The Student Room Group

OCR F581 Markets in Action - 11 May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
Original post by *Stefan*
Don't take this personally. It's just how it works -check out the mark schemes.

I also included three well explained points, even though I knew two were enough. Why? I don't know. I had the time so I just did it.

Truth is, however, that upon reaching two well explained points, the rest are marked as "seen" and are not graded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've actually done every past paper currently on the OCR website and read through both the mark schemes and examiners reports to go along with them - I could recite those things in my sleep. I know making 2 points is fine, though they have to be pretty well explained and evaluated points.
I always include 3+ points since I feel my answer is slightly incomplete if I leave out half the problems associated with subsidies, for example. I'm fully expecting my essay to have 'seen' plastered over about 50% of it but to be honest, I can finish the rest of the questions in 35-40 minutes (more like 45 this time, so many comment questions) so I just do it anyway.
Original post by chloe-jessica
I've actually done every past paper currently on the OCR website and read through both the mark schemes and examiners reports to go along with them - I could recite those things in my sleep. I know making 2 points is fine, though they have to be pretty well explained and evaluated points.
I always include 3+ points since I feel my answer is slightly incomplete if I leave out half the problems associated with subsidies, for example. I'm fully expecting my essay to have 'seen' plastered over about 50% of it but to be honest, I can finish the rest of the questions in 35-40 minutes (more like 45 this time, so many comment questions) so I just do it anyway.

Yeap... Totally understand that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2002
Original post by keynes24
I tend to encourage 3 well explained evaluations, some students write more than others but that is usually due to having better time management. As long as the evaluations are well explained then that's all well.

Thanks for clarifying :smile: better safe than sorry!
Reply 2003
If you just did a normal consumer surplus diagram and didn't shift the supply curve to the left, how may marks do u reckon i'll get?
It will be marked. When marking we need to go over every page.

oh phew, thank you! are you an examiner?
Original post by chloe-jessica
If you meant it in this way then fair enough, it's just myself and various friends felt as if your comments read like they were somewhat derogatory towards people who included more points as you believed they didn't truly understand what they were saying. I'm sure two would be sufficient, though I've always found it's difficult to explain fully with two points.

The comment was obviously not at all in the slightest derogatory, he was merely stating the obvious fact that it is impossible to tell whether a point you've just written can guarantee full marks, and therefore people write more to be on the safe side. Not sure how you can be offended by that.
Original post by jmuz
first of all your choice of wording 'decreased the under consumption' is a bit odd. secondly a subsidy works to increase production and consumption, as price decreases due to subsidy, supply shifts to right, increase supply, lower price = increase demand.

so if thats what your saying you said then it should be fine.

I basically said Subs. work to reduce Supply which reduces the under-consumption of the good leading to a more allocatively efficient level.
For the question asking how "price could significantly increase", is there any chance a double shift could be awarded marks? I.e. Increase in demand, decrease in supply. Instead of just one shift?
Reply 2008
Original post by midgemeister7
The comment was obviously not at all in the slightest derogatory, he was merely stating the obvious fact that it is impossible to tell whether a point you've just written can guarantee full marks, and therefore people write more to be on the safe side. Not sure how you can be offended by that.

A number of my friends and myself included, until he clarified, saw "People usually write 3 or more because they're not actually sure what "very well explained" is" and read it as "people who write three points clearly don't know how to explain their points decently". Obviously now he has explained his reasoning, it was meant in a more "people tend to include three just to be on the safe side incase the examiner thinks their first two weren't quite detailed enough".
Sorry for stating an opinion, I didn't realise that a forum designed for open discussion was clearly not the place to do this. I'll try to refrain from making any comments at all in the future. Though I'm not quite sure what this has to do with you, since he has already clarified to me what he meant and I have no issues with this. I'm not personally offended by anything he said, it's an exam discussion thread.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2009
Original post by Economistician
For the question asking how "price could significantly increase", is there any chance a double shift could be awarded marks? I.e. Increase in demand, decrease in supply. Instead of just one shift?

A few people have said this is what they answered with. The fact it said "significantly" implies that this would not be wrong :smile:
Without a supply curve and the question mentions a shift in supply it wouldn't get any marks in my view but that's me speculating.

in the 18 marker if my diagrams ave quantity demanded instead of quantity will i lose marks?
for the essay i did this
intro
subsidy-how it works+diagram with explanation
limitation 1-producers may not pass down prices/business may be inefficient
limitation-final cost of a subsidy falls on the consumer (tax payer)
alternative-regulation how it work+diagram with explanation
2 limititations then i sed subsisdy more effective....
conclcusion-depends upon size of the subisdy, elasticity and quality of the good

would this get me a decent amount of marks out of 18? im really worried that i did it wrong and i also didnt refer to case study

also for the demand and supply question the labels were in ebwteen the x and y axis, so i thought that point drawn across price down to quanitty was the market EQ and i wrote price and quantity near end of axis? i did everything else right would i lose marks for this if yes how many? thanks!
To those who didn't put a supply curve for the fall in consumer surplus, you will still get full marks, the purpose of the question is to show the new triangle area where consumer surplus has fallen. As long as you have drawn the demand curve and showed an increase in price and fall in quantity you will still receive full marks.
Original post by edrislatifi96
To those who didn't put a supply curve for the fall in consumer surplus, you will still get full marks, the purpose of the question is to show the new triangle area where consumer surplus has fallen. As long as you have drawn the demand curve and showed an increase in price and fall in quantity you will still receive full marks.

Problem is, the question asked how it would change if the supply curve shifted to the left- that necessarily means it's equally important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by edrislatifi96

You cannot guarantee that, my feeling is that some marks will get lost since the question clearly indicates a shift in supply. We just need to wait and see.
Original post by samrees29
in the 18 marker if my diagrams ave quantity demanded instead of quantity will i lose marks?

The diagram will have an incorrect label but I am unsure on how it could be marked.
Reply 2016
Original post by r-star
for the essay i did this
intro
subsidy-how it works+diagram with explanation
limitation 1-producers may not pass down prices/business may be inefficient
limitation-final cost of a subsidy falls on the consumer (tax payer)
alternative-regulation how it work+diagram with explanation
2 limititations then i sed subsisdy more effective....
conclcusion-depends upon size of the subisdy, elasticity and quality of the good

would this get me a decent amount of marks out of 18? im really worried that i did it wrong and i also didnt refer to case study

also for the demand and supply question the labels were in ebwteen the x and y axis, so i thought that point drawn across price down to quanitty was the market EQ and i wrote price and quantity near end of axis? i did everything else right would i lose marks for this if yes how many? thanks!

Depending on the level of detail in your essay points, I'd say you're on for a good mark :smile: It definitely looks like a good structure to me. The question didn't instruct us to use the case study so I don't think it was entirely necessary, thought of course it won't be penalised for people who did.
I'm really not sure what the examiner would make of your labelling of the axes and not the equilibrium price & quantity, though marking the equilibrium is only ever worth one mark on previous mark schemes so you really won't lose much.
(edited 8 years ago)
The diagram will have an incorrect label but I am unsure on how it could be marked.

Keynes - any chance you'd explain whether the "benefit of doubt" comes into play with such trivial mistakes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Keynes - any chance you'd explain whether the "benefit of doubt" comes into play with such trivial mistakes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't think that's benefit of doubt since the question indicates supply shifting. I am sure this issue will be raised and the mark scheme will clearly state whether or not it would merit marks.
I wouldn't think that's benefit of doubt since the question indicates supply shifting. I am sure this issue will be raised and the mark scheme will clearly state whether or not it would merit marks.

on the question "Using D+S diagramexplain why the price ofagricultural productscould rise significantly" which curve do you see fit to increase/decrease? I shifted demand to right to show an increase in price...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending