The Student Room Group

Female students are at greater risk of sexual violence than ever before

Scroll to see replies

I'm glad the author has used the really credible research that the NUS did (lol). Here's the NUS article:

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/news/nus-research-reveals-one-in-four-students-suffer-unwelcome-sexual-advances/
http://www.nus.org.uk/Global/20140911%20Lad%20Culture%20FINAL.pdf << the study

Just browsing the article you can see it's not 37pcnt experiencing sexual violence or advances, it's actually:

"In the survey of over 2,000 men and women students almost one third of respondents said they endure unwanted sexual comments about their body (12 per cent of men, 37 per cent of women)."

That can literally be anything from "some guy called me hot, disgusting" to "someone said I looked pretty, eugh objectifying me!!".

Not to mention the entire study was done online which is a way better method than going out and talking to actual students face to face yeah.
Original post by Feels
It is, rape is over after a few minutes, a false accusation is something that can put someone innocent in jail for many years and forever ruin their reputation.

Rape effects most people for the rest of their lives love.

Its so hard to convict someone for rape that I doubt many/any students have gone to jail over a false accusation.
Original post by Feels
It is, rape is over after a few minutes, a false accusation is something that can put someone innocent in jail for many years and forever ruin their reputation.

The physical impact of rape may be over in a few minutes, that is so long as no violent injuries were incurred which put you in hospital, but the psychological trauma will last the victim years and years, in many cases their whole lives.

Rape victims are at increased likelihood of: severe depression, eating disorders, PTSD, self-harm, flashbacks, addiction,dissociation,pregnancy, suicide. How dare you diminish an absolutely horrendous assault to something merely 'over after a few minutes.'

The incidence of victims reporting rape is extremely low, a rapist is highly unlikely to ever be caught because victims are terrified of not being believed, of being told that they're lying, that they're just out to ruin an innocent man's life. 98% of actual rapists will not spend a day in prison. This is why there is a drive to push victims to report their attacker, and attitudes like yours will massively discourage them, it is highly likely given the high incidence of rape that a victim will come across your post, feel further ashamed, humiliated and dirty.

Yes there are cases when men are falsely accused, but in reality they are few and far between. Why must they always be mentioned only when rape is talked about alone? The plight of these small amount of wrongly accused attackers is important, and deserves its own thread and own conversation, why only mention it in response to an article about rape victims?

The amount of victim blaming on this thread is sickening, the victim is not to blame because they 'put themselves in that situation', or because 'they were drunk'. The reason they were raped was that they were unfortunate enough to encounter a rapist, simple.
Original post by redferry

Its so hard to convict someone for rape that I doubt many/any students have gone to jail over a false accusation.

Depending on the circomstances, a false accusation can aswell and have implications for they're prospects
Original post by Feels
No it doesn't, it rarely leaves any permanent damage.

So depression, PTSD, self-harm,flashbacks,addiction, STD, eating disorders and suicide are not permanent? Because the majority of times, these last a lifetime.

Suicide is pretty damn permanent is it not?
Original post by Feels
Psychological effects isn't a real tangible thing, every action effects someone psychologically and not everybody reacts in the same way.
Simply making fun of someone can have worse psychological effects than raping them.

Rape is a form of assault and has to be looked at as a physical action from a legal viewpoint. A lot of people make too big a deal of what it really is, getting beaten up is far more damging generally.

The ignorance of this is astounding, I suggest that you take down this disgusting post down before a victim of rape comes across it. It is highly likely to further dissuade them from reporting their attacker, or even to drive them over the edge into suicide.

If you had been raped, you sure as hell wouldn't think that 'people make too big a deal' out of it.
Original post by Ritterschaft
Depending on the circomstances, a false accusation can aswell and have implications for they're prospects

Depending on the circumstance, so can rape
Depending on the circumstance, so can rape

So.... Where's the evidence that it does more so than rape?
It's worrying how many people (generally men) will dismiss the claims of women or downplay the effects of rape. Not taking claims seriously is why rapists get away with it.

I've seen the impact rape and sexual violence in three people close to me. It's horrible, it can turn someone from an extrovert into someone scared of their own shadow. In only one case did the police take it serious enough to investigate properly. Eight year jail sentence for violent gang rape. Says a lot about our attitude to rape.
Original post by Feels
Psychological effects isn't a real tangible thing, every action effects someone psychologically and not everybody reacts in the same way.
Simply making fun of someone can have worse psychological effects than raping them.

Rape is a form of assault and has to be looked at as a physical action from a legal viewpoint. A lot of people make too big a deal of what it really is, getting beaten up is far more damging generally.

It may be difficult to diagnose or understand but that doesn't make it any less real. Almost all mental health diagnosis is through the observation of symptoms, due to how little we know about what actually causes it, do you take issue with the validity of other mental health problems like depression and schizophrenia as well?

I wasn't talking about the legal view of rape, I don't see what that's got to do with it. The fact that other traumatic experiences may or may not be more damaging is irrelevant, it's not a contest. You're right that people react differently to certain experiences, though I'm pretty sure there will be a much stronger correlation between being raped and developing psychological problems than there is between being made fun of and developing them. A study in America found that almost a third of rape victims were diagnosed with PTSD, for example.

I don't think the poster you originally quoted said that false accusations of rape are a bigger problem than rape itself. He just said that they're a problem.

The problem doesn't just extend to wrongful convictions; the stigma of a rape allegation can expose people to social exclusion, violence and death threats.

Students sure have gone to prison falsely accused of rape. A prime example would be Brian Banks, who signed with the NFL while he was at college before being accused and convicted of rape of one of his classmates. He was imprisoned for five years before being exonerated by an audio recording of the alleged victim admitting she had fabricated the whole thing. Just imagine the opportunity cost: five years playing pro football, versus five years of your physical peak spent unable to earn or even train.
Reply 31
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
It may be difficult to diagnose or understand but that doesn't make it any less real. Almost all mental health diagnosis is through the observation of symptoms, due to how little we know about what actually causes it, do you take issue with the validity of other mental health problems like depression and schizophrenia as well?

I wasn't talking about the legal view of rape, I don't see what that's got to do with it. The fact that other traumatic experiences may or may not be more damaging is irrelevant, it's not a contest. You're right that people react differently to certain experiences, though I'm pretty sure there will be a much stronger correlation between being raped and developing psychological problems than there is between being made fun of and developing them. A study in America found that almost a third of rape victims were diagnosed with PTSD, for example.

These 'studies' all have an agenda behind them and you shouldn't trust them, its all based on trying to break down relationships between men and women, foster distrust between them both. Peope who have bad psychological trauma from sexual abuse were usually victims of it many times, over a very long period of time, similar to someone who is beaten everyday would develop psychological problems. Women who were raped once for a few minutes and claim it ruined their lives forever are just classic attention seekers, nobody is that weak.

Not to say it isn't bad because it is, but I'd personally take being raped once over going to prison for many years over something I didn't do, go on the sex offenders list and have my reputation ruined forever, which is the source of what we were talking about.

It depends on how often somebody is raped, similar to any other type of abuse, once instance of it is unlikely to effect you for the rest of your life, I'd know, I was a victim of it on one occasion.
Reply 32
Original post by simbasdragon
The physical impact of rape may be over in a few minutes, that is so long as no violent injuries were incurred which put you in hospital, but the psychological trauma will last the victim years and years, in many cases their whole lives.

Rape victims are at increased likelihood of: severe depression, eating disorders, PTSD, self-harm, flashbacks, addiction,dissociation,pregnancy, suicide. How dare you diminish an absolutely horrendous assault to something merely 'over after a few minutes.'

The incidence of victims reporting rape is extremely low, a rapist is highly unlikely to ever be caught because victims are terrified of not being believed, of being told that they're lying, that they're just out to ruin an innocent man's life. 98% of actual rapists will not spend a day in prison. This is why there is a drive to push victims to report their attacker, and attitudes like yours will massively discourage them, it is highly likely given the high incidence of rape that a victim will come across your post, feel further ashamed, humiliated and dirty.

Yes there are cases when men are falsely accused, but in reality they are few and far between. Why must they always be mentioned only when rape is talked about alone? The plight of these small amount of wrongly accused attackers is important, and deserves its own thread and own conversation, why only mention it in response to an article about rape victims?

The amount of victim blaming on this thread is sickening, the victim is not to blame because they 'put themselves in that situation', or because 'they were drunk'. The reason they were raped was that they were unfortunate enough to encounter a rapist, simple.

Your statistics are incorrect. In this country people are assumed innocent until proven guilty, so there is literally no way of knowing if 98% of rapists never go to prison, its all conjecture, its unlikely all of them are as guilty as weirdos like you often believe, rape isn't always a black and white issue. Its not about victim blaming, its about finding out the the hard facts to see what happened, and yes, things like being drunk make a rape accusation a very hard to define issue, how much alcohol can someone have in their system before they are legally unable to consent? It isn't defined, nobody knows.

The ignorance of this is astounding, I suggest that you take down this disgusting post down before a victim of rape comes across it. It is highly likely to further dissuade them from reporting their attacker, or even to drive them over the edge into suicide.

If you had been raped, you sure as hell wouldn't think that 'people make too big a deal' out of it.

I have been sexually abused so I know the effects better than anybody, get over your phony outrage. Many people do make too big a deal out of it, thats a simple fact and if that offends you well, too bad.
Reply 33
Original post by Quantex
It's worrying how many people (generally men) will dismiss the claims of women or downplay the effects of rape. Not taking claims seriously is why rapists get away with it.

I've seen the impact rape and sexual violence in three people close to me. It's horrible, it can turn someone from an extrovert into someone scared of their own shadow. In only one case did the police take it serious enough to investigate properly. Eight year jail sentence for violent gang rape. Says a lot about our attitude to rape.

Its also worrying how many people (generally women) actually try to use rape and sexual harrassment as a weapon against men to ruin their lives. I've seen many cases of it from sick and deluded women, feminists in particular are fond of doing it.

People need to stop looking at rape from an emotional angle because you're just making things worse and giving more power to it.
What a load of bull****. Trying to use NUS stats from a biased study and then going on to suggest that there is a rape culture in British Universities.

Women are not in more danger than ever before, it is sensationist reporting designed as click bait, that is all.

So depression, PTSD, self-harm,flashbacks,addiction, STD, eating disorders and suicide are not permanent? Because the majority of times, these last a lifetime.

Suicide is pretty damn permanent is it not?

No actually, depression, PTSD, self harm, flashbacks, addiction and eating disorders are not permanent.

STDs can be permanent but not normally and suicide is only permanent if it is carried out with prupose, there are plenty of people who attempt suicide and "fail" at it.
Original post by Feels
These 'studies' all have an agenda behind them and you shouldn't trust them, its all based on trying to break down relationships between men and women, foster distrust between them both. Peope who have bad psychological trauma from sexual abuse were usually victims of it many times, over a very long period of time, similar to someone who is beaten everyday would develop psychological problems. Women who were raped once for a few minutes and claim it ruined their lives forever are just classic attention seekers, nobody is that weak.

An extremely ignorant statement that has nothing to do with reality. It seems you're the one with an agenda here.

Not to say it isn't bad because it is, but I'd personally take being raped once over going to prison for many years over something I didn't do, go on the sex offenders list and have my reputation ruined forever, which is the source of what we were talking about.

Being falsely accused of raped is definitely bad, but it's not as traumatising as being raped, even once.

It depends on how often somebody is raped, similar to any other type of abuse, once instance of it is unlikely to effect you for the rest of your life, I'd know, I was a victim of it on one occasion.

So? Your personal experiences need not be the same as other people. I personally live in a high-crime area; I've been robbed and assaulted many times. From my own personal experience, I could say that I'm used to it whereas someone who has only been robbed/assaulted once may be extremely traumatised depending on the circumstances. But it doesn't mean anything since it's not a competition.
(edited 8 years ago)
I find it difficult to believe, in my 2 years at uni in a town of 50,000+ students there's been one reported rape of a student here and people were talking about it for a week. And about 1/3 of those students live in higher crime areas of the city.
Reply 37
Original post by GodAtum
From an article in the Times http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/magazine/article4431028.ece

I admit to have objectified girls and wanted to conqueor them but I never got as far as even kissing a girl. When i was at uni a few years ago there wasnt much of the uni lad culture. in my Computer Science course no-one lost their viginity at uni.

Probably because you were on the computer science course. This whole new emergence of lad culture is such bull

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending