The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm new to this thread and I'm enjoying reading about personality types. A friend in high school introduced me to it (she was also an INTJ) and from then I couldn't stop thinking about it. I don't know why but I just find it very interesting.

Original post by hockham jaynsaw
I'm ever suspicious of the online tests. You often see people typed one thing by them and then something different by the professional typists. Because MBTI takes Jungian typology and tries to make it accessible to the masses (in the form of a free, online test), a lot of it is based of behavioral typology rather than the cognitive functions Jung was actually describing. For instance, Judging in the MBTI is indicative of an affinity for rules, order, precision, etc. when the original meaning of 'J' in xxxJ was just to indicate which of the functions was extroverted. For instance, in ISFJ, Feeling is the extroverted function (since the feeling function is a judging function). In ENTP, Intuition is the extraverted function (because it ends in 'P':wink:.

You can take this a step further with the I/Exxx: Jung didn't mean for them to be associated with your sociability. That's unrelated to your functions. The introversion is supposed to denote the attitude of your first function. In the case of ISFJ, it's sensing. So you've got Si, Fe as the main two (then Ti and Ne). See? Works great when used properly xD Typology isn't so concerned with how you act but WHY you act that way.

Sorry I didn't quite understand what you're explaining and I'm quite curious about it. Do you mind explaining it to me? Thanks if you do :smile:
Original post by LauraMayden1
Sorry I didn't quite understand what you're explaining and I'm quite curious about it. Do you mind explaining it to me? Thanks if you do :smile:

I could write 3, maybe 4 essays here explaining different parts, but I'll try to give an incredibly brief review in the hope that I don't lose you in the process but you can still see what's going on.

When you take a MBTI test, you get assigned a 4 letter acronym which corresponds to a personality type. Most tests will tell you that, if you're an INTJ, you're a person who likes to keep to himself rather than socialize, is creative/imaginative, prefers rationality over ethics, and orderliness over spontaneity. The problem is, this is just scratching the surface and makes behavioral based assumptions, deviating away from what typology is really about. This is because Typology was started by a psychologist called Carl Jung, and was written in a style meant for other psychologists to read, but years later a mother and daughter, Myers-Briggs, took Jung's work, and made it accessible to the public by simplifying the work and making an easy test to find out your type.

When you look deeper into typology, you'll find that we describe 8 functions that describe your thought process and information metabolism: Broadly, they can be split into Judging and Perceiving: The Perceiving functions, Intuition and Sensing, are how we perceive or observe the world. Your Judging functions, Thinking and Feeling, are how we assimilate data in a coherent order -- it's how we reason with the data observed through the Perceiving functions.

Each function has an 'attitude', introverted and extroverted. Simply put, extroversion is an objective attitude, where your function perceives or judges the object (the thing you're processing) removed from the subject (you), introversion is a subjective attitude, where your function will perceive or judge in a way specific to you, forming a unique impression based on other data you've taken in before.

With thinking, feeling, sensing and intuition, and the attitudes introversion and extroversion, we have 8 functions that can be used in different combinations to most accurately describe your thought process:
The Judging Functions: Extroverted Thinking (Te), Introverted Thinking (Ti), Extroverted Feeling (Fe), Introverted Feeling (Fi), and;
The Perceiving Functions: Extroverted Sensing (Se), Introverted Sensing (Si), Extroverted Intuition (Ne), Introverted Intuition (Ni).

Now, when I look at INTJ, I don't see Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Judger anymore, because what it's actually describing is my functional makeup (Ni, Te, Fi, Se)*
The functions are far more useful at describing personalities than the dichotomies used in the MBTI tests, and are far more accurate because they don't stereotype in an useless way like Myers Briggs does. The introverted attitude has nothing to do with sociability, it just means that that person's primary mode of working with an object is to do so in their inner world, assimilating the object into himself. It's true that somebody with a primary introverted function, like introverted intuition for an INTJ, is more likely to not be sociable, because they are more comfortable as observers, but an INFJ, for instance, also has an introverted primary function and they are usually quite extroverted (because their functional makeup is Ni Fe Ti Se, and the Ni-Fe likes people systems, while my Ni-Te likes systems).

*To understand how you get from the 4 letter type to the 4 different functions, you follow quite a simple set of rules:
In the case of INTJ again, we learn from the letters that my main two functions are intuition and thinking (the letters in the middle), and that the judging function is the extroverted one (because the last letter is 'J' for judging), and lastly that my introverted function (which we then deduce will be intuition since my thinking is extroverted -- they are always opposite) is my primary function.

So the order is Ni, Te. Then you ask, well what about the other functions? Basically, the system takes two perceiving functions and two judging functions with opposite attitudes (one extroverted and one extroverted, or rational and irrational, or objective and subjective), and polarizes them -- meaning if Introverted Intuition is my strongest function, Extroverted Sensing is my weakest (you see that you're both judging functions?). Then we do the same with my Te. The opposing function is Introverted Feeling, and since Te is my second strongest, Fi is my second weakest. Thus, Ni, Te, Fi, Se.

Another example: The ESTP:
Sensing and Thinking
Perceiving function is extroverted, so Se
Means judging function is introverted, so Ti
Extroverted function is strongest so order is Se, Ti
Opposite of Se is Ni, so Se, Ti, ___ , Ni
Ti's opposing function is Fe, so Se, Ti, Fe, Ni

ENTJ:
Te, Ni, Se, Fi

ISFJ:
Si, Fe, Ti, Ne, etc.

I hope that was at least partially comprehensive.
http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/

This website gives pretty brief descriptions of each function. While the definition aren't perfect, they portray the idea well.
I could write 3, maybe 4 essays here explaining different parts, but I'll try to give an incredibly brief review in the hope that I don't lose you in the process but you can still see what's going on.

When you take a MBTI test, you get assigned a 4 letter acronym which corresponds to a personality type. Most tests will tell you that, if you're an INTJ, you're a person who likes to keep to himself rather than socialize, is creative/imaginative, prefers rationality over ethics, and orderliness over spontaneity. The problem is, this is just scratching the surface and makes behavioral based assumptions, deviating away from what typology is really about. This is because Typology was started by a psychologist called Carl Jung, and was written in a style meant for other psychologists to read, but years later a mother and daughter, Myers-Briggs, took Jung's work, and made it accessible to the public by simplifying the work and making an easy test to find out your type.

When you look deeper into typology, you'll find that we describe 8 functions that describe your thought process and information metabolism: Broadly, they can be split into Judging and Perceiving: The Perceiving functions, Intuition and Sensing, are how we perceive or observe the world. Your Judging functions, Thinking and Feeling, are how we assimilate data in a coherent order -- it's how we reason with the data observed through the Perceiving functions.

Each function has an 'attitude', introverted and extroverted. Simply put, extroversion is an objective attitude, where your function perceives or judges the object (the thing you're processing) removed from the subject (you), introversion is a subjective attitude, where your function will perceive or judge in a way specific to you, forming a unique impression based on other data you've taken in before.

With thinking, feeling, sensing and intuition, and the attitudes introversion and extroversion, we have 8 functions that can be used in different combinations to most accurately describe your thought process:
The Judging Functions: Extroverted Thinking (Te), Introverted Thinking (Ti), Extroverted Feeling (Fe), Introverted Feeling (Fi), and;
The Perceiving Functions: Extroverted Sensing (Se), Introverted Sensing (Si), Extroverted Intuition (Ne), Introverted Intuition (Ni).

Now, when I look at INTJ, I don't see Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Judger anymore, because what it's actually describing is my functional makeup (Ni, Te, Fi, Se)*
The functions are far more useful at describing personalities than the dichotomies used in the MBTI tests, and are far more accurate because they don't stereotype in an useless way like Myers Briggs does. The introverted attitude has nothing to do with sociability, it just means that that person's primary mode of working with an object is to do so in their inner world, assimilating the object into himself. It's true that somebody with a primary introverted function, like introverted intuition for an INTJ, is more likely to not be sociable, because they are more comfortable as observers, but an INFJ, for instance, also has an introverted primary function and they are usually quite extroverted (because their functional makeup is Ni Fe Ti Se, and the Ni-Fe likes people systems, while my Ni-Te likes systems).

*To understand how you get from the 4 letter type to the 4 different functions, you follow quite a simple set of rules:
In the case of INTJ again, we learn from the letters that my main two functions are intuition and thinking (the letters in the middle), and that the judging function is the extroverted one (because the last letter is 'J' for judging), and lastly that my introverted function (which we then deduce will be intuition since my thinking is extroverted -- they are always opposite) is my primary function.

So the order is Ni, Te. Then you ask, well what about the other functions? Basically, the system takes two perceiving functions and two judging functions with opposite attitudes (one extroverted and one extroverted, or rational and irrational, or objective and subjective), and polarizes them -- meaning if Introverted Intuition is my strongest function, Extroverted Sensing is my weakest (you see that you're both judging functions?). Then we do the same with my Te. The opposing function is Introverted Feeling, and since Te is my second strongest, Fi is my second weakest. Thus, Ni, Te, Fi, Se.

Another example: The ESTP:
Sensing and Thinking
Perceiving function is extroverted, so Se
Means judging function is introverted, so Ti
Extroverted function is strongest so order is Se, Ti
Opposite of Se is Ni, so Se, Ti, ___ , Ni
Ti's opposing function is Fe, so Se, Ti, Fe, Ni

ENTJ:
Te, Ni, Se, Fi

ISFJ:
Si, Fe, Ti, Ne, etc.

I hope that was at least partially comprehensive.

Partially comprehensive is the way to describe it! I also read another article about it, here's the link: http://mbtitoday.org/carl-jung-psychological-type/

What I don't understand is why your judging function is extroverted? So let me see if I've got this right, I'm an INTP so would my functions be Ni, Te, Fi, Se?
Partially comprehensive is the way to describe it! I also read another article about it, here's the link: http://mbtitoday.org/carl-jung-psychological-type/

What I don't understand is why your judging function is extroverted? So let me see if I've got this right, I'm an INTP so would my functions be Ni, Te, Fi, Se?

INTP's Perceiving function is extroverted, because it ends in 'P'.
So your function stack would be Ti, Ne, Si, Fe. The functional order you described is INTJ.

The site you linked has dodgy definitions about energy and introversion/extroversion, etc. Not good. It's more about objective/subjective than whether it energies you.

EDIT: The reason for WHY is extroverted or introverted is more difficult to explain. Generally, most people will read the function descriptions, figure out which is their primary function, then work out the rest from there.
(edited 8 years ago)
INTP's Perceiving function is extroverted, because it ends in 'P'.
So your function stack would be Ti, Ne, Si, Fe. The functional order you described is INTJ.

The site you linked has dodgy definitions about energy and introversion/extroversion, etc. Not good. It's more about objective/subjective than whether it energies you.

EDIT: The reason for WHY is extroverted or introverted is more difficult to explain. Generally, most people will read the function descriptions, figure out which is their primary function, then work out the rest from there.

Ok, definitely confused now. Is the last letter always extroverted? Because for INTJ you said the judging function was extroverted and for INTP you said the perceiving function was extroverted? When would it be introverted? Or is it the case that if the first letter is I (introverted) then the last one, whether P or J, would be extroverted, and vice versa?
Ok, definitely confused now. Is the last letter always extroverted? Because for INTJ you said the judging function was extroverted and for INTP you said the perceiving function was extroverted? When would it be introverted? Or is it the case that if the first letter is I (introverted) then the last one, whether P or J, would be extroverted, and vice versa?

XXXJ = Je (Extroverted Judging function)
XXXP = Pe (Extroverted Perceiving function)

Ixxx = Introverted Primary Function
Exxx = Extroverted Primary Function.

INTP.
Judging Function = Thinking
Perceiving Function = Intuition.
Pe (Perceiving Function Extroverted) = Ne, therefore Thinking is Introverted (Ti)
Ixxx = Introverted Function First = Ti, Ne, Si, Fe

ENTP
Pe (Perceiving Function Extroverted) = Ne, therefore Thinking is Introverted (Ti)
Exxx = Extroverted Function First = Ne, Ti, Fe, Si

INTJ
Je (Judging Function Extroverted) = Te, therefore Intuition is Introverted (Ni)
Ixxx = Introverted Function First = Ni, Te, Fi, Se

ENTJ
Exxx = Extroverted Function First = Te, Ni, Se, Fi
XXXJ = Je (Extroverted Judging function)
XXXP = Pe (Extroverted Perceiving function)

Ixxx = Introverted Primary Function
Exxx = Extroverted Primary Function.

INTP.
Ixxx = Introverted Function First = Ti, Ne, Si, Fe

ENTP
Exxx = Extroverted Function First = Ne, Ti, Fe, Si

INTJ
Ixxx = Introverted Function First = Ni, Te, Fi, Se

ENTJ
Exxx = Extroverted Function First = Te, Ni, Se, Fi

Ok I get it, so INTP would be Ti, Ne, Si, Fe ( which you've already told me but I just tried doing it myself lol) I see, interesting,thanks so much :colondollar:
Ok I get it, so INTP would be Ti, Ne, Si, Fe ( which you've already told me but I just tried doing it myself lol) I see, interesting,thanks so much :colondollar:

No problem. Please excuse my lack of clarity. Interestingly, it's a common manifestation of Ni: I understand it well but in a way other people probably find counter-intuitive. Ni is intense and convergent but it's also introverted and so has a lot of impressionistic input. Compare that with Ne which is broad, expanding, and divergent, and ultimately sees patterns in an objective way which is accessible to more people more readily.

You'll notice a lot of the community who explain it in a relaxed, easy-to-manage way are ENTP and INTP because the Ti-Ne combination makes it pleasant for people to read up as a hobby, and that the dissertation style posts are made by INTJ and INFJ.
What strange language has invaded our thread? :zomg: We do have a second thread specifically for off-topic chat, just so you know. :yes:

Original post by Red Fox
That episode of Fate UBW... (Part 2, episode 6)

Spoiler

Only just watched the episode this morning... either I'd forgotten his identity, or Studio DEEN's series didn't reveal it to begin with (haven't watched it in at least 5 years, so I can't be certain which). So that was a nice twist, though I also feel stupid for not working it out sooner. :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
What strange language has invaded our thread?

Says the Welshie... :lol:

Will stop derailing now, honest. :p:
No problem. Please excuse my lack of clarity. Interestingly, it's a common manifestation of Ni: I understand it well but in a way other people probably find counter-intuitive. Ni is intense and convergent but it's also introverted and so has a lot of impressionistic input. Compare that with Ne which is broad, expanding, and divergent, and ultimately sees patterns in an objective way which is accessible to more people more readily.

You'll notice a lot of the community who explain it in a relaxed, easy-to-manage way are ENTP and INTP because the Ti-Ne combination makes it pleasant for people to read up as a hobby, and that the dissertation style posts are made by INTJ and INFJ.

Yeah I know because my friend is INTJ and she used to try and explain things to me, and it would always go somewhat like the conversation we had. She would usually explain it to me in order for me to explain it to other people as, like you said, the combination of Introverted-Thinking and Extroverted-Intuition means we can express our ideas in a clearer way for most people.
What strange language has invaded our thread? :zomg: We do have a second thread specifically for off-topic chat, just so you know.

Sorry about that :colondollar:
What strange language has invaded our thread? :zomg: We do have a second thread specifically for off-topic chat, just so you know. :yes:

Only just watched the episode this morning... either I'd forgotten his identity, or Studio DEEN's series didn't reveal it to begin with (haven't watched it in at least 5 years, so I can't be certain which). So that was a nice twist, though I also feel stupid for not working it out sooner. :redface:

I did think it was odd that he had a bit of a fascination with that certain character but I shrugged it off. I'm generally pretty bad at figuring stuff like this out before it's revealed (at least it makes for more interesting plot twists).
Anyone here watched Bakuman? Any good?
Original post by Red Fox

The anime isn't great - the manga is much, much better. The anime unfortunately elected to place much more focus on the rather weak romance aspect of the series instead of the hot-blooded shounen manga writing side which made for rather dull viewing. As a fan of the manga the anime was a big disappointment (still haven't steeled myself to watch the 3rd season yet).
Original post by Red Fox

As someone who hasn't read the manga, I quite enjoyed it. Though as Cara says, the romance aspect is definitely less interesting than the manga creation.
Original post by caraniel
The anime isn't great - the manga is much, much better. The anime unfortunately elected to place much more focus on the rather weak romance aspect of the series instead of the hot-blooded shounen manga writing side which made for rather dull viewing. As a fan of the manga the anime was a big disappointment (still haven't steeled myself to watch the 3rd season yet).

As someone who hasn't read the manga, I quite enjoyed it. Though as Cara says, the romance aspect is definitely less interesting than the manga creation.

Cheers, I might just read the manga then.

Any good or bad opinions on any of these shows:
Cross Game
Hanasaku Iroha
Gosick
Katanagatari
Frustrated that I failed to take 10,000th in the 'Last Person to Post Here Wins' thread, but at least I managed to fill the last few pages with pics of Ana Gram. :p:

Original post by Red Fox

Cross Game - Fantastic, I'd highly recommend it. It may seem like I say that about virtually everything, but I liked this one enough to buy the manga afterwards (which is also good). :tongue: Highly rated, but so few people have seen it. :sadnod:

Hanasaku Iroha - I remember enjoying it when it was airing, but it's been a while and I don't recall much other than that. Very pretty animation, though!

Gosick - Haven't seen it, but it's on my want to watch list. I still think the name is a bit unfortunate. :giggle:

Katanagatari - Very stylish and very fun. Another one I'd recommend.
(edited 8 years ago)
I also feel like I say way more good about anime than I do bad; I think its because I try to avoid things that I know I won't like.. possibly the worst series I've watched was school days (Yup watched it all), it was when I was absolutely convinced if I start something I should finish it, even if a very bad choice. :tongue:

Original post by Red Fox

I'm like AJ in that I haven't read the manga, but the anime was pretty good for me also (in fact I enjoyed it quite a bit).

I thought the romance - although quite important to the story - was pretty peripheral in that I didn't have to see much of that because of the way the plot works out; maybe I'll have to read the manga since the shonen - get lost in your own fantasy world aspect - was pretty much what I loved about this show. :smile:

Original post by Red Fox
Cheers, I might just read the manga then.

Cross Game
Hanasaku Iroha
Gosick
Katanagatari

Cross game I'd recommend too - the others I haven't watched.
If you're into mystery then you might find go sick interesting; I really liked the setting and was pretty hooked by it from what I can remember. Also it starts a little slow but it turns out to be pretty awesome and it felt really engrossing, maybe I'm a sucker for 19th/18th century plots but it really draws one in.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending