The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Great exam, well done everyone:biggrin:

I'm worried about the strength about the SS. I said that it has high mundane realism because the infants experience the events in real like e.g separation anxiety. Therefore high ecological validity, results can be generalised. Is this ok for two marks? Or did I get the whole thing wrong :s-smilie:
Original post by Eleanor303
I think it is a Laboratory study too?

I thought if they're not in natural environment and the researcher controlled the IV it was a lab?
Original post by uglyula
For the question about mnemonics, did u have to use the example of the 10 words in your explanation or would u get a mark for a different example ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Um I'm not sure but I just did it to make it relatable
Original post by -MLS-

I'm worried about the strength about the SS. I said that it has high mundane realism because the infants experience the events in real like e.g separation anxiety. Therefore high ecological validity, results can be generalised. Is this ok for two marks? Or did I get the whole thing wrong :s-smilie:

That should be fine, because the SS is similar to kids being left with a babysitter
Ah jheez. I was hoping that i would never have to look at research methods ever again! Cry face

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -MLS-

All the papers I've read state the SS lacks ecological validity but most answers include a "credit relevant material" , knowing this is psych you will probably get the marks lol, also how are you people revising for Unit 2? Tips etc, I mean talk about the past paper all you want but we have another one in a few days :biggrin:
I'm sorry but WHY did a 2 marker had like half a page of lines? I was getting so anxious that i wasn't writing enough:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1487
Original post by OliviaCarter
That should be fine, because the SS is similar to kids being left with a babysitter

Yes, that's what I was thinking :smile: just because the infants experience separation and reunion, stranger anxiety etc. in everyday life!
Original post by k.bryan4
surely random is as simple as putting the children's names into the hats and picking them out?

Thats what I put because the mark scheme for a papar had that answer.
Reply 1489
Original post by TrojanH
All the papers I've read state the SS lacks ecological validity but most answers include a "credit relevant material" , knowing this is psych you will probably get the marks lol, also how are you people revising for Unit 2? Tips etc, I mean talk about the past paper all you want but we have another one in a few days :biggrin:

Yeah I remember that too :smile: thanks! I really hope so, every mark counts due to the grade boundaries probably being very high!

For unit 2 I'm going to do the same with what I did with unit 1. 'The scribble method'. I'll read a research or model/evaluation in my booklet, then scribble it down 2 or 3 times on a piece of paper, things seem to stick when I do this :smile: also essay plans are also very helpful! Saj on loopa has a list of all the possible essays, so if you check these out and know what models or study's you'll write about, you'll do great!
Allssooooooo i heard someone mention that in the Bowlby's theory question, they talked about maternal deprivation hypothesis and PDD. That's still part of his theory right? I'm worried that i didn't mention them

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is mark scheme for "describe Bowlbys Theory", (6 mark outline - stated you do not need to include all points for top answers HAHAH) do you think it will be the same mark scheme this year as I've literally copied this entire mark scheme hahaha:

Bowlby’s theory of attachment suggests attachment is important for a child’s survival. Attachment behaviours in both babies and their caregivers have evolved through natural selection. Infants are innately programmed to form an attachment. This is a biological process and takes place during a critical period. The role of social releasers,such as crying and smiling, is emphasised.The child’s relationship with a PCG provides an internal working model which influences later relationships. This concept of monotropy suggests that there is one relationship which is more important than all the rest.For top band, answers do not need to address all these points.Answers which focus on MDH can be credited if the material is relevant to Bowlby’s theory of attachment eg critical period.
(edited 8 years ago)
For the 12 marker, was I right to argue that the learning theory contradicts Bowlby as it argues that nurturing (food and all that lot) forms the attachment instead of it being natural instinct like Lorenz' goslings like Bowlby's theory would suggest. I put several A02 points but threw that in, but i'm worrying that it's completely wrong?
Wasn't the strength for SS is it has high realiablity as ainsworths had a inter rater of 0.94 showing it can be easily replicated by others.
Original post by billymccreith
Not sure what you're getting at! Inter-rater reliability refers to one study. In Ainsworth's case, this is a strength; it means results are valid.

Yea? I said that it has interrater reliability because similar results are found. When takashi did the same study(using the strange situation) he got similar results to ainsworth
Reply 1495
Original post by TrojanH
This is mark scheme for "describe Bowlbys Theory", do you think it will be the same mark scheme this year as I've literally copied this entire mark scheme hahaha:

Spoiler

It very likely will be similar. And it even says we don't have to put all those points which is great. Just as long as you use appropiate study's and linked them to Bowlbys theory e.g Schaffer and Emerson conducted a study on 60 Glasgow babies. They found that many of these babies had a joint first attachment. This goes against Bowlbys theory as his idea of monotropy suggests that babies make one special attachment and the others go under a hierarchy, whereas Schaffer and emersons babies in their study had a joint first attachment. Something like that for AO2!! (Repeated 3/4 times of course) Hoping for 12/12 on the essay, I really need it haha!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by k.bryan4
ohhh I see, I think so if you mentioned like using a random generator which picked the names at random

I was going to put the hat option but thought it wouldnt count and put some other nonsense there.. goddamit -.-
Original post by Eleanor303
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you may have needed to say how the demand characteristics arise in this situation. Potentially something along the lines of the mother either knowing or guessing the aim of the study due to informed consent.

Obviously I don't know the mark schemes so don't necessarily trust my word!

That's what I thought!!
Because the question said: how many parents show demand characteristics in this investigation?
And there was no evidence of the researcher re-examining the infants so it must be during that investigation
Original post by Fleming1928
Was this for anxiety? I wrote about the bank robbery study .. I didn't think we had to do any AO2 just AO1 ?

yeah thats fine, but there was a question after that asking about a limitation i believe it was
I stupidly forgot to mention about the critical period!!!!
mentioned everything else though!
Could I still get 12/12

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending