elections.

Its also a complete rejection of human rights.
It shouldn't be compulsory, but should definitely be an opt-out system instead of the opt-in system currently in place.

I know that there are lots of people who think that registering to vote is a hassle and simply for that reason don't vote. therefore if it were more accessible and enrolment was automatic, I think more people would be inclined to vote.

This opt-out system should be implemented for organ donors as well - anyone who is strongly opposed to it should take the time to revoke their registration. this would mean that the apathetic people who don't particularly care either way would be automatically on the donor list, solving the problems currently being faced by the service.
Reply 9
Only if there is compulsory education on basic politics to go alongside it
Original post by mojojojo101
The problem with needing to qualify to be able to vote is that whoever sets the test dictates the entire frame of politics and hence is I a position to strongly influence the outcome of elections.

Its also a complete rejection of human rights.

Not necessarily. If the system just begins with finding people with degrees rather than anyone else who may be highly intelligent/politically aware/economic thinkers, it would just tag people with degrees and say 'the law requires you to vote'. This wouldn't favour any party.

This would become more complicated with deciding which other 'categories' of people should have to vote.

If this hypothetical system doesn't go beyond making it compulsory for degree-possessing people to vote, then I think it wouldn't be that bad a system.

And yeah, it does contradict the right to vote (which therefore gives you the right to not vote), which is a problem. :/
Nope.

I would advocate free pens for voters though.
No. Only those who own property and are married should be able to vote. Those the a stake and legacy in the nation.
Original post by Ezme39

Indeed. Compulsory Anglican education.
Reply 14
Original post by william walker
No. Only those who own property and are married should be able to vote. Those the a stake and legacy in the nation.

To a certain extent I would agree with you but this would be cast as discrimination to other groups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
To a certain extent I would agree with you but this would be cast as discrimination to other groups.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which groups? Only homosexuals who wouldn't be able to get married.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Ezme39

Exactly, so many people in my class (I'm in year 13) said they were voting yet none of them, including myself have any idea of what it's all about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is it so integral that everyone votes?
Original post by r-t
Exactly, so many people in my class (I'm in year 13) said they were voting yet none of them, including myself have any idea of what it's all about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would also increase the voting age to 21.
Original post by colonel146
Why is it so integral that everyone votes?

If everybody can vote and does so the government has a great mandate for change. So it can destroy the High Tory state.

Quick Reply

Latest