The Student Room Group

People earning over £60000 should have a 0.8 to the pound tax rate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cleverasvoltaire
So I, as a future law student, become a barrister after working extremely hard for 3 years at Cambridge, get a starter salary of say 70,000 pounds and then only get to keep £14,000 of it? What sounds fair to me is I keep what I earn, you keep what you earn. Plain and simple.

What world do you inhabit? I'm at Oxford and the vast majority of law students never get to be barristers or solicitors, and no one earns 70k for a start. During pupillage you're lucky to earn 20k. Aside from that, we only have 15k barristers in the whole of UK. In order for you to ever join them you either need financial assets of your parents to pay for your BPTC and their contacts to get you through the pupillage or be the best 1st class student. Even then, you are self-employed and don't think it's easy to get cases as a barrister to earn something like 70k.

What is in question here is taxation. I'm not necessarily in favour of 0.8 tax OP proposed, but the fundamental point you should accept is that the money you'd earn as a barrister is used for trade. Trade of commodities and services they have not produced. Their contribution to the market is actually weak, and yet some get to have elevated salaries which can be used for the purchase of goods produced by the more productive parties. Redistributive taxation is aimed at fixing this problem of market failure. You cannot possibly justify no income tax on those highly elevated incomes whose receivers are not contributing as much to the wealth creation.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lmao, 'doesn't even cover school fees for me and my sister'

Private education is not a necessity in the slightest.

If it doesn't cover it you can't afford it, and you should just go to a normal state school

If we raised the standards of education of the state then there wouldn't be a need for private education

Of course it's not a necessity - did I say it was? Doesn't look like it.

Hahaha I said 60 000 doesn't cover it - not that we can't cover it. Our household's income is much more than 60k.

True, but until that happens, why would you not go to a private school if you could afford it?
So I, as a future law student, become a barrister after working extremely hard for 3 years at Cambridge, get a starter salary of say 70,000 pounds and then only get to keep £14,000 of it? What sounds fair to me is I keep what I earn, you keep what you earn. Plain and simple.

>Future law student
>Barrister
>70k starting salary

What on earth have you been smoking?
Original post by Reue
The argument would be that anyone working full time should not need welfare from the state to survive.

Of course. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have anyone out of work, but that's unrealistic.

I'm not quite sure why I was quoted for this comment - I really didn't suggest it was great that people don't earn enough. My argument was simply that those depending on the state should not expect to live a lovely life, and that grumbling about those earning over 60k is just a problem of jealousy.
Reply 164
Original post by ibzombie96
I'm not quite sure why I was quoted for this comment - I really didn't suggest it was great that people don't earn enough. My argument was simply that those depending on the state should not expect to live a lovely life, and that grumbling about those earning over 60k is just a problem of jealousy.

I was agreeing with you and your points, but that welfare should not be subsidising employees.
Reply 165
Original post by Brubeckian
>Future law student
>Barrister
>70k starting salary

What on earth have you been smoking?

We've already discussed him:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3312621&page=2&p=55631051#post55631051

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3312849&page=3&p=55633095#post55633095
Original post by ngb9320
People need to be looked after in our society and those at the top need to do their bit.

Anyone who disputes is q selfish *********.

It is as simple as that.

The politics of jealousy. I already only see 39p in the pound on what I earn over the higher rate threshold. I'm doing more than my fair share. It's a dreadful policy idea.
(edited 8 years ago)

have you not heard of tax bands before?
Original post by SotonianOne
Can you show me this? I find this hard to believe. The best state school will never be better than the best private school anyway.

Because that's nature's way with things. The extent of the disadvantage can be closed down through independent education, though. There's no such thing as an equal footing and never will be.

Yeah .. let's start offering teachers in the average schools a $300 000 salary, I mean, there's absolutely no economic effects on that right?

Private schools can afford those wages because they are paid for. A similar state-run scheme will bankrupt the country. The private sector in the education industry will always outperform the public sector and will fetch up the best of the best, unless your aim is to bankrupt the country by offering teachers a couple of millions to temporarily raise the standards of education to "show dem toffs n poshies"

tl;dr working conditions will always be better in the private sector

I think it's Leeds/Buckingham, possibly a few in London where the state/grammar (non fee paying) schools top the private ones and people take tests just to try and get into those. And if they fail they pay to keep their children in the private schools.

Disadvantage can be closed down by private schools? What? They widen the gaps...

Why the hell should anyone get paid that much? No job is worth that much. What school pays their teachers that much? They'd be very much in the minority even if they existed

There are perfectly good state schools out there, and even in the ****ty ones, you can succeed. So your success shouldn't be determined and aided by wealth, but by your own drive. This is all in an ideal world it seems.

Original post by ibzombie96
Of course it's not a necessity - did I say it was? Doesn't look like it.

Hahaha I said 60 000 doesn't cover it - not that we can't cover it. Our household's income is much more than 60k.

True, but until that happens, why would you not go to a private school if you could afford it?

So 60k is enough to live on.

Oh I'm sorry, oh wealthy person. Please forgive me. No need to show off :wink:

I said if you can't, you shouldn't. Or are barely able to
I think it's Leeds/Buckingham, possibly a few in London where the state/grammar (non fee paying) schools top the private ones and people take tests just to try and get into those. And if they fail they pay to keep their children in the private schools.

Disadvantage can be closed down by private schools? What? They widen the gaps...

Why the hell should anyone get paid that much? No job is worth that much. What school pays their teachers that much? They'd be very much in the minority even if they existed

There are perfectly good state schools out there, and even in the ****ty ones, you can succeed. So your success shouldn't be determined and aided by wealth, but by your own drive. This is all in an ideal world it seems.

So 60k is enough to live on.

Oh I'm sorry, oh wealthy person. Please forgive me. No need to show off :wink:

I said if you can't, you shouldn't. Or are barely able to

Of course 60k is enough to live on - I took exception to your comment that it is more than enough. For some, 60k is enough to live on, it not enough to live life as they wish to.

I'm not showing off - aim not sure there's much point showing off on an anonymous website...

And of course you shouldn't if you can't.
I don't agree. It's not to do with greed but for someone young with ambition it is not very incentivising to work hard and work your way up to then have most of your money taxed. You might as well get a run of the mill job because with the amount of tax you would be paying you wouldn't be able to fund a comfortable lifestyle that you could without the tax.

How is it selfish to want to keep as much of that money when you have worked hard for it. The kinds of jobs that pay that involve longer hours and unpaid overtime just so you get the work done that you are getting paid for. And with that money if you want a nice 4 bed roomed detached house with 3 kids and a wife. You want to provide nice things for your family. Buy your mam and dad home improvements that they could not afford and will probably never be able to get unless you give them it. Help your kids through Uni if that's what they want to do. Have and provide the things for your household that as a kid you never had. E.g a half decent car as you parents could never afford to buy a new or good second hand one. To invite your Grandparents into your house along with other family such as parents and siblings and have a nice meal and a proper dining table and have a big enough house that all these people can fit into it.

It is not greedy to work had so that you can live a better life which you can share with others in your family that brought you up and helped you through life. I see that as giving back and showing them that the effort they put into you was not wasted and that you have made something of yourself and everyone may be happy.

This is how I envision it for my self. I look forward to the day when I buy my mam home improvements to make the house nice which she would have not been able to do otherwise.

Independent education aka learning by yourself outside of school during free time to widen your knowledge

And yes, private schools can lower inequalities if a government begins a private school voucher scheme.

Yeah but that's like asking why are footballers paid more than firefighters. Private schools can afford these type of fees because they get 10 - 45k p/y per student, a state school would be lucky to receive 4k in funding per student.

As private schools do not have shareholders and theoretically cannot "reinvest", and they do not pay tax as they are charities, almost their entire expenditure is on staff wages or expansion/maintenance.

Your educational ability is not limited by your wealth. Your top opportunities may be, due to lack of family reputation and contacts, but that will never ever change regardless of whatever government does to intervene.
Original post by ngb9320
People need to be looked after in our society and those at the top need to do their bit.

Anyone who disputes is q selfish *********.

It is as simple as that.

For lots of people this will just encourage tax avoidance. Therefore probably less tax will be paid.
Original post by Noble.
Makes much more sense to increase inheritance tax than punish people that, largely, are in a better financial position through hard work and intelligence.

Inheritance tax increasing will be pointless. I think you mean lower the boundary for inheritance tax. Also If your family member has worked hard and amassed that money which has already been taxed then why should it be double taxed.

I'm not trying to argue with you though I am just suggesting.:smile:
Reply 174
Even as a leftie and a green voter, I disagree. For me, there has to be a clear distinction between earned and unearned tax. Wealth distribution needs to be done in a fair way that doesn't penalise working. I would much rather keep earned income tax as low as possible (Labours proposed 50% over £150000 is about right imo, the greens proposed 60% was too high) and instead focus on higher corporation tax for big business/multinationals and capital gains (unearned income) tax. I'd get rid of VAT while I'm at it which does more damage to the economy than it's worth and replace it with a carbon tax. However I do believe there should be pay ratios within company's of 10:1 between the highest and lowest earners to ensure everyone is paid fairly. Cooperation, not competiton, is the most efficient way to increase innovation and maintain a stable economy where everyone has a decent standard of living.

Oh and as I've already gone off on a tangent, Unconditional Basic Income is needed to abolish poverty in a world of ever-increasing automation whilst also getting rid of the benefits trap which acts as disincentive to work.
Original post by War-Mac
Inheritance tax increasing will be pointless. I think you mean lower the boundary for inheritance tax. Also If your family member has worked hard and amassed that money which has already been taxed then why should it be double taxed.

I'm not trying to argue with you though I am just suggesting.:smile:

Why is increasing inheritance tax pointless? To be honest, I just meant increasing revenue from inheritance tax as opposed to via income tax, whether that's achieved through increasing the inheritance tax from 40% or lowering the threshold (likely a combination of both) wasn't the point I was trying to make. I just don't really think when you want to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor, improve equality in any shape or form, you can overlook the simple fact that one of the key reasons inequality exists is because plenty of people inherit wealth, even with inheritance tax at what it currently is - and for no good reason other than the fact they were born into the right family. That said, I also disagree with inheritance tax on the basis that you're double taxing, but the reality is if you want to create a society that is ever going to have something that remotely resembles equality, inheritance tax will have to play a role - and I don't think the answer really lies in penalising those who, as I said, have mostly got themselves into a better financial situation through hard work and intelligence.
Original post by Noble.
Why is increasing inheritance tax pointless? To be honest, I just meant increasing revenue from inheritance tax as opposed to via income tax, whether that's achieved through increasing the inheritance tax from 40% or lowering the threshold (likely a combination of both) wasn't the point I was trying to make. I just don't really think when you want to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor, improve equality in any shape or form, you can overlook the simple fact that one of the key reasons inequality exists is because plenty of people inherit wealth, even with inheritance tax at what it currently is - and for no good reason other than the fact they were born into the right family. That said, I also disagree with inheritance tax on the basis that you're double taxing, but the reality is if you want to create a society that is ever going to have something that remotely resembles equality, inheritance tax will have to play a role - and I don't think the answer really lies in penalising those who, as I said, have mostly got themselves into a better financial situation through hard work and intelligence.

because people will take their money abroad and transfer it there before they die? or because they will give it as a gift to their children before they die? inheritance tax is pointless and one of the most avoidable - i don't even understand how the government collects revenue on this tax apart from physical assets like vehicles and mansions
Original post by EatAndRevise
Do you think a salary of £70,000 is "earning enough to never have to do my own taxes"?

accounts aren't that expensive really especially if you golf/funny handshake buddies
Original post by Birkenhead
It's more about the fact that first class degrees are usually awarded to single percentage points of students at top universities for law, whereas other degrees that are still academically respected by the Bar go up to the likes of 45%, and a first is quite an important advantage in getting pupillage, or so I've heard. I was studying English at Bristol but disliked it so much that I am now re-applying elsewhere for 2016 entry, probably for linguistics but possibly for philosophy.

it is, i remember seeing the graduate list here at warwick for law and im pretty sure the 1sts list was pretty small, the 2.1 list constituted a very large proportion instead. seems like too much effort. alright gl with that, philosophy is beast.
Original post by William Pitt
What world do you inhabit? I'm at Oxford and the vast majority of law students never get to be barristers or solicitors, and no one earns 70k for a start. During pupillage you're lucky to earn 20k. Aside from that, we only have 15k barristers in the whole of UK. In order for you to ever join them you either need financial assets of your parents to pay for your BPTC and their contacts to get you through the pupillage or be the best 1st class student. Even then, you are self-employed and don't think it's easy to get cases as a barrister to earn something like 70k.

What is in question here is taxation. I'm not necessarily in favour of 0.8 tax OP proposed, but the fundamental point you should accept is that the money you'd earn as a barrister is used for trade. Trade of commodities and services they have not produced. Their contribution to the market is actually weak, and yet some get to have elevated salaries which can be used for the purchase of goods produced by the more productive parties. Redistributive taxation is aimed at fixing this problem of market failure. You cannot possibly justify no income tax on those highly elevated incomes whose receivers are not contributing as much to the wealth creation.

I mean that people should be able to keep as much money they earn as possible. My parents should be comfortably able to afford all that is required to be a barrister. It was an example , after all, but going to the college with the highest entry reqs. at Cambridge, I should do alright.

Quick Reply

Latest