The Student Room Group

Do you think white people have advantages ?

Everyone always says your lucky and stuff. I don't think white people have advantages or anything in society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes they do.
Of course whites have advantages. This poster from one of the UK's main political parties proves that. http://i0.wp.com/national-liberation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Diane-Abbott.png
Reply 3
Straight, White Male checking in. I can confirm in the UK I am the bottom feeder.
Most of the so called "advantages" are actually caused by living in a white majority country. As soon as you go to a non-white majority country the "advantages" disappear.
Reply 5
I think it's an entirely double edged sword.

In some situations and scenarios being white has provided an advantage. Think politics, not many representations at the top outside of white males.

However with things like universities and front facing businesses, diversity is huge. Companies can potentially hire a less qualified person because of the background to show that their team or company isn't entirely white or male or whatever other stereotype they are trying to play down.

A close family friend is training to be in the police. She feels like she has had a much easier time than many of the men. Usually it would take 1-2 years of main service before you do the training to drive fast in pursuit. Because they don't have many woman doing it, she is likely to start this a few months in to to job after qualifications. I know my analogy is more based to gender, but using the police again they are in dire need of Asian representation.

Few years ago it was teachers, few before that was male primary teachers, coming soon: design and technology teachers. We have a shortage of those.
In many areas in the UK yes, people naturally still have that tribal instinct to favour 'their own kind.' Although as has been said some areas are trying to make it easier for non whites to get in.
Reply 7
I think the concept of 'white privilege' distracts from the overall issue of 'class privilege'. Poor white working class children have less of a chance at succeeding in life than their counterparts from different ethnicities.
Reply 8
It's all relative to your location.
Reply 9
Original post by TheBlackRose
Everyone always says your lucky and stuff. I don't think white people have advantages or anything in society

I've moved this to debate
As stated yes but it is a white majority country. However i personally don't really mind i quite like being the "underdog" #Roar

I think blacks are the most disadvantaged in society however it hasn't held other ethnic minorities (Jews) from excelling.

But tbh i think the current "mixed" nature of most the prosperous parts of the world, i don't think colour is the defining issue but I'm not naive enough to deny it all together.

Bill.
Yes they are
I don't care if they do. It makes no difference. I'm still going to clean their clock.
It is a "native" advantage, it just so happens that in the west the natives are white. Just as in say Japan or China the natives will have an advantage over non natives.
Reply 14
Original post by IamLiquid
Most of the so called "advantages" are actually caused by living in a white majority country. As soon as you go to a non-white majority country the "advantages" disappear.

What about this
http://behindthewall.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/15/11720584-in-china-english-teaching-is-a-whites-only-club?lite

http://www.vice.com/read/lazy-and-white-go-teach-in-china
Original post by bolly_mad
I don't care if they do. It makes no difference. I'm still going to clean their clock.

Make sure you get right in to the bit where the cuckoo comes out from, it's really dusty in there.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Make sure you get right in to the bit where the cuckoo comes out from, it's really dusty in there.

:dry:
Original post by TheBlackRose

Yes we do, white privilege is definitely real, although clearly not as pronounced as it was in the past.
Original post by Drunk Punx

Made me chuckle!
Reply 19
Thanks to the civil rights movements of the 20th century, any advantages that a 'privileged' person has over a 'non-privileged' person these days is situational (ie. having a racist or sexist boss) rather than institutional (ie. laws that restrict rights based on race or gender).
... yet followers of the privilege narratives still think it's okay to smear certain groups of people for "enabling oppression" when most of them don't. In fact, most people in the 'privileged' group don't actually have the power to punish these situational cases. The difference between privilege supporters and your average closet racist is that privilege supporters will point to historic cases of oppression as if to say that their hatred is justified because of it or as 'proof' that discrimination is still institutional (even though most of these cases predate the antidiscrimination legislation). Sorry but two wrongs don't make a right. By that logic, we should all sacrifice ourself to the animal kingdom for making the passenger pigeon extinct.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending