The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arkasia
I know, I said I'd love to get him, not that I'd favour him over Laca. Another one to throw into the mix is J. Martinez.

Seems a bit of a semantic cop out from you but meh. I wouldn't go near Jackson, personally.
Just invest in Reus and Vidal tbh
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Seems a bit of a semantic cop out from you but meh. I wouldn't go near Jackson, personally.

Oh well, I just didn't type my comment out properly the first time, sorry. Why not? I know he hasn't really been tested in one of the big four leagues, but his record for Porto is great? The only reason I wouldn't buy him is the possible price tag. He won't be cheap.
Original post by Stefano93

Reus' pricetag alone would cause Wenger to have a heart attack. Throw Vidal in and Wenger would just collapse on the spot. That being said, I would love for us to sign them.
Marco Reus would sell for about £45m probably

Doable but we've never signed players like him who are in demand from all the big clubs. Fending off Juventus for Alexis Sanchez was about all we've ever done in that department
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Arkasia
Oh well, I just didn't type my comment out properly the first time, sorry. Why not? I know he hasn't really been tested in one of the big four leagues, but his record for Porto is great? The only reason I wouldn't buy him is the possible price tag. He won't be cheap.

Old, big price tag, never played in a big league, not much to him other than goalscoring. Has failure written all over it.
Reply 9626
Original post by Stefano93

Don't think we need a b2b player, especially with Ramsey in the team, rather a traditional dm, maybe Schneiderlin/Kondogbia
Actually, it's pretty unlikely.

Lacazette is a youth prodigy that scored heavily both nationally, and internationally in age group football, on the world stage. The first I heard of him was when he scored a winner for France in a world/euros, my vested interest was in Pacheco who played for Liverpool, and Spain (France's opposition in the final). He then took some time to adapt to senior football (both physically and in speed of thought), but then hit 22 in 54 at the age of 22, which is a pretty typical break out age. And then he's progressed to hitting in 31 in 38 this season. Now of those 22, 1 was a penalty, and there's 8 penalties this season (perhaps more in cups, but I cba to find the stats, really). But 23 in 38 is still damned impressive.

So all in all he's showing a pretty typical youth prodigy to senior star progression, just like Ramsey, Bale etc have followed, and he seems a great bet to have score a lot of goals for the rest of this decade.

He aint no prodigy that is like Messi, Neymar, Gotze.There aint nothing special about him at all. He's got a good record but that doesn't mean he will do it again there's been players who have not lived up to expectation many times before.
Original post by al_94
He aint no prodigy that is like Messi, Neymar, Gotze.There aint nothing special about him at all. He's got a good record but that doesn't mean he will do it again there's been players who have not lived up to expectation many times before.

And that's what you said before too, and I demonstrated to you why there is a great chance that Lacazette will repeat his success.

Sure it's not nailed on, but then again Alexis, Bale and other WC players aren't nailed on to perform as WC players next season either. Nothing is nailed on in football, but Lacazette is as good an investment (ignoring the transfer fee) as any.
Original post by al_94
This argument that the PL is some kind of special league is a joke to me. The PL is not a hard league at all for attacking players they've come here from La Liga and they've all impressed. Maybe at one time the PL was a difficult league but those days are gone the quality has dropped considerably.

Because for every Hazard/Sanchez/Mata you get a Di Maria/Shevchenko/Cuadrado.
ffs Ramsey starting, bloke needs to be rested for the cup final.
Reply 9631
Thank god for Bellerin, perhaps he'll do a better job of dealing with Monteros pace than Chambers did...
Old, big price tag, never played in a big league, not much to him other than goalscoring. Has failure written all over it.

Fair enough, all of those are more than valid reasons.
And that's what you said before too, and I demonstrated to you why there is a great chance that Lacazette will repeat his success.

Sure it's not nailed on, but then again Alexis, Bale and other WC players aren't nailed on to perform as WC players next season either. Nothing is nailed on in football, but Lacazette is as good an investment (ignoring the transfer fee) as any.

Alexis was in Udinese where he scored 4 goals vs Palermo that's where he made his name. After he went to Barca and struggled a bit in the first 2 seasons but in his third he scored 19 in 34 games in La Liga including against Atletico and Real Madrid. They are hyping him as the next big thing he could be I don't know but depends on his price tag I would take Cavani at the same price over him.
Reply 9634

Drogba would't agree, although i do agree he would't be the right option for us
Original post by The Shed End
Because for every Hazard/Sanchez/Mata you get a Di Maria/Shevchenko/Cuadrado.

Why you including Shevchenko that was years ago? Di Maria is WC Van Gaal doesn't know how to utilize him. Cuadrado I don't know much about.
Original post by al_94
Alexis was in Udinese where he scored 4 goals vs Palermo that's where he made his name. After he went to Barca and struggled a bit in the first 2 seasons but in his third he scored 19 in 34 games in La Liga including against Atletico and Real Madrid. They are hyping him as the next big thing he could be I don't know but depends on his price tag I would take Cavani at the same price over him.

None of that is relevant to what I said.

Lacazette is a great bet to score consistently over the next half decade, and it's silly to bring out nonsense arguments like 'he could be a one season wonder'.
Original post by Arkasia
Reus' pricetag alone would cause Wenger to have a heart attack. Throw Vidal in and Wenger would just collapse on the spot. That being said, I would love for us to sign them.

I'd shift off Campbell,Podolski,Flamini,Welbeck in order to fund a move for Reus & Vidal, would be highly tempted about Theo and Jack aswell.

However, knowing our luck we'll sign a Polish 15yo kid dubbed the world's next biggest star.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bigAH
Drogba would't agree, although i do agree he would't be the right option for us

Drogba wasn't old though, in footballing terms he was very young. And he wasn't a pure goalscorer either, he's a brute of a man.
None of that is relevant to what I said.

Lacazette is a great bet to score consistently over the next half decade, and it's silly to bring out nonsense arguments like 'he could be a one season wonder'.

That's not my argument fool. Mine is that Cavani is better. You don't have to agree that's your opinion.

Latest