The Student Room Group

G541 Psychology OCR EXAM TOMORROW

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NK18444
Thank goodness!
I do hope it is opportunity sampling :smile:

Experiments They wanted to find out whether our hearing improved in the dark (enhanced). So they made participants listen to the same piece of classical music and a room filled with darkness. They then asked participants to rate the clearness of the music on a scale of 1 (not very clear) to 10 (very clear).What was the experimental design used 4 marksAdvantage and weakness of this research method 6 marksHow was the Dependent variable operationalised? 2 marksHow to calculate the mean in this experiment? 4 marksWhen would a median be better to use and why? 4 marks20 marksObservations:They wanted to know what people do to keep personal space on a bus. So they observed people on a bus.- Findings in a results tableType of sample used 2 marksOne strength and weakness of this sample 4 marksOutline two findings from the study: 4 marksOutline one ethical issue and how this could be addressed 4 marksStrengths and weaknesses of the observational method 6 marks20 marksSelf-reports:Why people don’t receive help when they need itDescribe why a random sample 2 marksStrength of random sample 3 marksDescribe and evaluate a suitable procedure for this study (10 marks)Discuss how researchers could change the study changing self- reports 2 marksDiscuss effects that this could have 3 marks
Original post by Bricktop
For the second last question what did you change about your method?

I changed it from a questionnaire to an unstructured interview as ir said to still use the self report method. What about you?
Original post by NK18444
I put something like this-

A strength of opportunity sampling is that no researcher bias occurs as the researcher doesn't select pps. Consequently a range of pps with different age, background and socioeconomic status can be obtained enabling the researcher to have a wide variety of social groups which allows sample to be representative(I also added something about space invaders in here)

A weakness of opportunity sampling is that the sample could have issues such as gender imbalance effecting the reliability of the behavior of pps and there behavior therefore data cannot be generalized to the target population of bus goers and there behavior regarding personal space.

For a strengths could you say that it is quick and easy to collect (official strengths from the book)? Also for the weakness I said that the sample is limited because observers only looked at people with territorial markers on buses and therefore findings cannot be generalised to the wider population consisting of people who may use other forms of transport such as trains/trams. Do you reckon that's alright?
Here are the question that i remember:

Experiments :
They wanted to find out whether our hearing improved in the dark (enhanced). So they made participants listen to the same piece of classical music and a room filled with darkness. They then asked participants to rate the clearness of the music on a scale of 1 (not very clear) to 10 (very clear).What was the experimental design used 4 marks
Advantage and weakness of this research method 6 marks
How was the Dependent variable operationalised? 2 marks
How to calculate the mean in this experiment? 4 marks
When would a median be better to use and why? 4 marks

Observations:They wanted to know what people do to keep personal space on a bus. So they observed people on a bus.- Findings in a results table Type of sample used 2 marks
One strength and weakness of this sample 4 marks
Outline two findings from the study: 4 marks
Outline one ethical issue and how this could be addressed 4 marks
Strengths and weaknesses of the observational method 6 marks

Self-reports:Why people don’t receive help when they need it Describe why a random sample 2 marks
Strength of random sample 3 marks
Describe and evaluate a suitable procedure for this study (10 marks)
Discuss how researchers could change the study changing self- reports 2 marks
Discuss effects that this could have 3 marks

Does anyone have any idea whether it was Oppertunity, time or event sampling yet?!?!?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jamesvanneste123

Experiments :
They wanted to find out whether our hearing improved in the dark (enhanced). So they made participants listen to the same piece of classical music and a room filled with darkness. They then asked participants to rate the clearness of the music on a scale of 1 (not very clear) to 10 (very clear).What was the experimental design used 4 marks

Observations:They wanted to know what people do to keep personal space on a bus. So they observed people on a bus.- Findings in a results table Type of sample used 2 marks

Self-reports:Why people don’t receive help when they need it Describe why a random sample 2 marks

Does anyone have any idea whether it was Oppertunity, time or event sampling yet?!?!?!

wow how did you remember all
Original post by veryscared123
wow how did you remember all

me and my friend quickly writing it all down as soon as we come out the exam haha
me and my friend quickly writing it all down as soon as we come out the exam haha

lol,but its good,i messed my last 2 question and realised after the exam that i answered the question wrong
Original post by veryscared123
lol,but its good,i messed my last 2 question and realised after the exam that i answered the question wrong

yeah i just answered the last question as an improvement and implications question just separated into two parts and only asking for one improvement and one implication haha

Experiments :

Behavioural coding systems can be used in event or time sampling. You would need more information to differentiate between the two. Therefore I think its opportunity
Original post by colonel146
Behavioural coding systems can be used in event or time sampling. You would need more information to differentiate between the two. Therefore I think its opportunity

bloody hope it oppertunity sampling, think like 90% of people put opportunity haha
For a weakness of repeated measures can you not have demand characteristics because they may guess the aim of the study and thus respond in a certain way (socially desirable etc) :confused:

Guys I put down opportunity too - but going through my revision, my revision materials even refer to the time and event as 'sampling techniques' which is why so many people got confused. I think event sampling is the right answer :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bambooza
really i hope it is
What's going on you lot:smile: ! I completely messed up the last question because I never saw self-report but I had two minutes to spare and managed to salvage a couple marks, but no way can this years grade boundary for an A be 52!!! It was way too hard, i probably dropped about 10 and I usually drop 4. So much for the teachers saying it was easy.
Btw it was definitely an oppurtunity sample for the bus question
It worded the question as sampling method didn't it?
For those of you still unclear on sampling methods, here's a site you may or may not have come across, great for A level revision: http://www.simplypsychology.org/sampling.html
It shows that sampling methods refer to how you get your sample, so the correct answer is opportunity sampling.

I don't really know why so many people are so confused, maybe because they both have 'sampling' in. But I can assure you that a sampling method refers to the way in which a sample is selected from a target population.

Event/time sampling are examples of data collection methods.

Also, the questioned mentioned using the procedure to identify the method. You can't identify whether it was time or event sampling from the information given because it said nothing about that. It was suggesting that it was opportunity sampling because they just observed people who happened to be on the bus with them.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would like to say that I am surprised that correlations didn't come up 2 years in a row.

But overall the paper was really nice.

The question on sampling method had to be opportunity sampling because with just the information within the observation it could have still been event or time sampling. This is because while the categories were already predetermined it is unknown whether they would have been told to write down every time the behaviour is shown (event sampling) or whether they would have marked down behaviours for like every 5 seconds in a 10 minute time period (time sampling).

But overall every single question was really nice and straight forward, the only definition that came up (thank god) was random sampling. And the 10 mark question could not have been easier to operationalise.

The only question I had no real clue on how to get more marks was the describe the data shown for the observations question. Apart from outlying the most common and least common territorial methods I had no real clue. I did however work out the range but I did not how to explain it lol.
Original post by NK18444
Yes they are really specific!!
But so may students did put opportunity sampling and technically it can be both
All we can do is hope
I'm going to ask my teacher tomorrow

I see where you're coming from, but it can't technically be both because 'sampling method' is a name that specifically refers to how you take your sample. It's really interesting to see such a simple question throw so many people though :eek:
Original post by MCmnbvgyuio
I see where you're coming from, but it can't technically be both because 'sampling method' is a name that specifically refers to how you take your sample. It's really interesting to see such a simple question throw so many people though :eek:

Yeah not the best question to ask in observations where both the sampling method and sampling techniques (time/event) are used.

It was done to be a discriminatory question to see who would be thrown off and put event/time sampling even though you didn't have enough information in the case to know which one was actually used.
Original post by kingdoo

The only question I had no real clue on how to get more marks was the describe the data shown for the observations question. Apart from outlying the most common and least common territorial methods I had no real clue. I did however work out the range but I did not how to explain it lol.

You only needed to put the most common and least common I think. It wouldn't have really made sense to write anything about the range/mean/et.c because all of the values recorded a different behaviour. You'd only really find a range if you had multiple values recording the same behaviour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending