The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology unit 2 exam Tuesday 12th may 2015 PM

Scroll to see replies

It's hard to say but I have a hunch it's going to be on Mitosis and Meoisis for B2 although I really hope it's not, good luck everyone!
Original post by aliceporter
It's hard to say but I have a hunch it's going to be on Mitosis and Meoisis for B2 although I really hope it's not, good luck everyone!

i hope its not on those i struggle to comprehend with them :/
Original post by TahmidGCSE
i hope its not on those i struggle to comprehend with them :/

Me too, I understand the general idea but I don't think I could write a 6 marker on them. I've done some extra revision on them tonight just in case!
Me too, I understand the general idea but I don't think I could write a 6 marker on them. I've done some extra revision on them tonight just in case!

are you ready now I'm still feeling scared :/

Yeah same with @TahmidGCSE I struggle to grasp the concept of those I really hope that isn't one of the 6 markers!
Original post by NerdyDude
Yeah same with @TahmidGCSE I struggle to grasp the concept of those I really hope that isn't one of the 6 markers!

ikr i wonder what the 6 mark on it would sound like
ikr i wonder what the 6 mark on it would sound like

It would probably be something like 'Explain and compare the processes of Mitosis and Meoisis'. I might be totally wrong but I just feel like they're too important in the B2 syllabus for there not to have been a 6 mark question on them!
It would probably be something like 'Explain and compare the processes of Mitosis and Meoisis'. I might be totally wrong but I just feel like they're too important in the B2 syllabus for there not to have been a 6 mark question on them!

I highly doubt that will come up tbh, mainly because both processes are very long considering the 6 marks there will be more points made.

Yes that may be correct, you are very true in saying Mitosis and Meoisis are too important. I feel they will come up however, have you guys noticed how suprisingly low the grade boundaries are i mean I would saying the higher fourties would guarantee you an A* so baring that in mind Mitosis and Meoisis isn't in the big picture as long as you are confident in all other topics
I highly doubt that will come up tbh, mainly because both processes are very long considering the 6 marks there will be more points made.

All the spec says you need to know for the process of Mitosis is that the DNA duplicates and then the cell divides so, at this level, I guess mitosis isn't that long of a process. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes up!
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes that may be correct, you are very true in saying Mitosis and Meoisis are too important. I feel they will come up however, have you guys noticed how suprisingly low the grade boundaries are i mean I would saying the higher fourties would guarantee you an A* so baring that in mind Mitosis and Meoisis isn't in the big picture as long as you are confident in all other topics

Yeah that's true. However, biology has been a huge struggle for me as my teacher has failed to teach me any parts of the syllabus, apart from a couple of definitions, throughout the whole year and he has now left two weeks before the exam! So the last month of my life has been spent religiously learning the whole syllabus which is why I'm worried about this exam as I wouldn't want all this time I could have shared equally with other subjects to go to waste.
So do you reckon an aerobic and anaerobic 6 marker could be 'compare aerobic respiration and anaerobic respiration' or would it be like why/how it is carried out
Yeah that's true. However, biology has been a huge struggle for me as my teacher has failed to teach me any parts of the syllabus, apart from a couple of definitions, throughout the whole year and he has now left two weeks before the exam! So the last month of my life has been spent religiously learning the whole syllabus which is why I'm worried about this exam as I wouldn't want all this time I could have shared equally with other subjects to go to waste.

Ah I see I'm not sure if you have already got your own unique way to revise but this PDF has a brilliant summarisation of Unit 2 Biology. If you type this exactly in chrome browser it is the 3rd link 'aqa gcse biology b2 revision' hope I helped.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah I see I'm not sure if you have already got your own unique way to revise but this PDF has a brilliant summarisation of Unit 2 Biology. If you type this exactly in chrome browser it is the 3rd link 'aqa gcse biology b2 revision' hope I helped.

Thank you, that's great! These youtube videos are also really good if you need something explaining to you or for last minute revision-
https://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisThorntonUK

Good luck!
I've heard people suggest there might be more questions on cells and enzymes in tomorrow's unit 2 paper because apparently there haven't been so many in the last few, I think there's going to be a 6 marker on speciation because it always confuses people at the end of the test.
Reply 35
Original post by kate33333
I've heard people suggest there might be more questions on cells and enzymes in tomorrow's unit 2 paper because apparently there haven't been so many in the last few, I think there's going to be a 6 marker on speciation because it always confuses people at the end of the test.

God i hope so, speciation is one of my best topics
Original post by Skyliee
God i hope so, speciation is one of my best topics

Really?! Species, fossil and distribution of organisms are my worst. I'm so worried that I haven't mastered an exam technique yet, the questions get me so muddled that they ask something and the answer is something I never even thought of
Reply 37
Does anybody post an unnofficial mark scheme after the exam like last year for unit 2?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by kate33333
Really?! Species, fossil and distribution of organisms are my worst. I'm so worried that I haven't mastered an exam technique yet, the questions get me so muddled that they ask something and the answer is something I never even thought of

Species= Population that can't interbreed with any other population to produce FERTILE OFFSPRING
Natural selection= happens when a specific population is ISOLATED by a PHYSICAL BARRIER (make sure to name the physical barrier stated in the question). The conditions on either side will be different. Each individual is different due to a WIDE RANGE OF ALLELES, and the individuals with better characteristics for that specific condition will have a HIGHER chance of survival, and will be more likely to breed and pass down characteristics to offspring and next generations.
tada, seperate species because 2 populations which were originally one species now cannot breed to make a kid that is fertile :biggrin:
Original post by Skyliee
Species= Population that can't interbreed with any other population to produce FERTILE OFFSPRING
Natural selection= happens when a specific population is ISOLATED by a PHYSICAL BARRIER (make sure to name the physical barrier stated in the question). The conditions on either side will be different. Each individual is different due to a WIDE RANGE OF ALLELES, and the individuals with better characteristics for that specific condition will have a HIGHER chance of survival, and will be more likely to breed and pass down characteristics to offspring and next generations.
tada, seperate species because 2 populations which were originally one species now cannot breed to make a kid that is fertile :biggrin:

Oh my Christ 😂😂 tysm! I feel like I just missed an entire lesson on speciation at school, I think the teacher just gave us a textbook lol, I don't understand where the range of alleles come from though? Like surely if it's the same species to begin with they would all have similar genes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending