The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FionaMG
Just wondering, have they said you can't have a parking permit? Because there are designated on-campus parking spaces for students and from the info on the website, they don't seem to be only for disabled students.
https://www.essex.ac.uk/students/campus/parking.aspx

Another option for you might be Quays. It's not actually right on campus, so there may be parking there. I did go there on a visit day with my daughter but since she won't have a car I'm afraid I didn't pay any attention to the issue of parking.

I emailed them and they said categorically no permit if you are in halls, even the quays is the same. I find it a bit stupid to be honest, I'm going to be doing a masters course and have to travel to placements that might even be in neighbouring counties, and they don't have any leeway for even that! Makes finding somewhere to live a lot harder and more stressful when they won't allow me on campus and I live the other end of the country and work full time
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by Physflop
I emailed them and they said categorically no permit if you are in halls, even the quays is the same. I find it a bit stupid to be honest, I'm going to be doing a masters course and have to travel to placements that might even be in neighbouring counties, and they don't have any leeway for even that! Makes finding somewhere to live a lot harder and more stressful when they won't allow me on campus and I live the other end of the country and work full time

I emailed my friend who lives on campus with the same problem and apparently literally everyone who has a car and lives on campus parks there anyway, they just don't check, so you might be able to do that?

That does seem stupid, especially when the placements are part of your course. :frown:

I've been racking my brain trying to remember what I saw on the visit day. I'm pretty sure there were cars parked on the street round the back of Meadows on the way to the footbridge to Quays. I tried to find it on Google maps and I think it might be Annan Road. But I don't know if the university controls that area too or if there might be other restrictions in place, like local council or whatever.

Maybe you could contact the Student Union and ask for their advice?
Got an offer of BBB for English Literature! It's my firm atm.
Reply 264
Original post by FionaMG
That does seem stupid, especially when the placements are part of your course. :frown:

I've been racking my brain trying to remember what I saw on the visit day. I'm pretty sure there were cars parked on the street round the back of Meadows on the way to the footbridge to Quays. I tried to find it on Google maps and I think it might be Annan Road. But I don't know if the university controls that area too or if there might be other restrictions in place, like local council or whatever.

Maybe you could contact the Student Union and ask for their advice?

If I remember there are signs around there but there are some local roads which have no parking. The reason they don't allow you to park if on campus is there isn't enough space as it is!
Original post by rosiekay12
How did you both get on??

Sorry, I've only just seen this! I got an offer for just one B (I already have to C's at A2) And I've put Essex as my insurance choice.
Reply 266
anyone else going to study lit and lang? i just heard back from accommodation too, i'm apparently in keynes tower?
Reply 267
How is the graduate employment rate for sociology graduates
Original post by iphie
How is the graduate employment rate for sociology graduates

google.co.uk
Applied for Computer Games course, got a considerably easy offer (I'm not from UK, so I'm not sure how it is rated in A system), so picked Essex as an insurance choice and wanted to know few basic stuffs:
Do Computer Games vary at least a bit from general CS course or the differences are only seen in the last year?
How's the city, is there enough entertainment (like clubs) ?
Are there enough facilities to take up sport? (I'm particularly interested in football, basketball, volleyball)
Is renting a flat (even during the first year) is way cheaper then living in campus? Is it worth to rent a flat over living in campus? Are there enough students that are willing to rent a flat together?

Edit: Probably, should have asked these in "Ask a student thread", but seeing that the last post in it was 1 week ago, I am more willing to ask these in more active thraed.
(edited 8 years ago)
It would be worth noting that the Uni has car park enforcement (parking tickets) and if you live on campus and park your car on campus you have to pay the full visitor charge!
Original post by FionaMG
Just wondering, have they said you can't have a parking permit? Because there are designated on-campus parking spaces for students and from the info on the website, they don't seem to be only for disabled students.
https://www.essex.ac.uk/students/campus/parking.aspx

Another option for you might be Quays. It's not actually right on campus, so there may be parking there. I did go there on a visit day with my daughter but since she won't have a car I'm afraid I didn't pay any attention to the issue of parking.

the uni classes, the quays and meadows as campus too so no parking there... the designated student parking is only for those who can register and maybe coming from further afield every day...
Original post by Bagpuss lover
the uni classes, the quays and meadows as campus too so no parking there... the designated student parking is only for those who can register and maybe coming from further afield every day...

It's ridiculous for people who need to travel to placements though to not be allowed their cars! I'm now having to pay more for private accommodation just so I can have my car
Reply 273
It's ridiculous for people who need to travel to placements though to not be allowed their cars! I'm now having to pay more for private accommodation just so I can have my car

The problem is, there physically isn't enough space. There isn't even enough space for all the students who commute and profs, so they only allow these to use the parking.
Original post by MrsAB
The problem is, there physically isn't enough space. There isn't even enough space for all the students who commute and profs, so they only allow these to use the parking.

Build a new car park then! They're not exactly lacking space haha
Has anyone heard back about accommodation yet?:smile:
Original post by helennfoster
Has anyone heard back about accommodation yet?:smile:

Yup.

I'll be in south towers, Betrand Russel Tower.
Original post by Chlomc
Yup.

I'll be in south towers, Betrand Russel Tower.

were you conditional or unconditional?
Original post by angelfox
were you conditional or unconditional?

Unconditional.
Anyone choosing/chose avon way, read mixed reviews online.. but doesnt bother me lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending