The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
We signed Gabriel for £12m didnt we?

Imo Gabriel and Koscielny are both better than Cahill so we're not that far behind and if JT slips in the shower then they'd be in trouble. Much bigger difference between the quality of their wing backs to ours and obviously GK.

I don't know if Gabriel is better than Cahill I barely seen him much which is why I prefer a defender that is more recognized
Original post by SA-1
Wouldn't turn him down if he was offered at the right price (£30m tops IMO), but wouldn't want us to pay what he's rumoured price is.

Stats are good but honestly, he's been dire in big games and in that sense he won't really add too much to our side will he? We can score goals against lower sides already, and Giroud can pluck out a goal or two vs bigger opponents too. Two years ago I would have said differently but Giroud has improved massively and we don't really need to go out and spend big on a striker anymore.

Having said that, if Lacazette was offered to us, I would much rather have him than Cavani. He has 27 goals and 6 assists in 32 games, and is only 23. We need a striker more like him at Arsenal right now.

Cavani, especially at 28, would be an unnecessary and a very expensive luxury.

Cavani has scored 6 in 10 in the CL this year and his record stands at 29 in 45 in Europe, with 19 in 25 for Napoli where he was the main striker (and playing for an inferior side). Compare that to Giroud who's scored 7 in 21 in Europe, playing for a side who with respect get knocked out at R16 every year, playing European fodder. It's a pretty appalling record for a top 4 striker.

I can't stress enough how Cavani is 3 or 4 levels above Giroud, but if you don't want to accept that it's fine.
Original post by Depleted
Cavani has scored 6 in 10 in the CL this year and his record stands at 29 in 45 in Europe, with 19 in 25 for Napoli where he was the main striker (and playing for an inferior side). Compare that to Giroud who's scored 7 in 21 in Europe, playing for a side who with respect get knocked out at R16 every year, playing European fodder. It's a pretty appalling record for a top 4 striker.

I can't stress enough how Cavani is 3 or 4 levels above Giroud, but if you don't want to accept that it's fine.

Yeah but the ball actually sticks to Giroud and he has an all round game.

Ive watched PSG games where Cavani just goes missing completely and that for me is worse regardless of his abilities.He also seems to bottle big chances

Youve obviously got your world class strikers like Suarez/Aguero who finish any half chance ice cold and have unbelievable all round ability too, then youve got your the Zlatans, Costas, Lewandowskis and Benzemas who can be depended on to make the difference in big games and then below that youve for the Mandzukics and Girouds who huff and puff and add more than their goals suggest. Cavani is really belonging to none of these groups
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
Yet in all the big games he flops.

He scored in big games against Chelsea & Marseille
Original post by Zürich
Yeah but the ball actually sticks to Giroud and he has an all round game.

Ive watched PSG games where Cavani just goes missing completely and that for me is worse regardless of his abilities.He also seems to bottle big chances

Cos that's not a component on Giroud's game... As Al_94 said its a bit of an unfair tag anyway. Scored goals against City, Chelsea (x2) which come to living memory, fairly sure he scored in the cup final last year too.

You could easily adapt your style away from a target man, only thing Giroud has over Cavani is physicality anyway. You've got creative midfielders in abundance ffs, Cavani's movement and finishing would probably win you the league.

As for the edit well lol. Cavani is in the second tier of top strikers behind Suarez/Zlatan. Maybe a tiny bit below Lewa but he's top 6 strikers really.
(edited 8 years ago)
The Cavani hatred in England can be likened to the Zlatan hatred before Zlatan scored that brace against Arsenal and the 4 goals against the national team.
only thing Giroud has over Cavani is physicality anyway.

weed is haraam
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
weed is haraam

I meant in terms of what he could potentially bring to Arsenal, they could easily adapt style of play to remove the deficiencies he has. Anyways I can't remember the last time a club won the league with a lone striker who's as one dimensional as Olivier, so long may it continue.
Cos that's not a component on Giroud's game...

You could easily adapt your style away from a target man, only thing Giroud has over Cavani is physicality anyway. You've got creative midfielders in abundance ffs, Cavani's movement and finishing would probably win you the league.

We're not lacking movement any more with Sanchez.

What we lack is a striker who makes something from nothing. With Giroud it's all very formulaic, he'll get you goals if you play the ball to him in the right situation but he's obviously not going to do a Suarez or Aguero and skin 2 or 3 men or just curl one into the narrow gap at the far post. Giroud doesnt create his own chances basically or score half chances

Not sure Cavani really meets that description
I meant in terms of what he could potentially bring to Arsenal, they could easily adapt style of play to remove the deficiencies he has. Anyways I can't remember the last time a club won the league with a lone striker who's as one dimensional as Olivier, so long may it continue.

Cavani is easily more 'physical' than Giroud

Chelsea with Drogba or Utd with RVN
on to tonights game:

Not that it really matters that much any more overall

But if we want 2nd, and to keep close with the top, then we need to put in a good performance today

Our record against swansea since 2011: LDWWLLW

(before that we had not played them since 1983)

They really are a team that causes trouble for us, and 3 wins from 7 games has not been great.
Original post by Zürich

Reply 9593

Fair points. I would take Cavani at Arsenal, but only at a good price. We aren't in that situation where we despirately need goals because we get them from a lot of positions. So we don't really need to spend huge.

My point was with the system Arsenal play right now, it would make much more sense to invest in a 23 year whos stats this season have been equal to, if not better than a 28 year old - a 28 year old who would cost us a fortune.

Certainly capable of them but obviously not often enough, else PSG wouldnt be shifting him.

Strikers decline all the time. Chelsea thought they were getting the Torres of 2009 and Utd hoped they'd get Falcao 2012. Think Arsenal might get mugged off hoping Cavani is still the player he once was.
Cavani is easily more 'physical' than Giroud

Original post by Zürich
Chelsea with Drogba or Utd with RVN

Drogba wasn't one dimensional, fair play with Ruud but we always had other goalscoring strikers around and (maybe a little of a cop-out answer) but the game has developed

Original post by Zürich
We're not lacking movement any more with Sanchez.

What we lack is a striker who makes something from nothing. With Giroud it's all very formulaic, he'll get you goals if you play the ball to him in the right situation but he's obviously not going to do a Suarez or Aguero and skin 2 or 3 men or just curl one into the narrow gap at the far post. Giroud doesnt create his own chances basically or score half chances

Cavani is a predator ffs, guy makes defenders **** themselves anywhere within 25 yards.

To say he can't create his own goals or skin men is plain wrong. He can run channels, drift wide, hold the ball up and finish (crucial). Guy plays on the wing, why would he if he was incompetent everywhere bar the penalty area?
(edited 8 years ago)
man like Depleted acting like he watches PSG more than the two legs of their CL quarter final every season
Original post by Zürich
Certainly capable of them but obviously not often enough, else PSG wouldnt be shifting him.

Strikers decline all the time. Chelsea thought they were getting the Torres of 2009 and Utd hoped they'd get Falcao 2012. Think Arsenal might get mugged off hoping Cavani is still the player he once was.

I don't think PSG are shifting him. Zlatan is declining, he'll become the main man and he'll thrive once that shadow is no longer over him.

I don't really know if he's the right player for Arsenal, but you're wrongly playing down his qualities. He can do everything Giroud can do (this idea that he can't huff and puff is completely wrong btw, he's the embodiment of a team player, like most Uruguayans are), is not bad playing off a main striker, and is excellent when you build a team around him (as Napoli did, and saw him score record amounts of goals). He's a complete monster of a player, and scoring better off the wings than Reus, Bale and most vaunted wide forwards are. He'd be a definite upgrade on Giroud, doing everything Giroud does but better. Enough to win you the title? Maybe, idk, not sure if I want to go into statements like that. Financially doesn't make sense either I guess.
Original post by difeo
man like Depleted acting like he watches PSG more than the two legs of their CL quarter final every season

There was a thread a while back where I was bumming Cavani hard, think he's just regurgitating my words from there
Original post by al_94
He scored in big games against Chelsea & Marseille

Didn't see the Marseille game, but Cavani missed three or four chances against us in the first leg, missed an open goal, albeit a tight angle in the second leg; and squandered two brilliant chances in the second leg last year. If he'd scored one of them then we'd have needed 3 just to go to extra time and almost certainly would be out. He's a bottler tbh.

Latest