The Student Room Group

Why do some white people have a hard time understanding white privilege?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jedanselemyia
I do realise this too but I'll put this on the fact that I'm ill as hell right now (although that does not constitute an excuse, I know).
Positive action does not sit well with white people it seems. But it is necessary to integrate the black population in the workforce even if it's kind of forced. You have to understand that skin colour was in fact the only thing that kept those people from integrating those white owned businesses. Therefore, meritocracy only occured when all those involved had the privilege of the same white skin colour
Ok, on white discrimination. Your point that there is now somekind of reverse racism against white people in South Africa, put forward by the blacks as some kind of revenge for Apartheid and that I agree with this. You seem to think that positive action for blacks is racist against whites because it doesn't provide them with equal opportunity. How could it be when blacks are still less economically privileged than whites and that whites (most of them) have had a continous line of education and economic advantage?
Positive action is done when there is a unprivileged group that needs help to be integrated. That would never happen in the UK because white people have never been and still aren't underprivileged in the UK (except the Irish).
I know it exists in certain countries (only one I can think about is Zimbabwe in fact) but I think it does not occur as often as racism against non-whites does. Thing is, every-time mentions some kind of discrimination against a non-white person, why is there always somebody pushing a non comparable example of discrimination against a white person? What's the point? There's no competition.

I strongly believe there is no valid argument for the use of 'positive action' in the UK in the 21st Century, it suggest institutional racism which simply is not the case anymore. It is berated as reverse racism because that's exactly what it is. There is now a large black/asian middle class in the UK; do you honestly sit comfortably watching rich privleged public-school educated posh black/asian kids getting scholorships/internships based on the colour of their skin, over working class white kids?

Any problems we have in the UK are based on class, not race, and therefore if positive action is to be used in any form, class would be a better and more fair factor to consider than race. Positive action doesn't create equal opportunity, it offers unfair advantage and it's got to stop.

The reason you only really hear about racism against whites with regards to South Africa/Zimbabwe, is because most countries on earth are fairly homogenous and whites are not a minority in many of the countries they inhabit, unlike blacks/asians who are widespread and make up a minor but sigificant proportion in what are historically 'white' countries.
Whites if they lived in significant numbers in for example Nigeria or India, I'm sure would face horrific racism and discrimination, because it's an unfortunate human precondition to fear of 'others', and this is only overcome by education and development (neither of which poorer countries have - take for eg. the recent Xenophobic attacks against other blacks in South Africa).

And yes, there clearly is competition, because left-wing campaigners like yourself (yes I have presumed you are left-wing and i'm right aren't I?) , only acknowledge the side of the argument which suits your own preconceived ideas, which is why you will never hear a left-wing person speak out on issues such as the prolific cultural problems in several Pakistani Islamic communities in the North of England which led to the mass rape of young white girls where the police were too scared to stop the horrific abuse due to fear of being called racist by people I'm afraid to say very like yourself).
Original post by SotonianOne
You too. I enjoy a bit of ignorance before an exam, it PUMPS ME UP.

Ignorance is referring to western nations as "whites own countries"
Ignorance is dismissing concepts and not even trying to understand due to the fact you cannot see from other perspectives.

Long story short, ignorance is you personified. So yes, I can tell you enjoy indulging in your own ignorance. Good luck in your exam, you are going to need it with the state of your comprehension skills.:smile:
Original post by TheWoke
Okay.

So what do you mean by "their own countries"?

I raised that point because it was used as an exclusive term when I am sure it is a lot of ethnic minorities "own countries" as well.

I have asked this before and I will ask again:

Please let me know which countries are "whites own countries"

In my opinion, countries where non-whites turned up less than ~150 years ago.
Original post by TheWoke
Ignorance is referring to western nations as "whites own countries"
Ignorance is dismissing concepts and not even trying to understand due to the fact you cannot see from other perspectives.

Long story short, ignorance is you personified. So yes, I can tell you enjoy indulging in your own ignorance. Good luck in your exam, you are going to need it with the state of your comprehension skills.:smile:

I'm not sure why it is that your IQ is below that of my plant on my shelf and I don't understand why you keep quoting "whites own countries" because I've literally never said that.

Read my posts. That's what I said in my previous post. The person, and the quote, you're replying to did absolutely not come from me.
I'm not sure why it is that your IQ is below that of my plant on my shelf and I don't understand why you keep quoting "whites own countries" because I've literally never said that.

Read my posts. That's what I said in my previous post. The person, and the quote, you're replying to did absolutely not come from me.

I know you did not say it.
The fact you interjected to argue with me about my point on that matter means you clearly want to feel included with the ignorant posters so here you go:smile:.

I have also seen your posts throughout the thread. Yes they are ignorant in case you weren't aware.
Original post by TheWoke
Okay.

So what do you mean by "their own countries"?

I raised that point because it was used as an exclusive term when I am sure it is a lot of ethnic minorities "own countries" as well.

I have asked this before and I will ask again:

Please let me know which countries are "whites own countries"

It wasn't me who made the original point, so you'll have to ask the person who made the original point.

He was clearly referring to places where the majority of people are white, i.e. UK, USA. His choice of words was poor, which has led to interpretation.
Reply 206
Here come the social justice warriors to invade the student room
In my opinion, countries where non-whites turned up less than ~150 years ago.

LOL @ turned up.

Anyway let me entertain your definition for a second. So America is not a "white country" then? Righty-o.
Original post by TheWoke
LOL @ turned up.

Anyway let me entertain your definition for a second. So America is not a "white country" then? Righty-o.

Can someone please order me the biggest facepalm you can find on Amazon? Thanks.
Original post by EatAndRevise
It wasn't me who made the original point, so you'll have to ask the person who made the original point.

He was clearly referring to places where the majority of people are white, i.e. UK, USA. His choice of words was poor, which has led to interpretation.

Listen I know you did not originally say it. But if you are going to respond to me with all this "where did he say that" you clearly must somehow be channeling his spirit in order to provide the best interpretation for what he said.

He is not here so yes I will ask you.
Can someone please order me the biggest facepalm you can find on Amazon? Thanks.

Yes order facepalms because you cannot articulate counterarguments.
Just google when non-whites "turned up" in the US please.

Seriously good luck in your exams. I will pray for you.
Original post by TheWoke
Listen I know you did not originally say it. But if you are going to respond to me with all this "where did he say that" you clearly must somehow be channeling his spirit in order to provide the best interpretation for what he said.

He is not here so yes I will ask you.

What are you struggling to understand?

He was clearly referring to places where the majority of the population are white.
Original post by EatAndRevise
What are you struggling to understand?

He was clearly referring to places where the majority of the population are white.

I understand what he meant. I just find it telling that because a country has a majority white population people think it's okay to refer to such as "whites own countries".

The fact you don't see his choice of words as an insight into a bigoted mindset you just dismiss it as a poor choice words (10 years later) is quite funny.

Not even sure why you keep replying when I am addressing the statement HE made. As you have already said "I didnt say the original post". Cool, you're not his mum so why are you speaking on his behalf lol.

I cant even be bothered. From the state of the views posted throughout I know loads of people in this thread probably have an early morning UKIP meeting to attend so get a good night's sleep.
Original post by College_Dropout
"Big dicks in your ass, stay black because thats the most important thing" - Joey Diaz

powerful college dropout
Reply 214
Original post by TheWoke
It is also funny

ye real funny
Anyway this thread has digressed from the original point. If you truly don't believe white privilege exists or you believe it is acceptable that such discrimination occurs because "demographics" then that is ignorant and you are willfully choosing to ignore racial prejudice that blatantly exists.

Stop picking at every point in the OP's post "oh she said coloured plasters" try looking at the wider general theme of white privilege. You think those points are trivial? Ok lets look at more serious issues - You want to tell me racial profiling is not real in the UK? You want to tell me certain ethnic groups are not discriminated against when it comes to gaining employment? Or do you really believe everything is an excuse and everything happens because they caused it to?Seriously. Just think logically and try and view matters from a different perspective.
Original post by TheWoke
I understand what he meant. I just find it telling that because a country has a majority white population people think it's okay to refer to such as "whites own countries".

The fact you don't see his choice of words as an insight into a bigoted mindset you just dismiss it as a poor choice words (10 years later) is quite funny.

Not even sure why you keep replying when I am addressing the statement HE made. As you have already said "I didnt say the original post". Cool, you're not his mum so why are you speaking on his behalf lol.

I cant even be bothered. From the state of the views posted throughout I know loads of people in this thread probably have an early morning UKIP meeting to attend so get a good night's sleep.

10 years later? I stated that within two posts.

You do seem to find quite a lot of people funny. You come across as a very easily amused person.

I'm not allowed to stand up for someone? If you don't want multiple people to respond to something you say, PM the individual you are talking to.

I don't support the UKIP party, but do you have something against UKIP voters?
TheWoke
x

Yknow as a mod I can see what you deleted right?(In my section any way) I can tell you something. I am definitely not a UKIP supporter. I voted Liberal democrat. Also how many Asian people voted UKIP?
Reply 218
Original post by EdmundWoodstock
White privilege is definitely real, but fortunately its status is gradually decreasing in the West as we move nearer equality.

Well thats not true lol what makes you think that? Couldnt be further from the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jedanselemyia
I've said SOME not ALL, obviously
Almost everything time I mention this issue on this forum, it seems that some user (most likely white) is going to "attack" me on how dumb, outdated and racist this concept is.
Racism is a pyramidal construct that goes from microagressions to full blown genocides:

Now, I agree that generally, we find ourselves in the lower strates of the pyramid (but that depends on the country: look at the USA) but that doesn't mean that racism or the concept of white privilege is completely outdated and stupid. That's just trying to ignore reality lol
I've based myself on the essay by Peggy McIntosh (she's white by the way) entitled "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Backpack". She gives a list of all the privileges that white people enjoy in American society, but I'm sure that a lot of people would recognise themselves in these:
1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.
3. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.
4. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
5. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
6. When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
7. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.
8. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.
9. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser’s shop and find someone who can cut my hair.
10. Whether I checks, credit cards, or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.
11. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.
12. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty, or the illiteracy of my race.
13. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.
14. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
15. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.
16. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world’s majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.
17. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.
18. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to “the person in charge,” I will be facing a person of my race.
19. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven’t been singled out because of my race.
20. I can easily buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, and children’s magazine featuring people of my race.
21. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance, or feared.
22. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of race.
23. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.
24. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.
25. If my day, week, or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it has racial overtones.
26. I can choose blemish cover or bandages in “flesh” color and have them more or less match my skin.

I added a new one: When traveling to a country, I don't think my race will be a disadvantage

I'm genuinely trying to understand some people just can't get this. And please, no rude comments.

Maybe your points are true but I'm as fed up as you as hearing about this. I was brought up to treat people of other races the same but all this debate on race has made me see everyone differently. Please go back to the primary school days where race was merely a colour.

I understand you are subjected to this(presumably you're not white) but jaysus give us a solution not point out problems please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending