The Student Room Group

Vectors

Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 8.16.48 pm.png

I don't have a clue about how to even start this question, would anyone be able to help? Thanks :smile:
Original post by r3l3ntl3ss
Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 8.16.48 pm.png

I don't have a clue about how to even start this question, would anyone be able to help? Thanks :smile:

If a point lies on the intersection of both planes then it must satisfy both equations. Sub in (x,y,z) and solve.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
If a point lies on the intersection of both planes then it must satisfy both equations. Sub in (x,y,z) and solve.

I did the cross product of both of the direction vectors to get the direction vector of the line: (sin(2θ)00)\begin{pmatrix} sin(2\theta) \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}, and after subbing in I got to 2ysin(θ)=02y\sin(\theta) = 0.

Am I correct in saying the answer is λ(sin(2θ)00)\lambda\begin{pmatrix} sin(2\theta) \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}? It just seemed a bit odd.
I did the cross product of both of the direction vectors to get the direction vector of the line: (sin(2θ)00)\begin{pmatrix} sin(2\theta) \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix},

OK, that's useful - forgot about that

and after subbing in I got to 2ysin(θ)=02y\sin(\theta) = 0.

Not sure how you got that

Am I correct in saying the answer is λ(sin(2θ)00)\lambda\begin{pmatrix} sin(2\theta) \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}? It just seemed a bit odd.

That seems odd to me too, as that is a line through the origin, but the planes don't even necessarily go through the origin.
Reply 4
OK, that's useful - forgot about that

Not sure how you got that

That seems odd to me too, as that is a line through the origin, but the planes don't even necessarily go through the origin.

Since dd was the same in both planes, I just equated one to the other and it all cancelled out leaving 2ysin(θ)=02y\sin(\theta) = 0; i.e. ysin(θ)+zcos(θ)=ysin(θ)+zcos(θ)y\sin(\theta) + z\cos(\theta) = -y\sin(\theta) + z\cos(\theta). I just thought it may be more difficult than that since it was part of a question which was allocated 45% of the marks.
Since dd was the same in both planes, I just equated one to the other and it all cancelled out leaving 2ysin(θ)=02y\sin(\theta) = 0; i.e. ysin(θ)+zcos(θ)=ysin(θ)+zcos(θ)y\sin(\theta) + z\cos(\theta) = -y\sin(\theta) + z\cos(\theta). I just thought it may be more difficult than that since it was part of a question which was allocated 45% of the marks.

Yep, sorry, my brain is starting to go.

OK, ysinθ=0y\sin\theta = 0, so for sinθ0\sin\theta\not=0, we have y =0; but what about z? That's not zero.
Reply 6
Yep, sorry, my brain is starting to go.

OK, ysinθ=0y\sin\theta = 0, so for sinθ0\sin\theta\not=0, we have y =0; but what about z? That's not zero.

zz can be any value can't it, since LHS cancels out RHS?
zz can be any value can't it, since LHS cancels out RHS?

It may do in that equation, but not in the original equations of the planes.

Since theta is fixed, that can be reduced to

λ(100)\lambda\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}

for a different lambda of couse, and sin(2θ)0\sin(2\theta)\not=0

Note - this is the direction vector
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Since theta is fixed, that can be reduced to

λ(100)\lambda\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}

for a different lambda of couse, and sin(2θ)0\sin(2\theta)\not=0

Note - this is the direction vector

I see - the position vector is still confusing me a bit though; what were you implying in the previous post?
I see - the position vector is still confusing me a bit though; what were you implying in the previous post?

Substitute your value of x,y into the equation of the plane, what do you get for z?
Substitute your value of x,y into the equation of the plane, what do you get for z?

ah I see, z=dz = d haha. Thank you!
ah I see, z=dz = d haha. Thank you!

Seriously?!
Seriously?!

sorry - I'm really out of practice
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
sorry - I'm really out of practice

Please explain how you got z=dz=d from your equation.

You have:

ysinθ+zcosθ=dysin\theta + zcos\theta = d

Correct?

You've already said y=0y=0
Original post by Phichi
Please explain how you got z=dz=d from your equation.

You have:

ysinθ+zcosθ=dysin\theta + zcos\theta = d

Correct?

You've already said y=0y=0

yeah sorry I meant to say z=dcos(θ)z = \frac{d}{\cos(\theta)} - don't think I was thinking when I posted that

Quick Reply

Latest