The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
I thought M2 was meant to be of similar difficulty to Physics A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No way near. You don't even get a formula book, you have to remember all the formulae
Original post by Me123456789
Oh, thank you.:smile:
So if an A was 58/75 and I got 12/25 and 46/50 which totals to 58 I'd get an A?
And are you completely sure, it's just something my teacher said that confused me.

How do you know what an A is on each section? You just get the total grade boundary for both sections, so obviously it's the total marks that matter.
Original post by ubisoft
How do you know what an A is on each section? You just get the total grade boundary for both sections, so obviously it's the total marks that matter.

The grade boundaries put marks for both of the papers:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BOUND-JAN13.PDF
Original post by Me123456789
The grade boundaries put marks for both of the papers:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BOUND-JAN13.PDF

It is the total
Original post by CD223
Didn't realise it also applied to fairground rides!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it does. If you work out the horizontal and vertical components of the the body rotating at an angle and then combining them together then you arrive at the same equation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Yeah it does. If you work out the horizontal and vertical components of the the body rotating at an angle and then combining them together then you arrive at the same equation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it applies to any body in circular motion only under its reaction/levitation force and without friction. An aeroplane should give the same formula.
Original post by PotterPhysics
I think it applies to any body in circular motion only under its reaction/levitation force and without friction. An aeroplane should give the same formula.

Yeah, that's true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1327
Original post by ubisoft
No way near. You don't even get a formula book, you have to remember all the formulae

Oh right! I find M2 easier than physics though :L

I think it's just the amount of theory and wordy questions that make it harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1328

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I take it they're horizontal fairground rides and not things like Ferris wheels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1329
Original post by PotterPhysics

Does it not have to be in horizontal circular motion for this equation to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah I take it they're horizontal fairground rides and not things like Ferris wheels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, no ferris wheels, because in ferris wheels the centripetal force varies around the circle, and even if the centripetal force didn't vary, that's fair wheels in the absence of gravitational fields, there would be no component of the weight and with using that equation it would be assumed the body is in circular motion at and angle of 90 or 0 degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1331
Yeah, no ferris wheels, because in ferris wheels the centripetal force varies around the circle, and even if the centripetal force didn't vary, that's fair wheels in the absence of gravitational fields, there would be no component of the weight and with using that equation it would be assumed the body is in circular motion at and angle of 90 or 0 degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. Thanks.

Ferris wheels would only have R, the reaction force, and mg, the weight, acting if all other resistance forces are ignored, so in this case the centripetal force would vary between R+mg at the top and R-mg at the bottom, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1332
One month today guys! Let's make it count!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I see. Thanks.

Ferris wheels would only have R, the reaction force, and mg, the weight, acting if all other resistance forces are ignored, so in this case the centripetal force would vary between R+mg at the top and R-mg at the bottom, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but R+mg at the bottom and R-mg at the top because at the top the body has overcome it's weight. It's like you throw a ball into the air and try to measure it's weight. While it's moving upwards the weight is 'negative' and at the the turning point the weight would be zero

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1334
Yeah, but R+mg at the bottom and R-mg at the top because at the top the body has overcome it's weight. It's like you throw a ball into the air and try to measure it's weight. While it's moving upwards the weight is 'negative' and at the the turning point the weight would be zero

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm talking about centripetal motion - the resultant force is always towards the centre so whichever force points towards the centre is greatest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I'm talking about centripetal motion - the resultant force is always towards the centre so whichever force points towards the centre is greatest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I meant as well :smile:, but i think my explanation lacked details.
The point at the bottom of the fair wheel would experience the greatest resultant force.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1336
That's what I meant as well :smile:, but i think my explanation lacked details.
The point at the bottom of the fair wheel would experience the greatest resultant force.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely the magnitude of the resultant force would remain constant around the circle if the speed was constant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Surely the magnitude of the resultant force would remain constant around the circle if the speed was constant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, definitely, but not if it was circular motion in vertical plane in a gravitational field

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Does it not have to be in horizontal circular motion for this equation to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah of course, forgot to mention that
Reply 1339
Yeah, definitely, but not if it was circular motion in vertical plane in a gravitational field

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right :smile: do you think they would make us comment on gravitational fields in the circular motion topic though?

Only think I can envisage is them using the gravitational formula F=GMmr2F=\frac{GMm}{r^2} and equating it to the centripetal force for a satellite?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending