The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pollyanna1998
My current college doesn't let you resit, I feel like I'd snap up the opportunity to resit year 12 though, and put more into it :frown: We will just have to see how bad I do...

My sixth form is quite against it, they were trying to persuade kids with EUU to carry on. Needless to say, we stood our ground.

You won't do bad at all! Regardless of what people say, your AS grades don't matter too much. A kid at my school has an offer from Loughborough for Physics or Engineering, with an E in physics (he is resitting every exam this year alongside A2).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GelukkigChloe
My sixth form is quite against it, they were trying to persuade kids with EUU to carry on. Needless to say, we stood our ground.

You won't do bad at all! Regardless of what people say, your AS grades don't matter too much. A kid at my school has an offer from Loughborough for Physics or Engineering, with an E in physics (he is resitting every exam this year alongside A2).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm confused about applying to universities, is ABB the grades they want you to have for AS or for AS and A2 combined.

I know a lot of people settle down in A2 and get working hard.
Yeah I'm confused about applying to universities, is ABB the grades they want you to have for AS or for AS and A2 combined.

I know a lot of people settle down in A2 and get working hard.

ABB are the grades they want at the end of A2. If your school hasn't got a reputation of over-inflating predicted A2 grades (so, students apply with an AAB prediction but actually attain a BDD or something very often) and they give you a predicted grade of ABB then there is no reason why you can't apply to those universities. Most sixth forms tend to look at the highest grade required by the uni and put that as your predicted (unless they genuinely think it is impossible for you to achieve that grade or there is a strong possibility that you will over achieve). Many sixth forms stick to the 'one grade higher' rule, where they predict you one grade higher than your AS results. So if you get BCC, they will predict you ABB. It isn't an uncommon prediction 😊

Edit: my school has always put the grades the student needs to get into the uni of their choice except in this one case where this kid who got three E's in AS wanted an A*A*A prediction. Obviously that was never going to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
ABB are the grades they want at the end of A2. If your school hasn't got a reputation of over-inflating predicted A2 grades (so, students apply with an AAB prediction but actually attain a BDD or something very often) and they give you a predicted grade of ABB then there is no reason why you can't apply to those universities. Most sixth forms tend to look at the highest grade required by the uni and put that as your predicted (unless they genuinely think it is impossible for you to achieve that grade or there is a strong possibility that you will over achieve). Many sixth forms stick to the 'one grade higher' rule, where they predict you one grade higher than your AS results. So if you get BCC, they will predict you ABB. It isn't an uncommon prediction 😊

Edit: my school has always put the grades the student needs to get into the uni of their choice except in this one case where this kid who got three E's in AS wanted an A*A*A prediction. Obviously that was never going to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My college sucks ass, it literally writes down your AS grades as your A2 prediction
My college sucks ass, it literally writes down your AS grades as your A2 prediction

That sucks! Maybe you could sweet talk them into predicting higher grades, especially if it's only tweaking one or two. If not then you can always apply through adjustment if you get higher grades or take a gap year and apply 😊 I'm living proof that an extra year doesn't hurt much

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sucks! Maybe you could sweet talk them into predicting higher grades, especially if it's only tweaking one or two. If not then you can always apply through adjustment if you get higher grades or take a gap year and apply 😊 I'm living proof that an extra year doesn't hurt much

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd like to go to university at the same time as my friends though :smile:
Yeah here's to hoping my sweet talking skills are enough. Maybe I'll bring them cake :smile:
I'd like to go to university at the same time as my friends though :smile:
Yeah here's to hoping my sweet talking skills are enough. Maybe I'll bring them cake :smile:

I can guarantee that once you get to university, it doesn't matter when your friends went there 😊 some of my friends were dead set on uni and have ended up taking a gap year. Even when you go to uni, you will unlikely go to the same one as your friends and even so, uni is a big place and you are not guaranteed to see them.

Please don't let friends be a factor in what you decide to do for your future. That was the reason why I chose the wrong A-Level subjects for me first time round. Don't miss good opportunities because you want to go to uni at the same time as your friends because once you are there, nobody cares 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can guarantee that once you get to university, it doesn't matter when your friends went there 😊 some of my friends were dead set on uni and have ended up taking a gap year. Even when you go to uni, you will unlikely go to the same one as your friends and even so, uni is a big place and you are not guaranteed to see them.

Please don't let friends be a factor in what you decide to do for your future. That was the reason why I chose the wrong A-Level subjects for me first time round. Don't miss good opportunities because you want to go to uni at the same time as your friends because once you are there, nobody cares 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not letting my friends be a big deciding factor, I'm going to do what I want to do and go where I want to go regardless, I just meant that I want to go when I'm 18 I guess, so that im not older than most of the people in my 'year' or whatever. But of course if I need to resit then 100% I will.
I'm not letting my friends be a big deciding factor, I'm going to do what I want to do and go where I want to go regardless, I just meant that I want to go when I'm 18 I guess, so that im not older than most of the people in my 'year' or whatever. But of course if I need to resit then 100% I will.

Good! I'm sorry if I seemed a bit bossy there, I just hear a lot of stupid things from people in the year I'm currently in about applying to the same unis as their friends just to stay together etc. Some even sacrificing their dream unis to go to one closer to their boyfriend 😩

Going to uni at 18 does have its benefits though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good! I'm sorry if I seemed a bit bossy there, I just hear a lot of stupid things from people in the year I'm currently in about applying to the same unis as their friends just to stay together etc. Some even sacrificing their dream unis to go to one closer to their boyfriend 😩

Going to uni at 18 does have its benefits though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No no I got that you were concerned ahah, yeah I think that's stupid... You probably won't even be friends/dating in a few weeks/months/years so why give up your dream. And if they're worth it, they will come back.
No no I got that you were concerned ahah, yeah I think that's stupid... You probably won't even be friends/dating in a few weeks/months/years so why give up your dream. And if they're worth it, they will come back.

Exactly!

So, I've legitimately got no sleep. This is going to be a fun exam!
Original post by dw1996
Outline the Robertson's case studies of John, followed by the PDD model and then compare it to Lucy, Jane, Tom and Kate.

I don't understrand the Laura's theory
Good luck to all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eleanor303
I reckon the easiest method to describe with these words would be elaborative rehearsal - so using Acronyms. Elaborative rehearsal is any memory method which makes the student think of the information in a new way. The student could use the first letter of each feature to create a new word, for example E from Evolution could become Elephants, C from Critical Period could become Can. The student would then arrange these words into a phrase which could be learnt and act as a cue for retrieving the original set of words. The phrase could be "Elephants can sometimes meet camels"

thank you !!! :smile:
I was so ready for this exam but I became ill over the weekend and I'm still ill, which s just great :frown: Good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by Zirnuke
I would say something along the lines of how Acronyms can be used to memorise the main features of the theory. This is done by taking the first letter of each word and composing them to make a short sentence or another word to aid recall. This helps memory through association and so the student can look at all the first letters which create ECSMC and create a sentence like Elephants Carry So Many Cars.

Obviously make it sound slightly more together than that but you get the gist.

Thank you! :smile:
Good luck to everyone, if you feel stressed go take some BB's!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ThatSociopath
Good luck go everyone, if you feel stressed go take some BB's!

Beta blockers?
Original post by SunDun111
Beta blockers?

Yup

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending