The Student Room Group

University and GCSE

Hey all!

I am thinking, do universities look at your English literature GCSE results if you're doing a science/medical course. Because I'm just wondering as GCSE English literature is one of the most hardest for me and I'm wondering if it will effect your university place.
Usually, most universities will expect at least a C in English for any course. I'd email your prospective university and ask, or check their entry requirements.
Which university are you applying to?
Reply 2
I don't know too much about medicine, but most universities care more about your a-level grades and your personal statement. Even if they do look at your GCSE Grades in great detail, they won't be too fussed about your English Literature grade, as it's not really relevant to what you want to study. As long as you get a C in Lit, you should be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by Kokomi-Chan
Usually, most universities will expect at least a C in English for any course. I'd email your prospective university and ask, or check their entry requirements.
Which university are you applying to?

As of now I'm still in highschool but my GCSES are now so I'm just wondering.
Reply 4
Original post by MegF
I don't know too much about medicine, but most universities care more about your a-level grades and your personal statement. Even if they do look at your GCSE Grades in great detail, they won't be too fussed about your English Literature grade, as it's not really relevant to what you want to study. As long as you get a C in Lit, you should be fine.

Yeah that's what a lot of people have said. I'm just hoping for a C or a B even. One of my teachers did say it is important as its a classical subject or something so it just really confused me...
Original post by Hasan_ali
Hey all!

I am thinking, do universities look at your English literature GCSE results if you're doing a science/medical course. Because I'm just wondering as GCSE English literature is one of the most hardest for me and I'm wondering if it will effect your university place.

For medicine GCSEs are really important- they are looked at and you really need at least a few A*'s to have a competitive application. A B/C in English Lit might be overlooked if the other grades are really strong as long as it isn't specified on the university website that a higher grade is needed or preferred. E.g. Birmingham says preference will be given to those with A*s in English, Maths and Science subjects.
A less competitive science degree e.g. Physics, Chemistry, Bio e.c.t and I don't think it would matter so much.
Reply 6
Original post by jelly1000
For medicine GCSEs are really important- they are looked at and you really need at least a few A*'s to have a competitive application. A B/C in English Lit might be overlooked if the other grades are really strong as long as it isn't specified on the university website that a higher grade is needed or preferred. E.g. Birmingham says preference will be given to those with A*s in English, Maths and Science subjects.
A less competitive science degree e.g. Physics, Chemistry, Bio e.c.t and I don't think it would matter so much.

Yeah that makes sense. I'm not doing medicine in university so that's okay. Biochemistry is probably gonna be one of my options though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending