The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Standard sunday night dread has kicked in, just have to remind myself that every day that i do is the last day of that particular part of the timetable that I ever have to do.....
Original post by Ratchit99
Standard sunday night dread has kicked in, just have to remind myself that every day that i do is the last day of that particular part of the timetable that I ever have to do.....

:frown: I love teaching and still get stressed on Sunday nights, can only imagine how difficult it must be if you don't enjoy it.
Original post by alabelle
:frown: I love teaching and still get stressed on Sunday nights, can only imagine how difficult it must be if you don't enjoy it.

I think I just worry that my lessons arent going to be good, so dread a monday with potential for failure, once ive got monday out the way i get back into the swing of it but mondays are just like crap what will this week bring....

My neighbour at work has been teaching for 30 years and still says the theme tune to the Antiques Roadshow makes him feel ill :lol:
Original post by rachel.h
My neighbour at work has been teaching for 30 years and still says the theme tune to the Antiques Roadshow makes him feel ill :lol:

I share his pain. One of my friends who retired two years ago tells me that even when you have stopped, it takes a long time to stop feeling like this. Doctors call it Readjustment Syndrome, apparently.
Original post by Ratchit99
I think I just worry that my lessons arent going to be good, so dread a monday with potential for failure, once ive got monday out the way i get back into the swing of it but mondays are just like crap what will this week bring....

I feel the same! I always end each week feeling really positive about what the next one will be like but by Sunday im like... But what if this week I'm worse.

Not sure whether to laugh or feel worried at this!

Not sure whether to laugh or feel worried at this!

In teaching, you laugh. If you don't laugh, you cry.
I'm sick of this career. I'm just having bad day after bad day. I get home and work until I go to sleep.

I have an interview this Wednesday but I'm not even worried anymore because I think I've lost the desire to go into teaching completely. There was a strand there but it's pretty much disappeared. No more job applications for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In teaching, you laugh. If you don't laugh, you cry.

This is very true!

Original post by Airfairy
I'm sick of this career. I'm just having bad day after bad day. I get home and work until I go to sleep.

I have an interview this Wednesday but I'm not even worried anymore because I think I've lost the desire to go into teaching completely. There was a strand there but it's pretty much disappeared. No more job applications for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've stopped applying for jobs too. I can't see myself passing this course despite how much I try. There is improvement each week but it's not happening fast enough and I'm really bloody tired! I love teaching but it's the relentless marking, planning and providing evidence that gets me down. I could cope with this if my teaching was good, but that is actually the part I need to improve on.

What are you disliking about the course right now?
This is all very sad.
This is very true!

I've stopped applying for jobs too. I can't see myself passing this course despite how much I try. There is improvement each week but it's not happening fast enough and I'm really bloody tired! I love teaching but it's the relentless marking, planning and providing evidence that gets me down. I could cope with this if my teaching was good, but that is actually the part I need to improve on.

What are you disliking about the course right now?

The workload. The fact that you can spend hours planning what you think is an amazing lesson only for the pupils to throw it in your face and not give a damn. Constant targets that I never seem to achieve anymore. I'm not improving. People giving me work all the time. My mentor said to me today that she wants me to write a 12 lesson scheme of work for next week. That's all well and good but when exactly can I do that?! I literally get home and do work. I eat my tea whilst being on the laptop. I get up an hour earlier than I need to in order to do extra work at school.

I am sick of it. My friend has a voucher for a pub that he needs to use within two weeks and he was asking me when I can go. I literally can't think of a day I can go. I don't want a career where I can't even make time to go out with a friend.

I'll pass the course, I'm sure. But I don't care about what grade anymore and I don't care about this profession. I think it is noticeable in my teaching too. I've lost my spark. I don't have time to plan amazing lessons.
The workload. The fact that you can spend hours planning what you think is an amazing lesson only for the pupils to throw it in your face and not give a damn. Constant targets that I never seem to achieve anymore. I'm not improving. People giving me work all the time. My mentor said to me today that she wants me to write a 12 lesson scheme of work for next week. That's all well and good but when exactly can I do that?! I literally get home and do work. I eat my tea whilst being on the laptop. I get up an hour earlier than I need to in order to do extra work at school.

I am sick of it. My friend has a voucher for a pub that he needs to use within two weeks and he was asking me when I can go. I literally can't think of a day I can go. I don't want a career where I can't even make time to go out with a friend.

I'll pass the course, I'm sure. But I don't care about what grade anymore and I don't care about this profession. I think it is noticeable in my teaching too. I've lost my spark. I don't have time to plan amazing lessons.

I could have written this myself (minus the scheme of work). I start school at 7:45am, come home at 4:30pm and work right up until bedtime. Just yesterday I had to turn down a friend's party, which I'd told her I would be going to, because I had too much work to do. I was hoping to be done by 9pm but was up until 10:30pm finishing just to be prepared for today.

I'm lucky enough to have an amazing mentor who is breaking everything down into baby steps for me. Unfortunately my uni mentor thinks I am progressing too slowly and I'm still not of the standard where I would pass the course. I only have 4 weeks left too. I'm really worried that I will finish this year with nothing to show for it :/

I received some feedback today, which said 'make lessons more interesting for children'. It's really disheartening when you are trying so hard to do exactly that.

What do you think you will do if you don't teach?
I could have written this myself (minus the scheme of work). I start school at 7:45am, come home at 4:30pm and work right up until bedtime. Just yesterday I had to turn down a friend's party, which I'd told her I would be going to, because I had too much work to do. I was hoping to be done by 9pm but was up until 10:30pm finishing just to be prepared for today.

I'm lucky enough to have an amazing mentor who is breaking everything down into baby steps for me. Unfortunately my uni mentor thinks I am progressing too slowly and I'm still not of the standard where I would pass the course. I only have 4 weeks left too. I'm really worried that I will finish this year with nothing to show for it :/

I received some feedback today, which said 'make lessons more interesting for children'. It's really disheartening when you are trying so hard to do exactly that.

What do you think you will do if you don't teach?

Ugh, I'm sorry you're feeling the same way. It is a horrible feeling. Am I right in saying it was your on CfC? If so, then I feel even more sorry for you because I know how hard we all try and it is a slap in the face at times. Do you think there is a real chance you might fail? Is your assessment like mine where you get graded alongside all the teaching standards?

It's ridiculous though isn't it? I hate turning down events. Friends who aren't in teaching don't understand and just think I'm making excuses. Family don't understand. My nanna is in hospital and I only have time to see her once a week, and even then I am thinking about work :frown:

No idea what I'll do if I don't teach. I'll cross that bridge once we've finished! Have you any ideas?
How are you guys still having so much work to take home? I've found second placement to just be an absolute breeze in terms of extra workload...
I feel like I've gotten quicker at lesson planning. Marking is still taking my time but I tend to do it before school
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Samus2
How are you guys still having so much work to take home? I've found second placement to just be an absolute breeze in terms of extra workload...
I feel like I've gotten quicker at lesson planning. Marking is still taking my time but I tend to do it before school

I don't know to be honest because at first (when I was still teaching 13 hours) I was totally up to date with everything and managed to do all my lesson planning in my frees .These days my frees tend to be taken up with meetings/observations or extra stuff I have to do for pupils, meaning I can no longer fit everything in to school hours and I have to do it at night. I guess that is more accurate to real teaching because of the limited frees. Lesson plans don't take me AGES. It depends on the topic. Generally no longer than an hour. Normally half an hour.

I have a lot of essays due in at the moment and I am definitely more stressed out when I have an interview coming up (I puts loads of prep into interviews) and I have one on Weds so I am more stressed out than usual.
Ugh, I'm sorry you're feeling the same way. It is a horrible feeling. Am I right in saying it was your on CfC? If so, then I feel even more sorry for you because I know how hard we all try and it is a slap in the face at times. Do you think there is a real chance you might fail? Is your assessment like mine where you get graded alongside all the teaching standards?

It's ridiculous though isn't it? I hate turning down events. Friends who aren't in teaching don't understand and just think I'm making excuses. Family don't understand. My nanna is in hospital and I only have time to see her once a week, and even then I am thinking about work :frown:

No idea what I'll do if I don't teach. I'll cross that bridge once we've finished! Have you any ideas?

Yes, I'm CfC. All of my PGCE friends are outstanding so I have stopped talking to them because they don't understand and I end up feeling bitter. We are assessed against each standard and I am 'requires improvement' in each one.

I think there's a fair chance I might fail. My uni mentor has mentioned extra plavement weeks of push comes to shove. I'm not willing to consider any other career right now. I've always wanted to teach and still want to! I just don't know whether I will improve quickly enough.

Sorry to hear about your nanna. :frown: I know what you mean about friends, I find myself (when I do see them) either struggling to stay awake or making excuses to leave. None of my friends even work so they don't get it. They hear 'primary teacher' and assume easy life! My partner is a student nurse working shifts right now so my house is basically mental :redface: and I sm learning to drive and planning a wedding!
Original post by Samus2

Lesson planning is quite quick now but I have to plan on school and uni formats. I also have to make resources which takes a lot of time. I currently teach 60%, so three lots of marking every day. I can't do it in non-teaching time as I am observing/assisting. I get five hours a week to plan etc. and much of that is spent scribbling down notes for next week's planning!
I don't know to be honest because at first (when I was still teaching 13 hours) I was totally up to date with everything and managed to do all my lesson planning in my frees .These days my frees tend to be taken up with meetings/observations or extra stuff I have to do for pupils, meaning I can no longer fit everything in to school hours and I have to do it at night. I guess that is more accurate to real teaching because of the limited frees. Lesson plans don't take me AGES. It depends on the topic. Generally no longer than an hour. Normally half an hour.

I have a lot of essays due in at the moment and I am definitely more stressed out when I have an interview coming up (I puts loads of prep into interviews) and I have one on Weds so I am more stressed out than usual.

How many essays do you have to do? We only do 3 over the year and our journal tasks!

I guess I'm lucky that my frees aren't taken up by much this placement. And 12's have gone on study leave which has left me with 3 extra frees a week and after may half term I lose my 9's so that's another 4 frees a week... But I have a feeling I'll be spending an awful amount of time in those free periods completing admin.

Lesson planning is quite quick now but I have to plan on school and uni formats. I also have to make resources which takes a lot of time. I currently teach 60%, so three lots of marking every day. I can't do it in non-teaching time as I am observing/assisting. I get five hours a week to plan etc. and much of that is spent scribbling down notes for next week's planning!

Wait, so you have to do two sets of lesson plans!? I've not written a plan since january, whoops! Ahh you're primary right? From what I hear, primary is a killer for the actual planning!
Original post by Samus2
I've not written a plan since january, !

Which provider is letting you get away with not writing lesson plans?
Which provider is letting you get away with not writing lesson plans?

I complete brief five minute plans and medium term plans but so far I've only done plans for 'official' observations this placement.

Although, I don't think this is the norm - from what we've been told it comes down to the school's preference. Most people on my course have stopped doing plans.

Quick Reply

Latest