The Student Room Group

G541 Psychology OCR EXAM TOMORROW

When asked about a 10 marker which talks about evaluating the reliability and validity of a study? what type of things specifically do I talk about? same with evaluating the validity or reliability of how the DV has been operationalised?

Scroll to see replies

Reliability
- Does it produce quantitative data?
-Does it have Mundane realism?
-Can it be replicated

Validity
Internal validity - Can we establish case and effect? So... is the IV causing the DV? We need to be sure there are no EV's. So it needs to be controlled/ lab etc.

External validity - is it eco valid?
-naturalistic
-Any chance of social desirability? (based on self report)
Original post by Sunnyftw
When asked about a 10 marker which talks about evaluating the reliability and validity of a study? what type of things specifically do I talk about? same with evaluating the validity or reliability of how the DV has been operationalised?

check my post ^^^ hope it helps?? :smile:
Original post by madelyneevans
check my post ^^^ hope it helps?? :smile:

Can anyone suggest a specific structure to ensure full 10 marks for example,
+ Reliability
- Reliability
+Validity
- Validity ?
6 hours to go. I'm nervous.
Original post by Craig1998
6 hours to go. I'm nervous.

Best of luck, you'll be fine! Make sure you've gone over everything :smile:
Original post by madelyneevans
Reliability
- Does it produce quantitative data?
-Does it have Mundane realism?
-Can it be replicated

Validity
Internal validity - Can we establish case and effect? So... is the IV causing the DV? We need to be sure there are no EV's. So it needs to be controlled/ lab etc.

External validity - is it eco valid?
-naturalistic
-Any chance of social desirability? (based on self report)

Mundane realism is to do with ecological validity not reliability. Reliability it just how standardised an experiment is to get consistent similar results.
omg guys! the exam was good except the question in section asking about the sampling method! i said opportunity sampling but apparently it was event? reply guys
Reply 8
Original post by Ashaaibrahim
omg guys! the exam was good except the question in section asking about the sampling method! i said opportunity sampling but apparently it was event? reply guys

I got event sampling because it was observational study. Is it right?
Yeah apparently arghhhhhh
The second last question was what would you change about your method still keeping it self report, something like that. What was the answer there?
Original post by Ashaaibrahim
Yeah apparently arghhhhhh
Reply 11
It was asking about how the sample was selected, so it would have been opportunity sampling because they used whoever was on the bus, I think.
Reply 12
Original post by hollyer
It was asking about how the sample was selected, so it would have been opportunity sampling because they used whoever was on the bus, I think.

Yeah I put opportunity- it seemed to also lead on to the next question nicely too (which is the one you're talking about)
The question was asking for the sampling method, it was an obervational study and there are only 2 sampling methods in observational study - time and event sampling.
Original post by Jakz007
aeah I put opportunity- it seemed to also lead on to the next question nicely too (which is the one you're talking about)
Reply 14
Original post by Bricktop
The question was asking for the sampling method, it was an obervational study and there are only 2 sampling methods in observational study - time and event sampling.

ohhhmeehhgawdddd.
I

I put opportunity sampling. Please don't tell me it's wrong
Reply 16
I wrote opportunity sample 😩
Reply 17
To be honest, they could give the mark for either. The sample of participants was selected with opportunity sampling, the data was sampled using event sampling. The question didn't seem clear on which it was asking so they may accept either.
I hope so because I don't want to lose 6 marks by talking about opportunity! But if it said method apparently that means event/time sampling and technique refers to opportunity?
Original post by Funeroonie
I hope so because I don't want to lose 6 marks by talking about opportunity! But if it said method apparently that means event/time sampling and technique refers to opportunity?

For the second last question what did you change about your method?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending