The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Certainly capable of them but obviously not often enough, else PSG wouldnt be shifting him.

Strikers decline all the time. Chelsea thought they were getting the Torres of 2009 and Utd hoped they'd get Falcao 2012. Think Arsenal might get mugged off hoping Cavani is still the player he once was.

Cavani hasn't had a bad or recurring injury like Falcao had with his ACL, or Torres his knees, Cavani hasn't had either. Bare in mind the league he dominated is arguably the weakest of the elite tier in Europe, where players like Cuadrado and Salah have been standout's, and it's possible to conclude that Cavani isn't actually that good.
PSG would want £40m+ for Cavani, that's not worth it. Lacazette would probably be around £32m, we should go after him with everything we have got. Wenger needs to send a delegation of Sanogo, Giroud, Debuchy, Koscielny, Flamini, Diaby, and Coquelin over.
Original post by The Shed End
Cavani hasn't had a bad or recurring injury like Falcao had with his ACL, or Torres his knees, Cavani hasn't had either. Bare in mind the league he dominated is arguably the weakest of the elite tier in Europe, where players like Cuadrado and Salah have been standout's, and it's possible to conclude that Cavani isn't actually that good.

Not to mention Luca Toni, a literal ent who still manages to be one of the top scorers every single year.

That's another worry. Players who stand out in Serie A never seem to do well in England really. Even Balotelli was beasting it last season for a time

This is probably the most fair argument, considering Gervinho too is a standout there.
He'll cost over £40mill+ and his performances at the top level do not justify that price tag. Not to mention his age. If he paid off then it could be a quality transfer but are you willing to take the risk?
Would like to see how he plays in the PL though.
Original post by Arkasia
PSG would want £40m+ for Cavani, that's not worth it. Lacazette would probably be around £32m, we should go after him with everything we have got. Wenger needs to send a delegation of Sanogo, Giroud, Debuchy, Koscielny, Flamini, Diaby, and Coquelin over.

Yer we can book a return ticket from Kings Cross on the Eurostar, Flamini can take the one over and resume his career as a disagreeable Parisian waiter while Lacazette can take the ticket back.

Tbf Arsenal do have an inherent advantage with French footballers because of Wenger. French people have told me the club has a certain charisma over there.
Original post by AliRizzo
This is probably the most fair argument, considering Gervinho too is a standout there.

Acquillani, Shevchenko, Balotelli, Veron, Lamela, Rossi etc etc. Not long ago Flamini was at the heart of a title winning AC Milan side FFS

Italians are up there with Brazilians in terms of hype signings

You're forgetting that the Italian league is probably the hardest to score in. And no it isn't the weakest elite tier considering the champions are one game away from the CL final, baffling argument. Roma/Lazio/Napoli would challenge for top 4 here too.
Original post by Arkasia

Lazcazette could be a one season wonder there's nothing special about him.
Original post by Depleted
You're forgetting that the Italian league is probably the hardest to score in. And no it isn't the weakest elite tier considering the champions are one game away from the CL final, baffling argument. Roma/Lazio/Napoli would challenge for top 4 here too.

This is not a logical arguement, Juventus are clearly a different class to the rest of Serie A.

Also to say that the Italian League is the hardest to score implies that opposition defenders are somehow better when in fact its more likely that both teams just play more tactically and conservatively. Once you get into the box, attacking play is the same everywhere and goalscoring depends on the quality of CBs mainly. And some strikers find Italy easier, it's debatable whether Zlatan would take to the pace of the PL for instance. The likes of Shevchenko certainly didnt

And none of those 3 would come close to challenging for the top4 here. In fact Lazio would probably struggle for a top10 finish.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
This is not a logical arguement, Juventus are clearly a different class to the rest of Serie A.

Also to say that the Italian League is the hardest to score implies that opposition defenders are somehow better when in fact its more likely that both teams just play more tactically and conservatively. Once you get into the box, attacking play is the same everywhere and goalscoring depends on the quality of CBs mainly.

And none of those 3 would come close to challenging for the top4 here. In fact Lazio would probably struggle for a top10 finish.

It's the same thing. Teams are more conservative, so strikers get less chances to score, so regardless of whether the CB's are of a higher level or not law of average dictates that they have fewer goal scoring opportunities than PL strikers.

Juve are a different class but so are Real/Barça (relatively speaking, Atléti are up there and maybe Valencia) because they are great teams, it doesn't make the PL a better standard because our top clubs are ****. Would teams like Sociedad, Sevilla not beat Everton/Spurs? So a runaway leader isn't representative of the quality of the league majority of the time (bar **** leagues like the SPL ffs).
Original post by Zürich
This is not a logical arguement, Juventus are clearly a different class to the rest of Serie A

Also we're not talking about current Serie A, but Serie A 2-4 years ago where there was no Italian team challenging for the CL
Original post by Zürich

Also to say that the Italian League is the hardest to score implies that opposition defenders are somehow better when in fact its more likely that both teams just play more tactically and conservatively. Once you get into the box, attacking play is the same everywhere and goalscoring depends on the quality of CBs mainly. And some strikers find Italy easier, it's debatable whether Zlatan would take to the pace of the PL for instance. The likes of Shevchenko certainly didnt

This argument that the PL is some kind of special league is a joke to me. The PL is not a hard league at all for attacking players they've come here from La Liga and they've all impressed. Maybe at one time the PL was a difficult league but those days are gone the quality has dropped considerably.
Original post by Zürich
Yer we can book a return ticket from Kings Cross on the Eurostar, Flamini can take the one over and resume his career as a disagreeable Parisian waiter while Lacazette can take the ticket back.

Tbf Arsenal do have an inherent advantage with French footballers because of Wenger. French people have told me the club has a certain charisma over there.

Yeah Wenger is the guy you want in charge if you're trying to get a Frenchie.

Original post by al_94

So could Kane, what's your point? Lacazette could be a one season wonder, or he could be a 30-goal-a-season striker for us. Considering our current backup is Dat Guy, I think we should risk it.
Original post by Arkasia

So could Kane, what's your point? Lacazette could be a one season wonder, or he could be a 30-goal-a-season striker for us. Considering our current backup is Dat Guy, I think we should risk it.

You favour him over Cavani & Higuain but they are proven over the seasons that they can score goals in different leagues.
Original post by al_94
You favour him over Cavani & Higuain but they are proven over the seasons that they can score goals in different leagues.

I favour him over Cavani simply because he is 5 years younger, and his price tag is probably considerably less. No-one ever mentioned Higuain, and I would love to get him.
Original post by Arkasia
I favour him over Cavani simply because he is 5 years younger, and his price tag is probably considerably less. No-one ever mentioned Higuain, and I would love to get him.

Higuain is 4 years younger (vs 5 for Cavani), and Lacazette would cost considerably less than Gonzalo too...
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Higuain is 4 years younger (vs 5 for Cavani), and Lacazette would cost considerably less than Gonzalo too...

I know, I said I'd love to get him, not that I'd favour him over Laca. Another one to throw into the mix is J. Martinez.
Original post by al_94

Actually, it's pretty unlikely.

Lacazette is a youth prodigy that scored heavily both nationally, and internationally in age group football, on the world stage. The first I heard of him was when he scored a winner for France in a world/euros, my vested interest was in Pacheco who played for Liverpool, and Spain (France's opposition in the final). He then took some time to adapt to senior football (both physically and in speed of thought), but then hit 22 in 54 at the age of 22, which is a pretty typical break out age. And then he's progressed to hitting in 31 in 38 this season. Now of those 22, 1 was a penalty, and there's 8 penalties this season (perhaps more in cups, but I cba to find the stats, really). But 23 in 38 is still damned impressive.

So all in all he's showing a pretty typical youth prodigy to senior star progression, just like Ramsey, Bale etc have followed, and he seems a great bet to have score a lot of goals for the rest of this decade.

Latest