(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Post the math question?
Reply 2
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Post the math question?

im trying god its hard first time posting an image ;'D
(edited 8 years ago)
Still can't see it? Would it be possible to write out?
Reply 4
Original post by footchemllab
Still can't see it? Would it be possible to write out?

ive done it now :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Post the math question?

Here ya go XD
Reply 6
i know its complex numbers but still i cant figure it out haha ive been out of the maths game for a year.. :'(
I didn't do maths at uni so I might be wrong! For the first part, can't you multiply it by (1+i(rt3))/(1+i(rt3)) to get 1/4 + ((rt3)/4)i

Sorry if that's not much help!
Then from there, we use Euler's formula as illustrated in this link http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/eulers-formula.html

We can then convert 1/4 + (rt3)/4 i into polar coordinaties, like re^io

So r would be rt( (1/4)^2 + ((rt3)/4)^2) which is 1/2.

Theta is tan^-1( rt3/4)/(1/4) which is exactly 60 degrees, so in radians is 1/3 pi radians.

So it would be 1/2 e^1/3 *pi*theta
Original post by gandanmo2
i know its complex numbers but still i cant figure it out haha ive been out of the maths game for a year.. :'(

Just realised I didn't quote you :tongue:, does my explanation look right/make sense?
Reply 10
I didn't do maths at uni so I might be wrong! For the first part, can't you multiply it by (1+i(rt3))/(1+i(rt3)) to get 1/4 + ((rt3)/4)i

Sorry if that's not much help!

im sucha numpty i just refreshed the page i thought this was twitter automatically refreshing

why would you times it by (1+i(rt3))/(1+i(rt3)??
im sucha numpty i just refreshed the page i thought this was twitter automatically refreshing

No problem :smile:

Basically, it allows us to remove the imaginary number from the denominator. We're effectively multiplying by 1 but making our equation more simplistic in doing so, allowing us to put it in the form required.

maths.jpg
Reply 13
No problem :smile:

Basically, it allows us to remove the imaginary number from the denominator. We're effectively multiplying by 1 but making our equation more simplistic in doing so, allowing us to put it in the form required.

would (1+i(rt3)) x the denominator (1-i(rt3)) and cancelling out to give us 1+ i^2 root3?
would (1+i(rt3)) x the denominator (1-i(rt3)) and cancelling out to give us 1+ i^2 root3?

Can you see the pic I attached above? I wrote it down on there, if you can read my pretty appalling writing :tongue:
Reply 15
Can you see the pic I attached above? I wrote it down on there, if you can read my pretty appalling writing :tongue:

Oh got it! yeah you utter badass! thanks bro! any help with part B (not A2) :biggrin:
Oh got it! yeah you utter badass! thanks bro! any help with part B (not A2) :biggrin:

No problem :smile: I can't see a part B though?
Reply 17
No problem :smile: I can't see a part B though?

crap. my bad i meant part 2
crap. my bad i meant part 2

I'm not a fan of proofs so this video can explain it better than me :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNKfW8Am36M
Reply 19
I'm not a fan of proofs so this video can explain it better than me :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNKfW8Am36M

thanks so much :biggrin:
honestly means alot!

Quick Reply