The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Geography Unit 1 12th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Manexopi
Does anyone have an example of how the environmental impacts of globalisation can be addressed at a global, national and local scale?

Also sustainable mega cities. I still remember Curitiba from GCSEs but I don't think that's enough.

national/global scale is trading carbon credits - Kyoto protocol where countries cant go over certain emissions of co2, and they have to buy carbon credits from other countries if they go over.

local can be buying food with low air miles,
buying fair trade food
recycling and reusing materials

theres also stuff businesses can do:
state distance transported on products so consumers can choose to buy local stuff
using recycled materials like coca cola using recycled cans to make new cans :smile:
Does anyone have an example of how the environmental impacts of globalisation can be addressed at a global, national and local scale?

Also sustainable mega cities. I still remember Curitiba from GCSEs but I don't think that's enough.

for sustainable megacites there is LA, with the LA plan and clean tech corridor.
Reply 42
Original post by molly9711
for sustainable megacites there is LA, with the LA plan and clean tech corridor.

theres also dongtan in chongming island china near shanghai and masdar
im sure all the stuff they're doing is pretty similar you know like emission-free transport nd stuff
Original post by Azula
theres also dongtan in chongming island china near shanghai and masdar
im sure all the stuff they're doing is pretty similar you know like emission-free transport nd stuff

oh ofcourse, masdar. ive done this at A2!!
Reply 44
Original post by Azula
national/global scale is trading carbon credits - Kyoto protocol where countries cant go over certain emissions of co2, and they have to buy carbon credits from other countries if they go over.local can be buying food with low air miles,buying fair trade foodrecycling and reusing materialstheres also stuff businesses can do:state distance transported on products so consumers can choose to buy local stuffusing recycled materials like coca cola using recycled cans to make new cans :smile:

Ah thank you ive learned all that but I didn't know about the business bit so thanks ^^

Is that in the book? My friend also mentioned that one but we were given Lodon and Mumbai I'm lacking actually schemes :/
Ah thank you ive learned all that but I didn't know about the business bit so thanks ^^

Is that in the book? My friend also mentioned that one but we were given Lodon and Mumbai I'm lacking actually schemes :/

Mumbai is a good one, they have Vision Mumbai.

i think i learnt LA in class and i dont remember if its out the book as all my notes are condensed now.
Reply 46

-Global - Kyoto agreement
-National - Government targets, protection of green belt, creation of green space
-Local - maintenance and creation of parks, tree planting
Mumbai is a good one, they have Vision Mumbai.

i think i learnt LA in class and i dont remember if its out the book as all my notes are condensed now.

LA and Mumbai. But there was a 5 marker on megacities (I chose to do Mumbai and got 5/5) last year as you may remember. I am resitting this exam too. I got a D last year. I do know where I went wrong as I got my actual exam paper back. June 2014 paper i did question 9 in section B to do with TNC's and international organisations. I just wrote about TNC's and forgot completely to write about International organisations such as FDI, IMF, World bank etc. I got 8/15 on that and got 7/10 in the a) part of question 9. Lol think I was stressing too much.

Anyway, always remember to read the question and underline/highlight whatsoever. Define the words in the question. I think El Nino/La Nina may come up and I've tried to revise this a lot!

Also, California disaster hotspot may come up as Philippines came up last year? Any predictions from anyone? :confused:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AyeshaAK
LA and Mumbai. But there was a 5 marker on Mumbai last year as you may remember. I am resitting this exam too. I got a D last year. I do know where I went wrong as I got my actual exam paper back. June 2014 paper i did question 9 in section B to do with TNC's and international organisations. I just wrote about TNC's and forgot completely to write about International organisations such as FDI, IMF, World bank etc. I got 8/15 on that and got 7/10 in the a) part of question 9. Lol think I was stressing too much.

Anyway, always remember to read the question and underline/highlight whatsoever. Define the words in the question. I think El Nino/La Nina may come up and I've tried to revise this a lot!

Also, California disaster hotspot may come up as Philippines came up last year? Any predictions from anyone? :confused:

looks like we are in the same boat, i got a D last year, and did the same silly question at the end. hoping to be able to do the hazard one or if theres one on the arctic ill do that.
looks like we are in the same boat, i got a D last year, and did the same silly question at the end. hoping to be able to do the hazard one or if theres one on the arctic ill do that.

ITs clever to choose Arctic if you had any preparation for Unit 3 as the pre-release is on it this year :smile: Need to get a B atleast in this to get an A or B overall in Geography. So stressed. Guess there wont be any sleep tonight. yaaaas
ITs clever to choose Arctic if you had any preparation for Unit 3 as the pre-release is on it this year :smile: Need to get a B atleast in this to get an A or B overall in Geography. So stressed. Guess there wont be any sleep tonight. yaaaas

yeah same, and i picked tectonic hazards for unit 4 so feeling good with them i guess. im so worried about unit 3 and 4 exams, i think theyre solid. esp the amount they expect us to remember for unit 4??!?!?
yeah same, and i picked tectonic hazards for unit 4 so feeling good with them i guess. im so worried about unit 3 and 4 exams, i think theyre solid. esp the amount they expect us to remember for unit 4??!?!?

I did same and yeah. Hopefully the Unit 4 and unit 3 will help us tomorrow! :smile: Im trying to calm myself anyway. If you stress, you wont be able to grasp anything. have you got any predictions for questions in general? I feel like Megacities could even be a 10/15 marker.. What do you think? Cause they gave us a 5 marker on this last year.

Btw, Poland to UK migration did not appear in the exam last year!
Thinking ecological impacts of climate change in the Arctic may come up. So far I've got:
· Marine and land-based food web modifications
· Biome distributional change (i.e. plant, animal, soil)
o Fish = arctic char, animals = spruce beetle, caribou
· Habitat loss (e.g. sea ice loss in Arctic = polar bears)
· Treeline advance northwards means tundra is replaced by boreal forest.

Could someone help expand some of my points? Also what exactly is a biome distributional change and what are examples of marine/land-based food web modifications?
I did same and yeah. Hopefully the Unit 4 and unit 3 will help us tomorrow! :smile: Im trying to calm myself anyway. If you stress, you wont be able to grasp anything. have you got any predictions for questions in general? I feel like Megacities could even be a 10/15 marker.. What do you think? Cause they gave us a 5 marker on this last year.

Btw, Poland to UK migration did not appear in the exam last year!

i dont have a clue what could be on it, ive done all the past papers though. oh im pretty ok with poland to uk so fingers crossed. megacities is a funny one bc its hard to predict what they could ask about it
Does anybody have last years paper for unit 1 at all. I have looked everywhere and I can't find it at all.

Thanks
Original post by throwaway246
Does anybody have last years paper for unit 1 at all. I have looked everywhere and I can't find it at all.

Thanks

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Geography/2013/Exam%20materials/Question-paper-Unit-1-(6GE01)-June-2014.pdf
should be it
Original post by throwaway246

Thanks

it should be open on edexcel's page?
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Geography/2013/Exam%20materials/Question-paper-Unit-1-(6GE01)-June-2014.pdf (paper)

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Geography/2013/Exam%20materials/Mark-scheme-Unit-1-(6GE01)-June-2014.pdf (mark scheme)
I'd recommend reading the examiner report summaries from the last couple of years. In June 2012 there was "candidate insecurity with the topic of food insecurity" and in June 2013 they threw in "What is the meaning of food insecurity?" (multiple choice) and a 4-mark question on it.

Here are the past two (June '13 especially):
http://gyazo.com/2e77093672106c77beb7bf8dde1b5d3c
Original post by itsConnor_
I'd recommend reading the examiner report summaries from the last couple of years. In June 2012 there was "candidate insecurity with the topic of food insecurity" and in June 2013 they threw in "What is the meaning of food insecurity?" (multiple choice) and a 4-mark question on it.

Here are the past two (June '13 especially):
http://gyazo.com/2e77093672106c77beb7bf8dde1b5d3c

Thanks I'll take a look

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending