The Student Room Group

is it a good idea to take a levels?

Hi there guys, I come from Poland and I turn 20 this July. Even though I hold equal qualifications from my country I am thinking of doing A-levels because the grades from my exams are pretty low and with my current qualifications I can't apply for some med schools and if I study A levels then I will. Do you think it's a good idea to study A-levels? Is there any way I can prepare for them by attending college or am I too old? Do you think it's advisable to sit all A-levels in one year? Do you think it's possible to study for A-levels and work at the same time? Sorry for asking so many questions but frankly I am new to this whole thing.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by karzen
Hi there guys, I come from Poland and I turn 20 this July. Even though I hold equal qualifications from my country I am thinking of doing A-levels because the grades from my exams are pretty low and with my current qualifications I can't apply for some med schools and if I study A levels then I will. Do you think it's a good idea to study A-levels? Is there any way I can prepare for them by attending college or am I too old? Do you think it's advisable to sit all A-levels in one year? Do you think it's possible to study for A-levels and work at the same time? Sorry for asking so many questions but frankly I am new to this whole thing.

hi honey - it really depends on what your abilities are. if you want to go to med school , you need to get an A*AA at least to get into the top med schools , if not two A*s and higher. it's VERY competitive.

in response to your questions;
(1) If you think the A levels will help you get on the course you want to do, and you can handle the workload , go for it.
(2) You should probably attend a college but you could also teach it to yourself with a good textbook and past papers - I could have easily taught psychology and english A level to myself, and I basically did. Also, make use of TSR! People on here are smart and willing to help.
(3) No , not in one year - I think that's how you get not very good grades tbh :P It will be a lot less stressful for you if you split it across two like everyone else does in secondary school , else you're setting yourself up for a disadvantage
(4)Yes definitely - do you mean full time? If full time I think you will struggle, but part time definitely.
Reply 3
Original post by hotliketea
hi honey - it really depends on what your abilities are. if you want to go to med school , you need to get an A*AA at least to get into the top med schools , if not two A*s and higher. it's VERY competitive.

in response to your questions;
(1) If you think the A levels will help you get on the course you want to do, and you can handle the workload , go for it.
(2) You should probably attend a college but you could also teach it to yourself with a good textbook and past papers - I could have easily taught psychology and english A level to myself, and I basically did. Also, make use of TSR! People on here are smart and willing to help.
(3) No , not in one year - I think that's how you get not very good grades tbh :P It will be a lot less stressful for you if you split it across two like everyone else does in secondary school , else you're setting yourself up for a disadvantage
(4)Yes definitely - do you mean full time? If full time I think you will struggle, but part time definitely.

Thanks a lot, it's very helpful :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest