The Student Room Group

worried about my AQA sociology exam tomorrow!

Anyone else really struggling with remembering everything for families and households tomorrow?

What are the main topics everyone is focusing on?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apparently, this will be the final paper for this syllabus so they might make it harder... I'd say focus on social policies and feminism etc. Also what happens if you dont mention sociologists in your essay but you include their case study will you loose marks?
Original post by nayana71
Apparently, this will be the final paper for this syllabus so they might make it harder... I'd say focus on social policies and feminism etc. Also what happens if you dont mention sociologists in your essay but you include their case study will you loose marks?

i teach it. Likely: childhood, theories, social policy
unlikely: demography
Reply 3

It is better to mention the sociologists, however i dont think you will loose a lot of marks. try to remember few sociologists
Reply 4
Original post by risteard

is it likely to get a 24 marker on postmodernism?
Original post by anilmg98
It is better to mention the sociologists, however i dont think you will loose a lot of marks. try to remember few sociologists

You will lose significant marks if you don't mention sociologists, I know, I'm an examiner.
Original post by anilmg98
is it likely to get a 24 marker on postmodernism?

Yes diversity is a possibility.
Reply 7

Haha i dont take advice from people claiming to be examiners, what did the examining office send you on a mission to find out what students think will come up and then change the paper completely thanks for the tip i will most definitely not do what you told me.
Haha i dont take advice from people claiming to be examiners, what did the examining office send you on a mission to find out what students think will come up and then change the paper completely thanks for the tip i will most definitely not do what you told me.

If you check out my wall you will see that I am a teacher and mark papers for aqa.

Foolish child
Came in here when I was sick and bored over easter...thought I could help out.

Best wishes for tomorrow. You will probably need them.

It shouldn't be harder - there are checks each year to make sure the papers are of a similar standard. If it turns out that candidates find it harder then the grade boundaries may go down to make sure that the standard is the same from year to year.

If you want some last minute flashcards to help you memorise key names, theories and concepts, all of the learning resources on TSR are now free.

For flashcards on Familes and Households try this search result.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources?q=&level_id[]=as&subject_id[]=sociology&board_id[]=aqa&topic[]=Families+and+households&kind[]=flashcards
If you check out my wall you will see that I am a teacher and mark papers for aqa.

Foolish child

Why is your rep so low for? you must be giving your candidates really bad feedback.
Why is your rep so low for? you must be giving your candidates really bad feedback.

In the past i have told lazy students what they don't want to hear. I'm not the sort of teacher who indulges the lazy, or feeds the false hope of those doing particular subjects who think they can get into Russell Group universities whilst claiming that sociology is a weak A level - however one that can get you into a 'top university'.

If you look at my wall you will see several satisfied 'customers'

Anyhow. This conversation is over.

Oh good, i have been revising them and i completely forgot about demography - i don't know anything about it!
Reply 14
Which theories are you referring to sir?
Reply 15
what is everyone focusing on revising tonight for tomorrow? Is doing past papers a good idea?
Original post by Himzjad
Which theories are you referring to sir?

Functionalism/new right
Marxism
Feminism (s)
Interactionism/Postmodernism

2/3 is about the theory you are being asked about - most likely the first three above

1/3 evaluative points from the other perspectives

Hope this helps :smile:
You should be able to write just over two pages for a 24 mark question. Stronger candidates will write 2 1/2 to three
Reply 18
Original post by The Learn Ranger
It shouldn't be harder - there are checks each year to make sure the papers are of a similar standard. If it turns out that candidates find it harder then the grade boundaries may go down to make sure that the standard is the same from year to year.

If you want some last minute flashcards to help you memorise key names, theories and concepts, all of the learning resources on TSR are now free.

For flashcards on Familes and Households try this search result.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources?q=&level_id[]=as&subject_id[]=sociology&board_id[]=aqa&topic[]=Families+and+households&kind[]=flashcards

Thank you for your help!!!

What is social policy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending