The Student Room Group

OCR F581 Markets in Action - 11 May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by nectempus
On the consumer surplus one I didn't draw in the two supply curves I just showed the change of price it would cause and the demand curves. Will I be penalised?

Why would you draw a supply curve for consumer surplus?
Reply 1781
I did not like the way they labelled their price and quantity axes, they put them right where I was trying to write my P and Q points. :angry:
Also, does anyone know if there's some sort of rule for 100 UMS? Obviously it will change depending on grade boundaries, but is there any reasonably decent way of working it out?
Original post by 2014_GCSE
I think 44-47 personally

I think it could be lower because there were no questions on factors of production which are easy marks for most people
Reply 1783
Original post by aoxa

Because the question asked for the effect of a fall in quantity supplied, therefore a shift to the left in the supply curve and a rise in price as a result, which reduces consumer surplus.
Original post by aoxa

The question was also asking for a price decrease in relation to the supply curve shifting to the left. That's why a lot of people puzzled by this.
Original post by chloe-jessica
If you explained these two then yes, I don't see why that would be wrong. The question was referring to determinants of PED, contrary to what many people on here are saying.

Could we also mention number of subisitues, as more subistues more elastic a product is?
It was used on the bio fuels which has positive externalities as less pollution
I took the January 2013 exam and the 18 mark question was on subsidies (however it did have a context). I got 18/18 so it may be useful to see if what you said was similar to what I did. See here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/album.php?albumid=10936
I did not like the way they labelled their price and quantity axes, they put them right where I was trying to write my P and Q points. :angry:
Also, does anyone know if there's some sort of rule for 100 UMS? Obviously it will change depending on grade boundaries, but is there any reasonably decent way of working it out?

figure out the difference between each grade bracket. so say from a B to an A is 5 marks apart then you add this number twice to the A grade. Adding it once gives 90% UMS then again for 100% UMS.

For example:
70% UMS (B) - 41 Marks
80% UMS (A) - 46 Marks
90% UMS - 51 Marks
100 UMS - 56 marks

hope this helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1789
Original post by mayhs98
The question was also asking for a price decrease in relation to the supply curve shifting to the left. That's why a lot of people puzzled by this.

Because the question asked for the effect of a fall in quantity supplied, therefore a shift to the left in the supply curve and a rise in price as a result, which reduces consumer surplus.

But why would you have a supply curve in consumer surplus? The only way I've ever drawn a diagram of consumer surplus is with a demand curve touching both price and quantity axises.
Reply 1790
Original post by Invest
figure out the difference between each grade bracket. so say from a B to an A is 5 marks apart then you add this number twice to the A grade. Adding it once gives 90% UMS then again for 100% UMS.

For example:
70% UMS (B) - 41 Marks
80% UMS (A) - 46 Marks
90% UMS - 51 Marks
100 UMS - 56 marks

hope this helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is perfect, thank you!
cuz youz get evaluation marks you rasklat
Reply 1792
Original post by Yousf
Could we also mention number of subisitues, as more subistues more elastic a product is?

Yes. I wrote about availability of substitutes (eg. wine is easily substitutable with other alcoholic beverages whilst rice is less easy to substitute) and necessity vs luxury (eg. rice tends to be a necessity so is likely to be price inelastic) :smile:
Original post by Yousf
What did people write for what makes the ped more elastic, i said number of subistues for one, and then i said some products are neccessities and people need them eg rice so are more inelastic than others

I mentioned necessities and desires, I also talked about proportion of income for example steak and salt etc
Reply 1794
Original post by aoxa
But why would you have a supply curve in consumer surplus? The only way I've ever drawn a diagram of consumer surplus is with a demand curve touching both price and quantity axises.

With consumer surplus diagrams, you need both curves to show the equilibrium price. The consumer surplus is then the area between the equilibrium price and the top of the demand curve (the top triangle if that makes sense). Without the supply curve, you wouldn't have the price.
Consumer-surplus.png
Reply 1795
Original post by Invest

For example:
70% UMS (B) - 41 Marks
80% UMS (A) - 46 Marks
90% UMS - 51 Marks
100 UMS - 56 marks

hope this helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's assuming each grade bracket is exactly 5 marks - the chances of that happening are very slim.
Original post by aoxa

I mean as long as you showed the consumer surplus on the demand curve making the old CS and new CS (two triangles) I guess that's fine but it did say in question that SUPPLY DECREASES so you know that's why a lot of people showed a shift in supply curve to the left....
Reply 1797
With consumer surplus diagrams, you need both curves to show the equilibrium price. The consumer surplus is then the area between the equilibrium price and the top of the demand curve (the top triangle if that makes sense). Without the supply curve, you wouldn't have the price.
Consumer-surplus.png

That's different to how I've been taught it, and different to how I've seen past consumer surplus questions on mark schemes, but I guess we've just got to hope for the best!
Original post by aoxa
That's assuming each grade bracket is exactly 5 marks - the chances of that happening are very slim.

They're usually equally spaced out like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coombsy
I took the January 2013 exam and the 18 mark question was on subsidies (however it did have a context). I got 18/18 so it may be useful to see if what you said was similar to what I did. See here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/album.php?albumid=10936

my answer was almost identical to yours however on my diagrams i wrote quantity demanded and not quantity , wghat do you think the outcome will be?

Quick Reply

Latest