The Student Room Group

OCR Religious Studies - Lets make a booklet/mark scheme!

Im sure were all interested in how we did. However, there is no real way for us to remember all the questions which were on the paper to compare. So... lets make a answer/question booklet!

There were 6 sections (assuming we are all doing the Christianity paper):
Human relationships, Medical Ethics, Poverty + Wealth, Responsibility for the planet, War + Peace and Prejudice + Equality.

Lets go!
Reply 1
(Original post by Palette)
How do you think you did in general.

I'll reproduce the exam papers.
A. Relationships

a) What is divorce? (I wrote, the 'legal dissolution of a marriage', not being entirely sure whether I even knew what 'dissolution' meant in this context.)

b) Write two things which are said or done in a Christian wedding ceremony. (I wrote about the wedding ring and 'until death us do part'- Catholics and formerly Anglicans believe that a marriage cannot be broken by any earthly power

c) Describe one Christian view on civil partnerships. (Took me a while to figure out that civil partnerships are only used to describe legal (but not marital) recognition of a same sex couple by the state. Talked about how Catholics traditionally view homosexual acts as immoral- 'They are to be put to death'--- I accidentally quoted it as Exodus 20 when it was Leviticus 20. I then talked about how Paul could not condemn private homosexual feelings but stated that as homosexual acts are forbidden, homosexuals are required to be celibate. Therefore the Roman Catholic Church has traditionally opposed recognition of same sex couples).

d) Explain how Christian views are reflected in marriage. (I talked about procreative and unitive functions of marriage.

e) 'It is wrong to use contraception in marriage'. I think I did rather well, although I spent too much time on 'some Catholics think that contraception is just another form of abortion'.

B. Medical ethics.

a) What is fertility treatment? (Treatment done to increase the chance of a woman having a child... I was thinking about writing 'increasing the chance of pregnancy' but then I realised that surrogacy doesn't count under that definition).

b) State two reasons why a Christian may want an abortion.(I wrote in the case of rape or if the child poses a threat to existing children)

c) Describe one Christian attitude to human cloning. (I wrote some stuff about Catholics objecting to embryonic cloning as it may involve destroying spare embryos which is murder as personhood begins at conception--- I had no real clue).

d) Explain the views of some Christians on euthanasia. (I wrote and compared the Roman Catholic and Anglican positions- I didn't have enough time to include a Quaker view, and made a scruffy example/application).

e) Humans have every right to test on animals. Discuss. (I made my own view on the spot, and said that Peter Singer's view on primates (they shouldn't be experimented even if the research can save many human lives) violates utilitarianism. Not convincing. )

C. War and peace, justice

a) Can't remember.

b) Give two forms of punishment designed to stop others committing crimes (I wrote retributive and deterrent justice without explaining- will this get me the marks?)

c) Give three reasons why Christians may go to war. (I said to stop persecution of innocent civilians, of fellow Christians, and to defend their country (and freedom to worship) if attacked. I think the first two count as one mark).

d) Explain why some Christians view justice as important. (Talked about Luke 14 and the parable of the good Samaritan- I don't know about whether it applies fully... then I talked about people who followed Christ's example such as MLK...)

e) 'Christians should be pacifists in all situations' (I got full marks in an essay asking pretty much the same thing, so I should be fine here).

D.

a) What word means 'judging someone on account of their gender' ( I wrote 'sexism)

b) Can't remember.

c) Describe one way Christians have fought for equality. (Talked about MLK and peaceful demonstrations, non violent methods to end segegration)

d) Describe Christian attitudes regarding accepting new members.

e) 'Christians should not treat everyone equally' (Didn't have time to finish this one. **** it.)

Thanks to Palette for this!
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
(Original post by Palette)
How do you think you did in general.

C. War and peace, justice

a) Can't remember.

That one was "what is justice?"
Reply 3
Anyone remember Ethics 2 Question 8B.
It is someone to do with equality and asks for two reasons of something, but I forgot now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending