The Student Room Group

OCR F581 Markets in Action - 11 May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Stefan*
-Values are estimates and may be based on incorrect info, thereby may be liable to inaccuracies.
-Values change over time, and may well be wrong by the time of publication.
-Values assume ceteris paribus, when another variable factor, like weather, may change.
(3 on quality of values)
-Most businesses don't consider PES values, meaning that PES is not significant.
(1 on quality of PES itself)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I spoke about how farmers couldn't comprehnd the values, how they were in elastic and what that means and what farmers would then do
Original post by 09sandhua
I spoke about how farmers couldn't comprehnd the values, how they were in elastic and what that means and what farmers would then do

The first one is into L4 territory (sort of) but the others are analysis -the first three marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTEin*Stefan*;55661589]L3 is worth four marks overall.

The first two may be obtained by an explained diagram and/or the advantages of subsidies, and the latter two may be obtained by explaining how it actually corrects market failure. You only need two explained or three semi-explained points to unlock full marks for this question. If you thoroughly analysed it, then you surely got it.

I also added the fact that consumer surplus increases and the lower price may in turn encourage more consumption of the merit good -just as an added poi to.

You would not be expected to have a diagram, but I always use one because it saves a lot of unnecessary and lengthy wording. Not using one is perfectly fine if the theory required has been explained.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, yes I also acknowleged the impact on consumer surplus as well as the extension in demand due to the fall in price etc..

Also, in an 18 mark q like this, do you think it's really expected to analyse an alternative method in order to access the 16-18. Would it suffice to explicitally answer the question wih your opinion and then discuss long run effectiveness and other ideas etc to form a balanced argument.
I bivouacs expanded on it, didn't just leave it at that, but I was so happy to see the 18 mark question
Original post by Slenderman
Can someone tell me an example of a statement to make in a 18 marker to get into the levels?

L1
L2
L3 Band 1/2
L4

Just wondering see if I hit that criteria.

Definition
Subsidising merit goods
Diagram
Reference to cost of production falling
Right shift in supply
Price falls (p1 to p2)
Quantity rises (q1 to q2)
It could reduce the underconsumption of merit goods, more affordable, higher consumer surplus, more allocative efficient
Evaluation
Opportunity cost
PED
It may lead to inefficiency
Some goods have both positive and negative externalities, you could argue that some negative externalities could take place
HEYYYY please put me out of my misery - MY essay was not based on the case study instead it correcting the market failure of under consumed merit goods like fruit, veg and rice etc and how subsidies help to overcomethis...have i been capped??? i thought i wrote a perfect 18/18 essay until I heard about people writing about biofuels...
What did you guys right for the public good question (6 marks)?
Original post by Slenderman
Can someone tell me an example of a statement to make in a 18 marker to get into the levels?

L1
L2
L3 Band 1/2
L4

Just wondering see if I hit that criteria.

L1 -Definition of subsidies and market failure. (4 marks)

L2 - Application and/or examples. Application means what a subsidy does, basically, and examples are any subsidy that you can think of. (4 marks)

L3 Band 1 - Diagrammatic explanation of how subsidies work and affect the market. (2 marks)
L3 Band 2 - Diagrammatic or not explanation of how subsidies correct market failure (allocative efficiency, reduces under-production etc and other stuff like -increases consumer surplus. (2 marks)

L4 - Evaluation: opportunity cost, difficulty in measures the amount of the subsidy, comparisons with other policies etc. (4 marks)

EE - Judgment - basically answer the question in a conclusive manner. (2 marks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1928
For Q2, " Using D+S, eplain why price of agricultural goods could rise significantly ", could you have drawn both an increase in demand and decrease in supply on one diagram?
Original post by justfly
HEYYYY please put me out of my misery - MY essay was not based on the case study instead it correcting the market failure of under consumed merit goods like fruit, veg and rice etc and how subsidies help to overcomethis...have i been capped??? i thought i wrote a perfect 18/18 essay until I heard about people writing about biofuels...

same, mine was purely theory, it's never meant i've been capped on any past papers that various teachers have marked, i'm personally not worried, it's not like the question said 'with reference to the case study...'
Do you have to base your 18 marker off the case study? I've never done that before but my teachers always gave me marks like 10-16.
Original post by justfly

The question did not have any reference to agricultural goods, so idk why people are saying it did. Regardless of whether it did or didn't, you are still allowed to write the essay with reference to agricultural goods or without. They are both allowed :smile: I wrote mine without it haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justfly

It was not necessary to base it on the case. It said how subsidies to producers can reduce market failure, not "using the case study, discuss... "

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dayzh
For Q2, " Using D+S, eplain why price of agricultural goods could rise significantly ", could you have drawn both an increase in demand and decrease in supply on one diagram?

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was not necessary to base it on the case. It said how subsidies to producers can reduce market failure, not "using the case study, discuss... "

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the unofficial mark scheme for an increase in demand it says quantity would decrease, isnt that wrong?

"Shift demand right​* as there is a higher demand forsustainable energy and biofuel crops. This also causes anincrease in price and decrease in quantity. (that is not referringto rice/wheat production)"
Original post by justfly
On the unofficial mark scheme for an increase in demand it says quantity would decrease, isnt that wrong?

"Shift demand right​* as there is a higher demand forsustainable energy and biofuel crops. This also causes anincrease in price and decrease in quantity. (that is not referringto rice/wheat production)"

Which question are you referring to here? Haven't actually fully read the mark scheme yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which question are you referring to here? Haven't actually fully read the mark scheme yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the one where it asked about increasing price significantly on D/S supply diagram (question 2 I believe?)

surely an increase in demand means an increase price AND INCREASE IN QUANTITY NOT fall in quantity????
Original post by justfly
the one where it asked about increasing price significantly on D/S supply diagram (question 2 I believe?)

surely an increase in demand means an increase price AND INCREASE IN QUANTITY NOT fall in quantity????

Indeed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

and for the first question about allocative effieincy, could you say there is only limited water but unlimited needs for it for maize production, bio fuel etc???(forgot case study e.g)
Original post by justfly
and for the first question about allocative effieincy, could you say there is only limited water but unlimited needs for it for maize production, bio fuel etc???(forgot case study e.g)

You mean the economic problem I assume (not allocative efficiency).

You should specify that logic, since it was limited, producers had to make a choice on what to produce. If you did, it's 4 easy marks (with the addition of the definition of course).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending