The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevels2k15
Guys, say in the exam, i cannot remember the names of the researchers... If i write random names or no names at all, how many marks do i lose?

For AS you don't need to write the researcher's name as long as the study's description is identifiable to the examiner. Don't make up random names.
Original post by gwhite14
I literally just mention them in brackets, e.g.
-The STM has a duration of roughly 18 seconds (Peterson + Peterson) + has a capacity of 7+/-2 chunks (Miller) + mainly encodes info acoustically.
-The LTM has unlimited capacity + duration + encodes info semantically (Baddeley). Info can be recalled from the LTM back into the STM when it’s needed.

But also explain the sensory memory (i.e. large capacity but very brief duration!) Hope that helps

thank you, I didn't know it had a large capacity!
what is the difference between privation, deprivation, institutionalisation and disruption of attachment?
MSM
AO1

Sensory input
brief duration
v (attention)

STM
acoustic, limited cap., 7+-2 items (miller), 18s duration (peterson + peterson) (god i hate writing a name twice)

v (rehearsal)

LTM
semantic (baddeley)
unlimited cap., unlimited duration (?)

AO2

murdoch serial position effect, primary/recency effect -> evidence 2 stores

lab studies

important research/foundation

PET scans evidence for diff stores

ignores nature of info. (easy to recall funny/relevant info)

now i reaaaally hope MSM is the 12 marker
difference between covert and single blind?
Original post by Relish
what is the difference between privation, deprivation, institutionalisation and disruption of attachment?

Privation - when a child has never formed an attachment with a caregiver.

Deprivation - occurs when an attachment bond is formed but is broken later on a long-term basis

Institution - Place where a children are placed when their parents are not able to care for them. Deprivation occurs here! (Child forms an attachment with caregiver. Care giver leaves.)

Disruption of attachment - This is similar to deprivation. For example if a mother leaves a child for 5 straight weeks the attachment bond is distributed. It's short term.
(edited 8 years ago)
What time is everyone's exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kloekayne

Posted from TSR Mobile

same time 1:30
Reply 1028
When doing a 12 mark question on the msm what research can be used?
Original post by xtenshiai
same time 1:30

It's 1;45? And isn't duration 18-30 seconds
Original post by Relish

Privation + institutionalisation are the same thing. Attachments are never formed from birth
Disruption and deprivation are the same thing. Attachments are 'broken'.
yea think so
Original post by SunDun111

1:45 is late?! Ours starts at 1pm
Original post by Kloekayne

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine's at 2. Good luck to all btw :tongue:

oh my exam sheet says 1:30
i always get confused by the duration so 18-30 seconds then
Anyone think
-research into attachment has affected daycare
OR
-research into daycare has affected day care practices will come up?
Original post by rswk
When doing a 12 mark question on the msm what research can be used?

-KF case study. Person had issues with verbal info and not visual info. Suggests that STM is not one single modality as MSM suggests.
+Beardsley and Squire. Brain scans showed prefrontal cortex active during STM tasks, and hippocampus active during LTM tasks. Suggests they are separate like MSM suggests
+Sperling helps support the existence of sensory memory. Letters and numbers shown to PPs for fraction of a second. When asked to recall whole grid, their recall was very poor. When asked to recall only one line, their recall was good. Suggests that info decays rapidly in SM.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Fenicoteri
difference between covert and single blind?

Don't need to know this! The only question that will be asked on it is in relevance to how to reduce observer effect (could use the double blind procedure so both pps and observer don't know the aim of the experiment) Or the single blind procedure where pps don't know aim of the experiment so cannot suffer from demand characteristics
Guys when describing the MSM/WMM do you need to know the details of the studies into capacity etc or can you just say 'Miller discovered that the capacity of the STM is 7+-2'???
Silly question but just making sure, when answering questions can we refer to participants as pps in the exam because I now some marks are for spelling etc. Can we also refer to Eye witness testimony as EWT and short-term memory as STM etc?

Quick Reply