The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Emily.HQ
Hiiii.
I was wondering if there's anyone here contemplating to apply to Riga Stradins University for the September admission 2015? I'm considering to study medicine there. Thankful for answers.
Cheers, Em.

Wow, I didn't realise they had medicine courses in English... Latvia's interesting and so are the people! If I'd known about this, I might've considered ages ago when I didn't get accepted to med school the first time around.

At what stage of applying are you right now (A-levels, gap year, etc.)?
Reply 2
Original post by 9910224
Wow, I didn't realise they had medicine courses in English... Latvia's interesting and so are the people! If I'd known about this, I might've considered ages ago when I didn't get accepted to med school the first time around.

At what stage of applying are you right now (A-levels, gap year, etc.)?

Hi there! I'm doing my A-levels at the moment, but I should probably mention that I live in Sweden and therefore have Swedish grades as well. I'm not so keen on the idea of gap years, so I want to start uni after the summer holidays.

You said that you didn't get accepted to med-school in the uk the first time you applied. So I'm guessing you got accepted at a later occasion and are studying medicine at the moment? Xx
Reply 3
Hi there! I'm doing my A-levels at the moment, but I should probably mention that I live in Sweden and therefore have Swedish grades as well. I'm not so keen on the idea of gap years, so I want to start uni after the summer holidays.

You said that you didn't get accepted to med-school in the uk the first time you applied. So I'm guessing you got accepted at a later occasion and are studying medicine at the moment? Xx

Oh, awesome! I was under the impression that Sweden had a great healthcare system, so I'm curious - why the UK? (I presume you've applied for September 2015 entry in the UK already?)

Yeah, I got accepted earlier this year and I'm starting this September, so not quite studying medicine yet... Took two years out of education, though.
Reply 4
Original post by 9910224
Oh, awesome! I was under the impression that Sweden had a great healthcare system, so I'm curious - why the UK? (I presume you've applied for September 2015 entry in the UK already?)Yeah, I got accepted earlier this year and I'm starting this September, so not quite studying medicine yet... Took two years out of education, though.

Yeah Sweden has got a great healthcare system, but I have always loved the uk. Unfortunately the way the government organised our education kind of killed my chances of getting accepted in any British medical schools. See, we can't choose three or four subjects to take our A-levels on like you guys can. Swedish students are pretty much forced to take every subject there is. To make our knowledge as broad as possible. A great idea in theory. Not so good if you suck at history. So I thought Latvia would be alright. It was actually an organisation for studies abroad that recommended RSU to me, and since the education is in English I went for it.

Too bad that you missed out on two years during which you could have been studying, but hey at least you've reached your goal now, right? And congratulations :smile: would you mind me asking what A-levels you did and what you got? If you don't feel like answering its fine, I'm just curious. X
Reply 5
Oh, damn, that is a tough system. I guess it's great if you're inclined to being a "Renaissance" person, but not really good for the majority of people... What's the criteria for Swedish qualifications when applying to UK medical schools?

Yeah, I've really missed the feel of being in a classroom and learning things, but I can't really say it's been a waste. It's been an education, but of a different kind from university. If anything, it might've prepared me better for the whole thing - university and working in healthcare...

I did biology (A*), chemistry (A), French (A) and philosophy (A).
Reply 6
Original post by 9910224
Oh, damn, that is a tough system. I guess it's great if you're inclined to being a "Renaissance" person, but not really good for the majority of people... What's the criteria for Swedish qualifications when applying to UK medical schools?

Yeah, I've really missed the feel of being in a classroom and learning things, but I can't really say it's been a waste. It's been an education, but of a different kind from university. If anything, it might've prepared me better for the whole thing - university and working in healthcare...

I did biology (A*), chemistry (A), French (A) and philosophy (A).

You need the highest grade (A) in every subject. So you really can't afford to have a weak subject. At all.

But it's good that you didn't waste your time away from school. It will probably be an asset for you to have worked in healthcare already.

But then we'll be starting med school at the same time!
Reply 7
Let's hope so! Good luck with your applications! :h:
Reply 8
Original post by 9910224
Let's hope so! Good luck with your applications! :h:

You too! Let me know if things work out! Xx
Reply 9
I got accepted in for September 2015 ! So happy ,a friend of mine is over there already and she loves it. Are you coming in September?
Reply 10
Original post by medlover
I got accepted in for September 2015 ! So happy ,a friend of mine is over there already and she loves it. Are you coming in September?

Me too! I got my acceptance letter last month. How nice to hear that your friend is enjoying it over there! I was there for an open day, and the place seemed nice and bright. Are you going to be there for the orientation week?
Reply 11
Me too! I got my acceptance letter last month. How nice to hear that your friend is enjoying it over there! I was there for an open day, and the place seemed nice and bright. Are you going to be there for the orientation week?

Yeah hopefully ! I just joined this to find any potential RSU Med Students :smile: PM me there

Hey Emily,
I am interested in studying medicine at Riga stradins, i am from sweden, i applied For the february 2016 start but i had to postpone to the september start due to the legalization Of the ssce certificate, i Will like some informations about the School and i hope you can be Of great help?
How easy is to get accepted? Does it require best grades in the sciences to get accepted? How is the teaching? How easy to get an apartment and what are their average monthly cost?
I apologise if i am causing any inconveniences
Reply 13
Original post by Johnkinyo
Hey Emily,
I am interested in studying medicine at Riga stradins, i am from sweden, i applied For the february 2016 start but i had to postpone to the september start due to the legalization Of the ssce certificate, i Will like some informations about the School and i hope you can be Of great help?
How easy is to get accepted? Does it require best grades in the sciences to get accepted? How is the teaching? How easy to get an apartment and what are their average monthly cost?
I apologise if i am causing any inconveniences

Hey there! No, don't worry, I'm always happy to help. Fast jag är också svensk jag antar att det blir lättare för oss båda att ta det svenska?

Ok, jag kan börja med att säga att jag inte gjorde något ssce prov, jag hade gjort ett Cambridge Advanced Examinations test i Engelska, vilket mitt gymnasium betalade för och jag fick ett A på, jag skickade det med min ansökan.

Om du har fler frågor är det bara att fråga sen, men jag tänker svara dina frågor i den ordning du ställt dem.

- Det är väldig lätt att bli antagen skulle jag säga. Jag antar att du har svenska gymnasiebetyg som du söker in med? om inte man läst typ estet med C eller mindre i betyg kommer man för det mesta komma in. Jag själv läste natur, jag hade behörighetsämnena redan. Mina betyg var lite över medelmåttiga, jag visste att jag garanterat skulle komma in i RSU. Men jag har en vän som läst samhäll, med lite sämre betyg och hon kom in, jag tror inte att det kommer vara några problem för dig heller med att bli antagen.

- Om du har C eller högre i alla NO-ämnen ska det bra.

- Att skaffa lägenhet är väldigt lätt här, inte alls som hemma i Sverige. Skriv till Riga Residence facebook, de har ett flertal studenthem ganska nära skolan (16 min med buss). Jag bor själv här. Tänk dock att det ligger lite åt slum-hållet. Finns en massa skumma människor som gör att man bör undvika att ut vid vissa tider dygnet.

-Ochhhhh nu kommer vi till skolan. Här har jag tyvärr bara negativa saker att säga. Undervisningens kvalitet är lite åt det sämre hållet. Man lyckas bara om man undervisar sig själv. Här har Youtube varit min bästa lärare, har bara gått de obligatiriska praktiska klasserna för närvaro. Föreläsningarna har jag skippat helt och hållet jag ändå inte förstår vad de säger. De har en himla tjock brytning, och det är bara ett fåtal lärare som besitter den kunskap i engelska som behövs om man ska undervisa elever. Med andra ord förstår man knappt vad gubbjävlarna säger.

Jag har sökt in i Sverige och blivit antagen, jag ska börja plugga därborta nu till VT-16.

Hoppas jag svarat dina frågor. Jag sa bara det som jag upplevt vara sant. Du kanske gillar stället. :smile:
Hej!
Kanon att vi kan förstå varandra bättre, tack för svaret, jag är glad att du nämnde att du komma att börja i Sverige, vad det lätt att bli antagen och vilket studie år kan man byta över till Sverige och vilka betygs nivå krävs för att bli antagen? Vad är hyran i snitt i Riga
Och vilka område kan man bo? Jag är ursprungligen från Nigeria och gjorde SSCE där men jag gör naturvetenskap basår Komvux i eskilstuna nu, jag blir färdig i May.
Tack för svaret
John
Reply 15
Original post by Johnkinyo
Hej!
Kanon att vi kan förstå varandra bättre, tack för svaret, jag är glad att du nämnde att du komma att börja i Sverige, vad det lätt att bli antagen och vilket studie år kan man byta över till Sverige och vilka betygs nivå krävs för att bli antagen? Vad är hyran i snitt i Riga
Och vilka område kan man bo? Jag är ursprungligen från Nigeria och gjorde SSCE där men jag gör naturvetenskap basår Komvux i eskilstuna nu, jag blir färdig i May.
Tack för svaret
John

(Writing in English because of the rules)
The thing is, that because I didn't like it here in Riga I applied for admission back in Sweden. I'm only on the first semester now, but ill be starting from the beginning again in Sweden.

I'm not gonna lie, it is pretty hard to move back to Sweden in the middle of your studies, but you could always work on the "Högskoleprovet" and apply with that. But just moving back is difficult like I said. You can do it in the third semester and the fifth, and maybe the ninth I think, but only 2-3 people get accepted each time.

Technically you just need to get pass on everything, grade doesn't matter since we only have pass/fail in Sweden.

You can live practically anywhere you want. I've got friends scattered all over Riga. The nicer areas are obviously a little more pricey. You'll get this info from the uni if you apply. Otherwise I'd say around 300 euros if you don't care about nice looks of the places.

Hope this helped!
Thank you For your reply, they are very imformative, from your own judgement, do you think it is possible For me to travel back to sweden every fridays and back to Riga every sundays in regards to the tremendous workload at School, how is the week schedule like? Especially fridays, i understand that the first year is mainly physics, chemistry, biology and anatomy? Is there anyway(internet, bookshops) that i can get old exam questions so i can practice and are the Exams written or oral?
My apologise if My questions are alot
Hey! I am considering applying to Riga Stardins University for Medicine for the year 2019. What is your opinion on this university?

Latest

Trending

Trending