The Student Room Group

IGCSE EDEXCEL BIOLOGY PAPER 1 12TTH MAY...are you ready?!

i hate bio so i'm not 100% confident but hopefully i'll be ok. How are the rest of you feeling about it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sara_PLL
i hate bio so i'm not 100% confident but hopefully i'll be ok. How are the rest of you feeling about it?

if there are questions related to genes i will tear the paper!!!!!
Reply 2
Original post by sychosid
if there are questions related to genes i will tear the paper!!!!!

haha yeah i like genes. I hate kidneys and anything to do with plants though!
Any predictions about what you think will be on it? :smile:
Reply 4
haha yeah i like genes. I hate kidneys and anything to do with plants though!

how can you like genes? it sucks! and kidney is really awesome. i love that chapter related to nephrons but plants suck!
Reply 5
Original post by sychosid
how can you like genes? it sucks! and kidney is really awesome. i love that chapter related to nephrons but plants suck!

i get the dominant resessive allele stuff but i had to self teach myself most of it but evolution, natural selection and genetic modification are quite hard for me. I cant stand kidneys because of how confusing they are!
Reply 6
Original post by maisyb123
Any predictions about what you think will be on it? :smile:

you cant really predict what is going to be on papers like these but there hasnt been any big questions on stimuli, reflexes or homeostatis and stuff like that for a couple of years (thats what i find anyways) but im revising everything, not relying on predictions for the sciences
As ready as I'll ever be... I love the genes and anything human... Hate all the fish farming and pesticides stuff though
Reply 8
Genes always come up. so does osmosis/diffusion,
i get the dominant resessive allele stuff but i had to self teach myself most of it but evolution, natural selection and genetic modification are quite hard for me. I cant stand kidneys because of how confusing they are!

what dont you understand about these topics? you just have to remember the key words for each process. i will write down an answer that would get 6 marks for these processes and hopefully you can learn from them. memorise them and regurgitate them in the exam if they come up and thats a free 6 marks.

2.75 Describe the role of ADH in regulating the water content of the blood

If a person is sweating or hasn’t drunk enough water, the pituitary gland in the hypothalamus detects the lack of water, stimulating it to release anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) which is carried to the kidneys via the blood stream. ADH increases the permeability of the collecting duct so water is selectively reabsorbed back into the blood. The urine produced is then more concentrated and has a lower volume- this prevents dehydration.

3.30 Describe the process of evolution by means of natural selection

Evolution is the formation of a new species from an original species. At first there is genetic variation. A mutation will occur in one of the animals. There will be competition for resources (e.g. mates/food), the animal with the beneficial mutation will survive because it has a select advantage. It then mates and reproduces and the offspring will have the characteristic as genes are inherited. These offspring will also have better chance of survival so they live longer and reproduce more. The process continues (evolution) and over a long period of time the mutation becomes a common gene in a species because those without it cannot compete and go extinct- this is survival of the fittest.

5.12 Describe the use of restriction enzymes to cut DNA at specific sites and ligase enzymes to join pieces of DNA together/5.13 Describe how plasmids and viruses can act as vectors, which take up pieces of DNA, then insert this recombinant DNA into other cells

Restriction enzymes are used to cut DNA sequences at specific sites in the DNA to be inserted and the vector DNA. Ligase enzymes join the two pieces of together to produce a recombinant DNA. A plasmid or virus is used as a vector to insert the recombinant DNA in other cells.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Naveen1412
what dont you understand about these topics? you just have to remember the key words for each process. i will write down an answer that would get 6 marks for these processes and hopefully you can learn from them. memorise them and regurgitate them in the exam if they come up and thats a free 6 marks.

2.75 Describe the role of ADH in regulating the water content of the blood

If a person is sweating or hasn’t drunk enough water, the pituitary gland in the hypothalamus detects the lack of water, stimulating it to release anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) which is carried to the kidneys via the blood stream. ADH increases the permeability of the collecting duct so water is selectively reabsorbed back into the blood. The urine produced is then more concentrated and has a lower volume- this prevents dehydration.

3.30 Describe the process of evolution by means of natural selection

Evolution is the formation of a new species from an original species. At first there is genetic variation. A mutation will occur in one of the animals. There will be competition for resources (e.g. mates/food), the animal with the beneficial mutation will survive because it has a select advantage. It then mates and reproduces and the offspring will have the characteristic as genes are inherited. These offspring will also have better chance of survival so they live longer and reproduce more. The process continues (evolution) and over a long period of time the mutation becomes a common gene in a species because those without it cannot compete and go extinct- this is survival of the fittest.

5.12 Describe the use of restriction enzymes to cut DNA at specific sites and ligase enzymes to join pieces of DNA together/5.13 Describe how plasmids and viruses can act as vectors, which take up pieces of DNA, then insert this recombinant DNA into other cells

Restriction enzymes are used to cut DNA sequences at specific sites in the DNA to be inserted and the vector DNA. Ligase enzymes join the two pieces of together to produce a recombinant DNA. A plasmid or virus is used as a vector to insert the recombinant DNA in other cells.

This is great, thank you so much1
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
I've got this exam tmrw too! if anything I pray this exam paper isnt like the January 2015 one, as that was A LOT harder than the past few years!!
Reply 12
Original post by kkaur23
I've got this exam tmrw too! if anything I pray this exam paper isnt like the January 2015 one, as that was A LOT harder than the past few years!!

i think january papers tend to be harder than june papers because they are normally re-sits, so i dont think it will be as hard as jan 2015 but i am still dreading the exam tomorrow!
I haven't seen the jan 2015 paper :O

But I'm about as prepared as I'm going to be at this point in time.
:smile: Good luck everyone!
Reply 14
Original post by turn-to-page394
I haven't seen the jan 2015 paper :O

But I'm about as prepared as I'm going to be at this point in time.
:smile: Good luck everyone!

good luck to you too!
Still haven't revised reproductive cycle, brain or the water cycle/nitrogen cycle or temperature regulation, is this possible to do before tomorrow i am freaking out
I just have pre-exam nerves because biology is my first one, but i'm as ready as i'll ever be. I'm dreading the cormmss questions though... :/
Reply 17
Original post by Freestyleisa99
I just have pre-exam nerves because biology is my first one, but i'm as ready as i'll ever be. I'm dreading the cormmss questions though... :/

read the experimental-know how pages in the revision guide. Make sure you write about what you need to measure, keep the same and 95% of the time there is a mark for saying repeat the experiment :smile::smile:
I have this exam tomorrow too! A bit worried as it is my first GCSE exam :/
Reply 19
Original post by biologyisawful
Still haven't revised reproductive cycle, brain or the water cycle/nitrogen cycle or temperature regulation, is this possible to do before tomorrow i am freaking out

try to stay calm! Be positive and hopefully it will be ok! If you are finding it hard to revise from notes and the revision guide, watch youtube videos on topics you struggle with, it works for me!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending