The Student Room Group

Tooth aren't aligned after getting filling

I got a filling in one of my molar teeth in the bottom. But now my teeth aren't aligned: the top set are ahead of the bottom set (i.e. the top set is closer to my lips). I don't understand how this can happen when all the dentist did was put metal into a tooth. Anyway, is it easy to fix this? I am really worried that it won't ever be normal again. I am going for a root canal treatment too on a different tooth (on the opposite side), and I am wondering when to tell the dentist about my misaligned teeth.
Reply 1
Tell them when you see them next.
I highly doubt a single filling did anything significant to change your occlusion (and your top jaw can't move forward, think about it), but it is probably just a little high and needs adjusting. Tell them at the next visit.
Reply 3
Original post by minor bun engine
I highly doubt a single filling did anything significant to change your occlusion (and your top jaw can't move forward, think about it), but it is probably just a little high and needs adjusting. Tell them at the next visit.

It's weird, the opposite side to the filling comes down first and makes contact. Maybe I am just worried too much about it. But in my natural position it does feel awkward and strange, and my jaw feels weird. Do you know if I need to numb to get it adjusted?
Reply 4
Original post by Usar
It's weird, the opposite side to the filling comes down first and makes contact. Maybe I am just worried too much about it. But in my natural position it does feel awkward and strange, and my jaw feels weird. Do you know if I need to numb to get it adjusted?

It sounds like the fillings just too high; they will probably just scrape a bit away. It does feel weird when the fillings not proper! It won't be painful though because they will just be adjusting the size. It probably sticks out a little and makes your mouth feel weird because of it :smile:
Original post by Usar

Then the filling is probably too low and needs to be built up a little. The discrepancy will feel strange as you are used to your teeth coming together evenly, but it's very straightforward to correct. Unlikely you will need any anaesthetic, they essentially just need to add a little material and then ensure the teeth occlude as they should.
Reply 6
Original post by Usar

Original post by cuppa
It sounds like the fillings just too high; they will probably just scrape a bit away. It does feel weird when the fillings not proper! It won't be painful though because they will just be adjusting the size. It probably sticks out a little and makes your mouth feel weird because of it :smile:

Original post by minor bun engine
Then the filling is probably too low and needs to be built up a little. The discrepancy will feel strange as you are used to your teeth coming together evenly, but it's very straightforward to correct. Unlikely you will need any anaesthetic, they essentially just need to add a little material and then ensure the teeth occlude as they should.

Thanks guys. It just feels like my top teeth have shifted to the front and to the right. I guess if I don't need to anaesthetised then the dentist can do it on the same day he starts my root canal treatment (on a tooth on the other side).

Quick Reply

Latest