The Student Room Group

missed uni exams due to very bad viral infection, now I'm scared about the outcome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by celina10
Ok so basically I'm studying pharmacy at kings and a few days before my exam I started feeling very ill and got a very bad cold, so I emailed my head of department for some advice and I told her that it was just a cold. Then she said ' If your revision is affected and you feel ill prepared for the exams then the department advice would have to be not to sit. '. I was going to just sit the exams but after she said the part in bold I thought that since she had more experience with all this she probably knows what she's talking about. So I decided not to sit my exams this may (all 4).

But then, I looked at the exam absence form and it said they do no accept a cold as a mitigating circumstance. But it's too late as I already missed my exams. I wrote on the form that my revision was affected due to my illness. But I'm so scared right now.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO ME??!

If I end up getting kicked out I'm gonna hate my head of department so much for giving me such rubbish advice

If I get kicked out I don't know what I'll do with my life I might as well just kill myself, pharmacy at kings was my dream :'(

Sorry but that is kinda weak. You just gotta get on with it. When I'm ill I don't get time off school and I'm in sixth form. So if I was going to uni I would still just do the exam. Even if you are really ill you just gotta get your notes, a glass of water, some mints, lozenges and a tissue pressed against your nose to stop it running and revise for them exams.
Original post by War-Mac
Sorry but that is kinda weak. You just gotta get on with it. When I'm ill I don't get time off school and I'm in sixth form. So if I was going to uni I would still just do the exam. Even if you are really ill you just gotta get your notes, a glass of water, some mints, lozenges and a tissue pressed against your nose to stop it running and revise for them exams.

Yeah I'm not weak, I had chicken pox right before my AS exams and I still sat them and came out with As and Bs. Pharmacy at kings is 50 times harder than A levels
Reply 42
Yeah I'm not weak, I had chicken pox right before my AS exams and I still sat them and came out with As and Bs. Pharmacy at kings is 50 times harder than A levels

That's what I mean. If I was doing what you are doing no way would I miss it. My point was I'm doing something as small as AS levels and I don't miss school so if I was paying to go to uni or whatever I would be there for the exam no excuses. And I'm pretty sure you don't get chicken pox and 18 years old. If you don't have them when you are little then you get them when you are older then they are not chicken pox. It is something else but I can't remember what it is called.

Also chicken pox is just itchy spots on your body. No big deal.
Reply 43
Original post by War-Mac
And I'm pretty sure you don't get chicken pox and 18 years old. If you don't have them when you are little then you get them when you are older then they are not chicken pox. It is something else but I can't remember what it is called.

I had chicken pox when I was 18. The first event is not age-specific and can happen at any age. You can carry the chicken pox virus and have it reactivated at a later date, at which point it's shingles.

I was in bed with a temperature and vomiting for a week with chicken pox. I couldn't eat for a few days, meaning that I was too weak to walk further than the bathroom. It's not just an itchy rash.
Reply 44
Original post by Klix88
I had chicken pox when I was 18. The first event is not age-specific and can happen at any age. You can carry the chicken pox virus and have it reactivated at a later date, at which point it's shingles.

I was in bed with a temperature and vomiting for a week with chicken pox. I couldn't eat for a few days, meaning that I was too weak to walk further than the bathroom. It's not just an itchy rash.

Firstly, shingles was the word I was looking for.
Secondly, wow I did not realise that it can be that bad.

Final point is that if the OP done their AS levels in that state that you described, why not do uni exams if you have a cold.
Original post by War-Mac
That's what I mean. If I was doing what you are doing no way would I miss it. My point was I'm doing something as small as AS levels and I don't miss school so if I was paying to go to uni or whatever I would be there for the exam no excuses. And I'm pretty sure you don't get chicken pox and 18 years old. If you don't have them when you are little then you get them when you are older then they are not chicken pox. It is something else but I can't remember what it is called.

I didn't get it as a child, and chicken pox is worse in adults than in children (http://www.patient.co.uk/health/chickenpox-in-adults-and-teenagers). It's not just itchy spots, I had extreme muscle pain, a headache so bad my head literally felt like it was going to explode, I also felt very nauseous and sick like I would throw up constantly. I had spots inside in throat too and on top of that you get a very sore throat (so both of these things combined made the pain in my throat literally unbearable, also the way I memorise is by repeating things out loud over and over again which was veryy difficult for me). Despite all of this I kept pushing myself, my teachers told me not to sit the exam and repeat the year, but I didn't want to waste a year. So I was being stubborn. It was extremely painful but I worked through the pain. The only reason I didn't sit it this time is because at kings you only get 2 chances (may then august, or if you don't sit the may exams then august & then the following may (i.e. 2016)). I didn't want to waste one of my chances (and I trusted my head of department), and I thought I'm going to get august anyway so I decided not to sit it. I should've checked the form before missing the exams instead of blindly following her advice. :frown: It's my fault for being so stupid
Original post by War-Mac
Firstly, shingles was the word I was looking for.
Secondly, wow I did not realise that it can be that bad.

Final point is that if the OP done their AS levels in that state that you described, why not do uni exams if you have a cold.

Because like I said uni exams (well pharmacy at kings at least) is 50 times harder than A levels. Even when you're fully well it's extremlyy hard.
Reply 47
I didn't get it as a child, and chicken pox is worse in adults than in children (http://www.patient.co.uk/health/chickenpox-in-adults-and-teenagers). It's not just itchy spots, I had extreme muscle pain, a headache so bad my head literally felt like it was going to explode, I also felt very nauseous and sick like I would throw up constantly. I had spots inside in throat too and on top of that you get a very sore throat (so both of these things combined made the pain in my throat literally unbearable, also the way I memorise is by repeating things out loud over and over again which was veryy difficult for me). Despite all of this I kept pushing myself, my teachers told me not to sit the exam and repeat the year, but I didn't want to waste a year. So I was being stubborn. It was extremely painful but I worked through the pain. The only reason I didn't sit it this time is because at kings you only get 2 chances (may then august, or if you don't sit the may exams then august & then the following may (i.e. 2016)). I didn't want to waste one of my chances (and I trusted my head of department), and I thought I'm going to get august anyway so I decided not to sit it. I should've checked the form before missing the exams instead of blindly following her advice. :frown: It's my fault for being so stupid

Now I see where you are coming from with not doing the Uni exams. Also I hope I don't get chicken pox again if it is that bad.

Also its kind of your tutors fault as they too should have known the rules and they advised you not to sit the exam.

Its kind of there fault.

Don't panic about it (I know it's hard not to) Just hope that it turns out ok.
Reply 48
Because like I said uni exams (well pharmacy at kings at least) is 50 times harder than A levels. Even when you're fully well it's extremlyy hard.

I think that I understand now.
You just wanted to be on form for the exam so you could have the best chance. I apologise if any of my previous comments offended/upset you in any way.
Original post by War-Mac
Now I see where you are coming from with not doing the Uni exams. Also I hope I don't get chicken pox again if it is that bad.

Also its kind of your tutors fault as they too should have known the rules and they advised you not to sit the exam.

Its kind of there fault.

Don't panic about it (I know it's hard not to) Just hope that it turns out ok.

Original post by War-Mac
I think that I understand now.
You just wanted to be on form for the exam so you could have the best chance. I apologise if any of my previous comments offended/upset you in any way.

Thank you, at least one person understands :smile: If my head of department hadn't said that I would've just sat my exams no matter how painful it was as I wouldn't have wanted to risk it. But she seemed so sure so I trusted her. It's okay I understand why you might have thought that
Reply 50
Original post by thisIZwar
Okay firstly- wanting to kill your self because you missed your exams? Bit of an over reaction. Secondly, let's be realistic, you missed your exams because of a cold. You'll be pretty lucky to resist your exams as a first attempt with that excuse but you'll most probably get a resist (second attempt)

And I'd advise against handing in more than one doctors note- it won't go in your favor. In fact, it'll probably go against you. These people aren't stupid- more than one sick note is going to look suspicious to even the least intelligent of people.

Perhaps rather than jumping straight to the gun next time you receive an email telling you not to attend 'IF' you aren't well enough you should simply suck it up. I've personally revised and attended exams in far worse medical states and have managed to pass with A's+B's.

This might seem a bit harsh but saying you'll kill yourself if your school doesn't accept your cold as an excuse? It really is an insult to those families who have lost loved ones to mental illness and suicide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you do realize that the number of things you need to know for A levels and uni exams is like comparing UK to Sealand?
You were freezing cold, shivering, couldn't walk straight and vomiting with a very painful headache. Okay?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
You were freezing cold, shivering, couldn't walk straight and vomiting with a very painful headache. Okay?

Also had diarrhoea.

I actually had all those things minus the vomiting, I also felt very light headed and dizzy which got worse when I tried to focus on my work. Do you know anyone who had those things you stated and was still able to do the exams in august?
Original post by Brubeckian
Also had diarrhoea.

Yep, that too. Maybe add in severe back pain, which sadly has been the case for myself recently :cry2:

Original post by Brubeckian
Also had diarrhoea.

Thank you for the advice :smile:
okay first of all, as other people have said, killing yourself, don't be so dramatic and inconsiderate to people who are in that bad a place. You missed exams, just email the uni and examiners and show them the email from your tutor. They will probably ask you to attend a hearing to discuss if you had a reason. If you get a drs note then there is really a very small chance that they will argue. It may help if you say that you had breathing difficulties due to the cold as it is easy to struggle with lung infections around that time. But do not worry they will do everything they can to help you and if it is your tutors fault then you can resit them, which is more than some people get.
Original post by rosieskinner
okay first of all, as other people have said, killing yourself, don't be so dramatic and inconsiderate to people who are in that bad a place. You missed exams, just email the uni and examiners and show them the email from your tutor. They will probably ask you to attend a hearing to discuss if you had a reason. If you get a drs note then there is really a very small chance that they will argue. It may help if you say that you had breathing difficulties due to the cold as it is easy to struggle with lung infections around that time. But do not worry they will do everything they can to help you and if it is your tutors fault then you can resit them, which is more than some people get.

Haha you think I won't be in that bad of a place if I get kicked out? Pharmacy at kings is the only thing I have to be proud of, if I lose this I lose everything. So I'm being serious. Funny how everyone thinks I'm not being serious. I'm kind of calm now because I'm thinking that even if I do get kicked out I won't have to stay on this world to deal with the pain as I'll be gone :smile:

Does it seem like my head of department advised me that it'll be okay if I didn't do it from the quote in the OP?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Genesis-ar92
a cold?

Are you doing A levels right now? Or are you at uni?
Original post by Dinaa
Did not read

but srsly.. because of a cold? :erm:

Original post by hotliketea
a COLD

that to the side , you can rely on her email as overruling the guidelines. as someone who had higher authority and was aware of the full extent of your condition (i.e. not very serious) , and she still gave advice , she would be unable to claim that your circumstances did not fit the mitigating circumstances outlined in the guidelines - she implied that they did.

what they will probably do is require you to resit in august.

Original post by Genesis-ar92
a cold?

See my edit I just want to clarify that it's actually not a cold. I emailed my uni advice service and they told me that the doctors note describes symptoms of a very bad viral infection not a cold.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending