The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Tow
Haha! Yeah I'm so thankful for it! I can't imagine the painstaking work people would have to put in to memorise numbers!! I just generally memorise numbers after a minute or so with familiarity. Like I help some of my friends study for History and when I tell them the stats I basically memorise it myself too and then it just solidifies!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha jealous. That must help a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Haha jealous. That must help a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup!!! I sent it by the way :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 522
Original post by Tow
Yup!!! I sent it by the way :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

Do you tend to revise chapter by chapter or all at once when going over notes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Thanks!

Do you tend to revise chapter by chapter or all at once when going over notes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate the way the book laid it out.

The way I revise is like this:

Kaiser

Weimar

Nazis

And split those up into sections and revise each section :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 524
Original post by Tow
I hate the way the book laid it out.

The way I revise is like this:

Kaiser

Weimar

Nazis

And split those up into sections and revise each section :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes sense! Can I also ask how you prepare for part B? I tend to just go over theories for WW1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
That makes sense! Can I also ask how you prepare for part B? I tend to just go over theories for WW1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know!! The book is so bad in that respect!

And for part B WW1 I just go over the theories yeah it's really not that much work! Aside from that, practice reading sources I guess because I'm almost certain that the WW1 controversy will be harder than the Hitler one!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 526
Okay I've been working my way through Nazis and figured they could ask how successful their consolidation of power was by the end of 1933.

What would yall put for that? I was thinking, for agreement with the question, about the powers enabling act gave, abolition of other parties etc. although I fell like by myself I wouldn't be able to construct a good enough essay
Reply 527
Original post by Tow
Yeah I know!! The book is so bad in that respect!

And for part B WW1 I just go over the theories yeah it's really not that much work! Aside from that, practice reading sources I guess because I'm almost certain that the WW1 controversy will be harder than the Hitler one!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is bad :/ I'm glad there's other resources!
Last year's source paper for my unit had next to no resources

What makes you think that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 528
Original post by cuppa
Okay I've been working my way through Nazis and figured they could ask how successful their consolidation of power was by the end of 1933.

What would yall put for that? I was thinking, for agreement with the question, about the powers enabling act gave, abolition of other parties etc. although I fell like by myself I wouldn't be able to construct a good enough essay

I'd use an agree/disagree tactic.

Veneer of legality
Terror and violence
Pragmatism
Key support

I'd say that their main support was basically consolidated by 1933 but they still had to rely on support of key institutions and compromise (EG: the concordat) so it wasn't entirely consolidated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I'd use an agree/disagree tactic.

Veneer of legality
Terror and violence
Pragmatism
Key support

I'd say that their main support was basically consolidated by 1933 but they still had to rely on support of key institutions and compromise (EG: the concordat) so it wasn't entirely consolidated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Umm hmm... I don't understand what you mean by that. Could you elaborate on your points please? :smile:

I would focus on the impacts of their consolidation etc.

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
It is bad :/ I'm glad there's other resources!
Last year's source paper for my unit had next to no resources

What makes you think that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that because the content is generally easier

Also I asked my teacher! And she said this:

Theres enough time to learn both controversies so I don't see why schools wouldn't teach it. And no edexcel doesn't recommend doing just one otherwise they wouldn't put two in the first place. Also, the source question is worth 40 marks, are you really telling me you'd rather risk it on WW1? What would you do if you just didn't understand the sources (can definitely happen)? You have no back up plan. Doing 2 controversies should be a necessity for anyone who wants an A/A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's everyone predicting for the questions? Exam is pretty soon and it would surely be really useful if we concentrated on the more likely topics that could essentially come up.
Original post by Kmohazeb
What's everyone predicting for the questions? Exam is pretty soon and it would surely be really useful if we concentrated on the more likely topics that could essentially come up.

Noo don't do that. I think Nazi consolidation will come up but there is absolutely way of knowing. The exam board could come up with a completely new question we didn't even think of. Predicting questions and basing your revision on those predictions is pretty much the worst thing you could do!

Revise everything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 533
Original post by Tow
Umm hmm... I don't understand what you mean by that. Could you elaborate on your points please? :smile:

I would focus on the impacts of their consolidation etc.

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For example, the support of Hindenburg was key to Hitler being able to pass the Emergency Decrees after the Reichstag fire. All the way along the conservatives had helped him come to power and allowed his violence to be ignored for the sake of creating a mass movement which they could dismiss him from and take control.

It's a fairly one sided argument as to the extent that their power was consolidated, but several areas such as the church and civil service remained largely untouched when the Nazis came to power.

The concordat meant the church stayed out of politics but it could still pose a potential political barrier to Nazi law.

The civil service was removed of only 5% of its workforce in the reform laws of April 1933, meaning many civil servants were largely unscathed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 534
Original post by Tow
I think that because the content is generally easier

Also I asked my teacher! And she said this:

Theres enough time to learn both controversies so I don't see why schools wouldn't teach it. And no edexcel doesn't recommend doing just one otherwise they wouldn't put two in the first place. Also, the source question is worth 40 marks, are you really telling me you'd rather risk it on WW1? What would you do if you just didn't understand the sources (can definitely happen)? You have no back up plan. Doing 2 controversies should be a necessity for anyone who wants an A/A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah well. Each to their own. My teacher has confidence in the people who are getting A/A*s.

Roughly 10/200 students last year from my college chose the Nazi controversy when my college still taught it. It has allowed 5 weeks more revision time in class, and gives me less to revise, allowing me to focus more on WW1 knowledge, making sure I have an answer nailed.

Also, the Nazi controversy appears to be two questions in one - the efficiency of the state and the obedience to Hitler. It is hard to make these mutually exclusive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
For example, the support of Hindenburg was key to Hitler being able to pass the Emergency Decrees after the Reichstag fire. All the way along the conservatives had helped him come to power and allowed his violence to be ignored for the sake of creating a mass movement which they could dismiss him from and take control.

It's a fairly one sided argument as to the extent that their power was consolidated, but several areas such as the church and civil service remained largely untouched when the Nazis came to power.

The concordat meant the church stayed out of politics but it could still pose a potential political barrier to Nazi law.

The civil service was removed of only 5% of its workforce in the reform laws of April 1933, meaning many civil servants were largely unscathed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah but let's look at it realistically, Hitler doesn't have a party full of professionals!! He can't fire everyone and rehire a Nazi for each job position! Think of the judiciary! He cant fire all the judges because it takes time and skill to become a judge!

This is the idea of Party vs State and its something you explore in Controversy 2 in Hitler (see my point?).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah well. Each to their own. My teacher has confidence in the people who are getting A/A*s.

Roughly 10/200 students last year from my college chose the Nazi controversy when my college still taught it. It has allowed 5 weeks more revision time in class, and gives me less to revise, allowing me to focus more on WW1 knowledge, making sure I have an answer nailed.

Also, the Nazi controversy appears to be two questions in one - the efficiency of the state and the obedience to Hitler. It is hard to make these mutually exclusive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Nazi controversy can either be 'how effective was Hitler' or 'how popular was Hitler'. they're completely separate and don't require THAT much knowledge.

But yeah I can see where your teacher is coming from :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 537
Original post by Tow
Well yeah but let's look at it realistically, Hitler doesn't have a party full of professionals!! He can't fire everyone and rehire a Nazi for each job position! Think of the judiciary! He cant fire all the judges because it takes time and skill to become a judge!

This is the idea of Party vs State and its something you explore in Controversy 2 in Hitler (see my point?).

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that's what I'm saying - he's limited in taking absolute control by the necessity to have a functioning state.

My point is, the duplication of function of party and state roles is actually a clear sign that the Nazis haven't consolidated total power by the end of 1933, as there are signs that the "old state" still holds key power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 538
Original post by Tow

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would personally argue that power has been consolidated essentially by 1933, but that this compromise of allowing the "old" church and state roles does show pragmatism and that a totalitarian state hasn't necessarily been achieved - look at the Night of the Long Knives for example, where threats were still being posed to leadership after 1933.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I would personally argue that power has been consolidated essentially by 1933, but that this compromise of allowing the "old" church and state roles does show pragmatism and that a totalitarian state hasn't necessarily been achieved - look at the Night of the Long Knives for example, where threats were still being posed to leadership after 1933.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. I would say that there is an indication that he doesn't have total control (even though this is a feeble link because he can't have total control anyway!!! God I hate this)

But what do you mean by Night of the Long Knives, that's an indication that he did have control after it of course. Or do you mean the occurrence of such an event illustrates that there wasn't total consolidation - in which case you could argue that it was consolidated but not fully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending